TangoDown's HST Cluster Log

Plate on the finger is always a bastard.

Nice pull PR, keeping track of BW is always important in this regard.

I've definitely got more in the tank. I'd be floored if I could get 315lb x 5 before the end of the cycle.

I'll weigh myself again when I get the chance.

Get 10-12 reps. All work loads clustered 3 minutes apart save for curls.

Stats: 5'8", 175lb

Leg Press (non-plate loaded): 335lb x 5, x 5

Bench Press: 125lb x 5, 180lb x 3, x 2, x 1, 125lb x 15

Weighted Pullups: Belt + 37.5lb x 5, x 5

Some weird woman asked to work in on the leg press and basically used it like a cardio machine. Light weight half reps for upwards of 2 minutes. Therefore, she extended the rest period between the first and second clusters to about 5 minutes. Still, I'll progress to 340lb.

Bench press, failed 4th rep. Spotter was overzealous on the 3rd rep but I'm going to count it because I know I could have done it by myself. First time handling this weight. Hopefully I'll see an increase next time. Otherwise... :mad:

Pullups went fine. Pushing back to 42.5lb next session and see if I can't PR.

Sumo Deadlift: 302.5lb (math fail) x 3, 305lb x 1

Incline BB Bench: 95lb x 5, 160lb x 4, x 3, x 2, 105lb x 15

Weighted Pullups: Belt + 42.5lb x 4, x 4, x 2

Sumo deadlift math fail, and felt tight. Will hopefully get 5 reps next time because 2.5lb shouldn't make that much of a difference.

I think I should be able to get 5 reps here. Will stick with weight until I do. If I do, that will be the 3rd PR with this weight this cycle.

Pullups, should also obviously be able to get 5.

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 180lb x 4 (PR + 1 rep), x 2, x 1, 130lb x 15 (PR + 5lb)

Weighted Pullups: BW x 5, Belt + 42.5lb x 5 (PR + 1 rep), x 2

Leg Press (non-plate loaded): 250lb x 5, 340lb x 5, x 5

Bench, +1 rep. Still, I need 5 reps to consider this a legitimate PR. Had some bicep pain after bench pressing. That's why I cut pullups short. Iced and now it's fine. We'll see how it feels next session. If it starts up again, it may be time to start thinking about SD.

Pullups, last rep might have been questionable but I think I'll count it.

Leg press, I shortened the ROM a bit from pretty deep to a bit deeper than parallel because the first rep always felt like a 1RM. If there's a problem with that, feel free to inform. Now, I'm letting the plates rest for half a second before I push out the next rep to ensure full ROM, so it's kind of like a deadlift lol.

Last edited:

Sumo Deadlift: 135lb x 5, 225lb x 5, 305lb x 5, x 0

Incline BB Bench: 95lb x 5, 160lb x 4, x 2, 110lb x 15 (PR + 5lb)

BW Pullups: 15

Sumo deadlift, got to 305lb x 5, which ties what I had last cycle for conventional (albeit, there may have been some lower back rounding with the conventional lift). Couldn't get the weight off the ground on second cluster, so I'll repeat 305lb once again.

Incline Bench, I got 1 less on the second cluster and called it a day. This time though, no help from the spot (which I think I had a little bit of last time). Will repeat once again. Did PR on the 15RM set. Will probably move onto 115lb.

Bicep started hurting again. Tendon may be telling me it's time to wrap up the cycle. Will do a couple more sessions and then probably SD.

Decided to test max pullups instead of doing weighted pullups. Got 15. Was on a fat bar, and felt like I had at least 1 more rep in the tank. If I trained them for endurance, I think I'd have at least 20 in no time.

Didn't get to post last session's workout.

This session, got 310lb x 5 sumo deadlift. I should be able to hit 315lb x 5, and could push beyond before the end of this cycle. Didn't cluster it. Just did the first set.

