Stick to basics?

Martin

Use pushpress to get beyond 5RM, so don't worry too much about the RM there!

It is still a military press but you use your legs to push the weight up (a kind of cheat).
wink.gif

Push presses are great but first add around 5lbs to the bar each session until you find your new 5RM. Then carry on with that for a week or two. Push presses will allow you to push past your 5RM or to get more work done with your top loads. Be sure to lower the load under control.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Be sure to lower the load under control.</div>

Quite right there! It is basically a negative for military presses.

Hey, I just put in my number into the calculator. One problem, since I am doing an A/B workout routine, should I just do the 4th, 5th, and 6th workout for each 2 week block?

Just start at around 70% of your RM for that rep range and progress from there to your RM over the two weeks.

For a two week block you could do something like:

75% A, 80% B, 85% A
90% B, 95% A, RM B

Don't get swamped in the detail though. All sorts of variations exist. Just keep progressing the loads by around 5% each w/o. Once you get to the end of the 5s you will be at your RMs for both A &amp; B w/os.

^Awesome! I'm really excited to get started. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Can I alternate bench press with dumbbell bench press instead of w/ weighted dips? Become for some reason they moved the dipping station to the 2nd floor at my gym. And this is wear they keep all the machines, so i don't want to have to carry weights up the stairs.

Well, you can if you really want to, but ....DIPS RULE! I don't even bench press anymore, I find dips to be so much better.

1)Dips stretch my pecs much more than bench press.
2)No shoulder problems dipping, yes with benching.
3)I am stronger at dips, better leverage.
4)Dips are a more natural movement, the body was made to push its own weight up, not to lie on your back and push something over your chest.

Thats an even better idea, Quad! Also you could talk to the management about leaving a small set of weights up there for you. Unless you are pretty advanced, one can generally get along with a 5, 2 10s, 25, 35, and a 45. There should be plenty of those around.

<div>
(Lol @ Dec. 24 2006,07:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just start at around 70% of your RM for that rep range and progress from there to your RM over the two weeks.

For a two week block you could do something like:

75% A, 80% B, 85% A
90% B, 95% A, RM B

Don't get swamped in the detail though. All sorts of variations exist. Just keep progressing the loads by around 5% each w/o. Once you get to the end of the 5s you will be at your RMs for both A &amp; B w/os.</div>
So this is what I have thus far for my numbers:

HST.jpg

Since I am doing the A/B routine, would I just start out w/ workout 4A (bench press, military press, bent row, squats) as my first workout, and workout 4B (dips, push press, lat pulldown, deadlift) as my second workout and so on? This will mean that my rep maxes (15s, 10s, 5s) for each set of exercises will be on back to back workouts. This won't diminish the hypertrophy effect at all will it?

&quot;I am also doing the increasing sets for each 2 week block (1x15 first, 2x10 second, and 3x5 third). &quot;

Isn`t it better to do 2 sets at the first week of each RM, and one set at the second week?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Since I am doing the A/B routine, would I just start out w/ workout 4A (bench press, military press, bent row, squats) as my first workout, and workout 4B (dips, push press, lat pulldown, deadlift) as my second workout and so on? This will mean that my rep maxes (15s, 10s, 5s) for each set of exercises will be on back to back workouts. This won't diminish the hypertrophy effect at all will it? </div>

No, your hypertrophy is equated to progression, caloric intake, protein synthesis for the most part. But say your squat max is done on the same day or consecutive day after your deadlift, it may suffer a bit as the legs are fatigued from the former workout. But if you have that day off between them, your max should be realistic.
It may just be me, but looking at your 15rm and your 5rm's, you made the progression without having to adjust anything along the way, so I'd wonder if you're not actually stronger than the level at which you're working. It is possible that the cutbacks you're making when you change mesocycles could be smaller, with you ending up at some larger numbers, depending on how much trouble you had with the entire cycle. It just looks like you breezed it through. I'm just used to a linear progression where I don't cut back at all, and have to rework some of my days numbers the next workout in order to progress. It's made me Godblessed strong lately, but I've got a few years doing this too. JMO.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 02 2007,16:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It may just be me, but looking at your 15rm and your 5rm's, you made the progression without having to adjust anything along the way, so I'd wonder if you're not actually stronger than the level at which you're working. It is possible that the cutbacks you're making when you change mesocycles could be smaller, with you ending up at some larger numbers, depending on how much trouble you had with the entire cycle. It just looks like you breezed it through. I'm just used to a linear progression where I don't cut back at all, and have to rework some of my days numbers the next workout in order to progress. It's made me Godblessed strong lately, but I've got a few years doing this too. JMO.</div>
Yea, I am stronger than the numbers I put on my 5 rep maxes because I don't want to get stuck being that it's my first cycle, and also I hurt my knee recently and don't think it would be wise to go too heavy on squats. But what changes would you suggest I make to my program?

There's nothing wrong with your program. I'm not sure what kind of &quot;push&quot; presses you're doing, but if they're like the bench, you shouldn't need to do both. As for injury prevention, watch that knee, how it feels and reacts. We couldn't tell you what to do there; you have to go by feel and be cautious. A lot of guys in here don't bench, me included. For more complete development of the pecs, you can alternate inclines with dips. That really works well.
The only other thing is what I suggested: make the zigzag a little less if you can, to get a bit further into the work aspect. (load) If you hit the wall, just repeat the weight next workout. You'll be amazed as you get it each time you do that. HST is easy in some ways, but not a vacation.
No work: no results.
Too much work: negative results. (excess DOMS, fatigue, joint pains, inhibition...hmmm, I'm describing failure training here!)
Eat and sleep.

^push press are basically military press but you use your legs. should i just stick to military press for every workout? i am soo confused, lol.

I repeat my question. Martin said :
&quot;I am also doing the increasing sets for each 2 week block (1x15 first, 2x10 second, and 3x5 third). &quot;
And i asked :

Isn`t it better to do 2 sets at the first week of each RM, and one set at the second week?

What do you think?

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Jan. 03 2007,04:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I repeat my question. Martin said :
And i asked :

What do you think?</div>
No because then you will be lowering your overall workload the second week and that is the opposite of what you want to do.

Back