Starting Over From Scratch.

2100, good number... not killer, but still some self control needed, best wishes, I bet you'll succeed big time!

Reactions: Sci
HST
Im past the noob neural-learning part of new training, time to move some real iron!

•split squat: 95 @2x10
•Romanian deadlift: ramp to 285x5
•iso-lateral Pulldown: 180 @2x8
•iso-lateral Decline Bench: 180 @2x8

This next part: shoulder workout is critical. The best of the best of shoulder exercises, based on hundreds or hours of looking at kinesiology, multiple exercises and recently, very in-depth study of the latest EMG testing.
Below, The ultimate EMG stimulation of medial and lateral deltoids, as well as great for trapezius, rhomboids, infraspinitus and supraspinitus.
•Standing DB row: 40 @2x9
Incredible deltoid pump for the rear and side heads.
Next, no surprise here, standard overhead pressing is still king of anterior deltoid stimulation, as well as great for the serratus anterior, trapezius and supraspinitus.
•1 arm DB Press: 40 @2x8
Next, more work for the rotator cuff, medial and posterior deltoids, low traps
•facepulls 27.5 @2x15
Some serratus work, though I might drop these, as the 1 arm dumbbell press worked my serratus anterior plenty.
•scap pushups BW @2x15
•s/l standing calf raise: 90 @2x10
•s/l seated calf raise: 45 @2x

Very happy with strength gains.

Weigh in @193 pounds

cool, good stuff man!
And good job on the fat loss. I wish I'd have done that 18 years ago. I let myself get really tubby, even induced glucose processing issues, had to lose a lot to help them. Not back to total normal but my blood sugar is a LOT better. Stats show 1 out of 3 Americans have glucose intolerance/pre diabetes and are at risk, so getting lean is for sure the best prevention. That and more muscle, it's shown to help insulin sensitivity a LOT.

Hey mate. I'm in the same boat as you. Coming off the end of a cut and can't decide whether to continue until the abs are in properly or bulk as I feel so small.
I'll start a progress thread tomorrow with photos and maybe you could give me your opinion?

I used to do HST a while ago and had good results, but haven't trained properly in a long while. Looking to get back into it and hoping muscle memory helps me out a bit..

2 sets was too much for me while i’m still cutting and a “noob” on the fitness scale.
1 hard set each.
HST
•split squat: 95x12
•Romanian deadlift: 245x12
•s/l standing calf raise: 90x12
•iso-lateral Pulldown: 180x9
•Isi-lateral decline Bench: 180x9
•Standing DB row: 45x10
•one-arm DB press: 40x12

Weigh in @195 pounds

Next, more work for the rotator cuff, medial and posterior deltoids, low traps
•facepulls 27.5 @2x15

I have wondered about these... I've seen a few variations, but I was under the impression that the motion of these were to perform them ending with your fists facing the ceiling, upper arms perpendicular to the floor (like a double biceps pose), yet I see this other version around which pulls the cable up towards the face, arms parallel to the floor, and in the vid it's almost like the fellow is shrugging his shoulders up to get it to his face, which seems to defeat the purpose..

In the version I'm familiar with the benefit is to train the rotator cuffs/mid back/rear delts. Perhaps this second version is moreso for strength and the first is a rehab/prehab exercise?

This is the version I'm referring to (just the first exercise he does, not the overhead one)

I have wondered about these... I've seen a few variations, but I was under the impression that the motion of these were to perform them ending with your fists facing the ceiling, upper arms perpendicular to the floor (like a double biceps pose), yet I see this other version around which pulls the cable up towards the face, arms parallel to the floor, and in the vid it's almost like the fellow is shrugging his shoulders up to get it to his face, which seems to defeat the purpose..

In the version I'm familiar with the benefit is to train the rotator cuffs/mid back/rear delts. Perhaps this second version is moreso for strength and the first is a rehab/prehab exercise?

This is the version I'm referring to (just the first exercise he does, not the overhead one)

If you look at what my shoulders and arm are doing, it is obvious i am I’m using the infraspinitus and teres minor to externally rotate the humerus, the posterior and medial deltoids to extend the humerus, and the trapezius and rhomboids to retract the scapula.
I am not familiar with the other motion, but this is a natural motion using all of the above muscles synergistically.

I have extensive study under my belt of kinesiology.

If you look at what my shoulders and arm are doing, it is obvious i am I’m using the infraspinitus to externally rotate the humerus, the posterior and medial deltoids to extend the humerus, and the trapezius and rhomboids to retract the scapula.
I am not familiar with the other motion, but this is a natural motion using all of the above muscles synergistically.

The guy in the video you posted is doing it wrong in my opinion. [emoji6]
Edit: actually it isn’t bad, the grip is just more unnatural.

If you look at what my shoulders and arm are doing, it is obvious i am I’m using the infraspinitus and teres minor to externally rotate the humerus, the posterior and medial deltoids to extend the humerus, and the trapezius and rhomboids to retract the scapula.

I have extensive study under my belt of kinesiology.

Ah ok fair enough, yeah you're right there is more external rotation than I thought, my bad, I guess I was more referring to more of the other style of doing it where there is just horizontal extension with no rotation, ah cool didn't realise it was you in the vid!

The guy in the video you posted is doing it wrong in my opinion. [emoji6]
Edit: actually it isn’t bad, the grip is just more unnatural.

Ah ok, I dunno, I find that grip to be easier to be honest hehe, as it keeps the wrists from flexing like it can in the overhand grip. But yeah fair enough, I might give both more of a fair go.

Do you advise at the end of this motion to externally rotate your shoulders to the max that you can? (Like a full double biceps pose?) I guess with heavier weights it would be hard to.. maybe just for more rehabbing?

The way the other guy is doing it is more of a rehab way of isolating the infraspinitus muscle.
If your goal is just rotator cuff strength, then that form is the way to go. I prefer multiple joint natural compound movements to strengthen the body as a whole.

The way the other guy is doing it is more of a rehab way of isolating the infraspinitus muscle.
If your goal is just rotator cuff strength, then that form is the way to go. I prefer multiple joint natural compound movements to strengthen the body as a whole.

Ah yep makes sense, fair enough. Have had shoulder issues in the past and wondering which version would be most preventative for injury. Both have their pros I guess. Cheers appreciate it :)

Ah yep makes sense, fair enough. Have had shoulder issues in the past and wondering which version would be most preventative for injury. Both have their pros I guess. Cheers appreciate it :)

Try both ways, whatever feels better is the right choice.

I can’t go into a caloric deficit! The HST training is working extremely well. I’m hungry all the time, with a dull soreness throughout my body, especially shoulders. Natural anabolic stimulus going on, and I have to go with it. The hunger impulse is so powerful, my willpower cannot force a caloric deficit.

I’m going to go with the lean mass gains happening, and then cut later. Short cycles of bulking and cutting. 6-10 pounds up or down, at a time.

HST
Moving on to 5s phase. No zig-zag, it seems illogical to regress loading and I have yet to see compelling evidence for zig-zag, maybe I overlooked it.
Even without any zig-zag, starting with the loads I left off in the 10s phase, still barely needed any rest between the first 2 sets.

3 sets of 5 reps
•split squat: 95
•Romanian deadlift: 245
•s/l standing calf raise: 90
•iso-lateral Pulldown: 180
•Iso-lateral decline Bench: 180
•Standing DB row: 45
•1-arm DB press: 40

Weigh in @198 pounds! Wow, probably a majority is water retention and glycogen loading, but definitely have some hypertrophy starting of some sort.

Back