I think I might deload pushing movements and see if I can't PR again on incline bench and get a PR on flat bench.

Weighted pullups, Belt + 45lb x 4. Almost had the 5th rep. Will repeat next session and see if I can't PR again. If so, it'll be the 3rd PR for pullups this cycle.

Bench Press: 125lb x 5, 125lb x 5, 160lb x 5, x 3, x 4

Leg Press (non-plate loaded): 250lb x 5, 350lb x 5, x 5

Weighted Pullups: BW x 5, Belt + 45lb x 5 (PR + 2.5lb), x 3, x 2

Deloading pushing. Could have done 2 clusters of 5 but messed around a bit with form. Decided to just stick with the grip width I'm currently using.

Pullup PR. 3rd PR this cycle and 2nd after deloading the movement.

Leg press still going up.

Sumo Deadlift: 135lb x 5, 225lb x 5, 315lb x 5

Incline BB Bench: 95lb x 5, 145lb x 5

Weighted Pullups: Belt + 47.5lb x 4

Didn't push very hard because I have a nasty cold.

Deadlift came off the floor easily, but again, I get lazy and don't get the chest up before the lift, which causes rounding. I'll repeat the weight next session and try to make sure the back is flexed before each rep. That might change the easiness of the reps.

My hamstrings do feel like **** lol.

Incline bench is being deloaded.

Pullups, I might have been able to get 5 reps but the set itself was very slow so I didn't want to trick myself into a PR.

Leg Press (non-plate loaded): 250lb x 5, 355lb x 5, x 5

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 170lb x 5, x 5, 135lb x 12

Weighted Pullups: BW x 5, Belt + 47.5lb x 4, x 3, x 2

Didn't get to post the last 2 sessions because extended family was in town so I was pretty busy.

Last time I deadlifted, got 2 reps with 315lb, but did it with back completely braced. Here's hoping it was a fluke considering it came off the floor so easily when I was being lazy with spinal bracing. If it doesn't next session, either A. I need to deload it or B. I'm not strong enough to get 5 reps with it without thoracic rounding.

I had gotten only 4 reps on leg press for the first cluster with 355lb, so I pushed to 5 today and thus I'll be pushing onto 360lb.

Finished bench in 2 clusters. Hopefully this means the deload worked. Only got 12 reps with 135lb, whereas last time I benched, I had 15. I may have been fatigued from the 2nd cluster of the work set. I might just stop doing the 15RM set until I PR.

Onto 175lb, which was my 5RM. If I can hit 10 reps in 2 clusters, I'll be fairly confident that I can push to 180lb x 5 and maybe even beyond.

Pullups, failed rep 3 of last cluster. I may have 5 reps in me for the first cluster. We'll see.

Last edited:
Your strength seems to be coming along really well these days.

Main thing that's shot through the rough is my weighted pullup strength. It's weird because I have barely gained any weight this cycle. I think I need a metabolic reset soon.

Flat bench is still a pain in the ass.

Flat Bench is so form dependent IMO.

I've never found the perfect groove for it, frankly, despite 2nd and 3rd party review, videos, written advice etc. It 'looks' good, but it just doesn't feel as good as it looks. Ergo, I use Incline and Dips preferentially.

I seem to have better luck with incline bench. Flat bench I always struggled to make strength gains, incline I keep making steady gains. Not sure if this would be a similar case for you.

Sumo Deadlift: 135lb x 5, 225lb x 5, 315lb x 5

Incline BB Bench: 95lb x 5, 155lb x 5, x 5

Weighted Pullups: Belt + 47.5lb x 4, x 3, x 3

Today was a good session. I believe Sumo Deadlift was pulled with a flat back, but then again I didn't have anybody filming me. I do know I need to work on keeping my neck neutral through the lift rather than pulling it up toward the ceiling as the lift progresses. I also could work on actively squeezing my glutes. If I've got someone with me next deadlift session, I'll be sure to have them film me for reference. The last rep, I waited maybe 5-10 seconds before pulling off the ground due to fatigue, but I'll count it.

Incline bench, finished it in 2 clusters, so I'm confident I can PR next time around. Hopefully I can repeat this type of progress when I'm flat benching next session.

Weighted Pullups, I finished all 10 reps in 3 clusters, but I didn't think I had rep 5 in the first cluster. I might just push for that 5th rep next session, though time between reps when I'm hanging from the bar seems to be pretty significant.

Leg Press (non-plate loaded): 250lb x 5, 360lb x 5, x 5

Bench Press: 115lb x 5, 175lb x 5, x 5

Weighted Pullups: BW x 5, Belt + 47.5lb x 4, x 3, x 3

Bench is looking like a PR next time around. Happy about that.

Leg Press is still increasing.

Pullups, I still didn't push to 5 reps.

Debating over sumo deadlifting 315lb x 5 one more time on Friday. Friend will probably be there, so I'll tell him to tell me to get tight along with yelling out other cues, and maybe he'll film me as well. Back was trashed last session to the point where I thought I herniated something, but it's pretty much good to go now.

Last edited:
PR'd on incline bench - 160lb x 5. ****in' spotter messed up my first set by putting his ****ing hands right in front of my face. which caused awkward bar traveling and thus failure after 3 reps. Waited 5 minutes and then got all 5 reps. I think I can push to 165lb, but I think SD needs to come. 315lb was a 1RM on Sumo Deadlift, whereas I pulled it 5 times last time. Lower back is also started to feel like it needs an SD.

So I'll push forward and see if I can't hit 180lb x 5 on flat bench, and then maybe even get 185lb x 5, and push one more time with incline. Deadlift, I may do a mini deload or just do some light weight to maintain the movement pattern for the next few sessions until I SD.

How the **** do I get 10 reps in 2 clusters with 175lb bench and don't progress to 5 reps on 180lb? This makes absolutely no sense. Why does my incline bench PR 3 times this cycle and my flat bench not PR once? My traps are dug into the bench, feet flat on the floor, and bar is lowered under the nipples. Glutes are squeezed. I'm not really initiating a ton of leg drive, but I'm not doing any leg drive either for incline bench.

So what gives? This is really pissing me off.

16 body weight pullups. May have hit that 17th rep, but I don't know. If I trained for endurance, I'd have over 20 easily.

Non-plate loaded leg press: 365lb x 5, x 3, x 1, clustered.

I'll be flat benching again on Friday or Saturday. If I don't get 5 reps, I'm going to explode.

Flat bench sucks. Crappy movement, at least for me it feels unnatural and weird on my shoulders. I'd much rather train decline bench or incline bench any day.
So you are not alone in having trouble with the flat bench. Lots of expert trainers recommend decline and/or incline bench as superior movements to the flat bench.

Get 10 reps. Work sets clustered 3 minutes apart.

Sumo Deadlift: 135lb x 5, 225lb x 5, 285lb x 5, x 5

Incline Bench: 95lb x 5, 165lb x 5, x 4, x 1 (PR), 120lb x 15 (PR)

Weighted Pullups: BW x 5, Belt + 35lb x 5, x 5

Decided to deload pulling movements. I know I should SD, but I want to see what I can push to before I absolutely need to decondition.

With Sumo DL, I focused on spreading the floor which means pushing knees out. I also didn't pause between reps, which meant slight bouncing off the floor. Sue me lol. This will probably stop when the weight gets heavier.

Incline Bench PR once again. Now I'm only 10lb under my Flat Bench 5RM.

Pullups were hard but this is expected when the deload is needed.

Anybody know any good mobility drills for shoulders? I can't really PNF them without a knowledgeable partner. I don't have any issues, but I think I could see an increase in ROM which would lead to better strength. And I'd prefer some more flexibility if I decide to transition from flat bench to weighted dips next cycle.

Back