tdawg_33's Training Log

My blocks are the old kind. Yeah I have standard weights that I can do that with, but I was lazy and running a little behind. I found that neutral grip and reverse grip exercises when heavy seem to aggrivate my tendonitis so I should've known it was coming lol. BTW is saw your pics. Looking good man! I too was a skinny kid (weighed 150 at 6' in highschool) I was 220 yesterday which matches my previous high, but I don't feel as fat as last time (thank you HST) think my bodyfat is 14 to 16% range at best guess.

I have gone through a bit of a rough patch sleep wise this week (daughter teething) so I am just looking to survive this next week. I know excuses,excuses. Gonna try to just Deadlift once a week cause it just seems to really run me down when I get into the real heavy loads. Prob do Squats on Mon/Wed and Deads on Fri. I KNOW I need to add in hamstrings to that Like SLDL on Mon. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks in advance

Today's workout Had to get up at 4:30 am!!! and lift by 5:15. NOT BY CHOICE

Squats 305 x 4 320 x 2,2 305 x 2 (Just wanted to see what 320 felt like. Hard to squat that early)
Bench 215 x 4,4,3,3 (Last rep was it. RPE 10)
DB Row 105 x 4,4,4,4 (Wanted to focus on controlling weight to avoid aggrivating my tendonitis)
Push Press 145 x 4,4,4,4 (Wow I was suprised how effortless these seemed today)

You could use SLDLs but if you wanted less of a hit to your lower back then Romanian Deadlifts might be better. Additionally you could also try Glute Ham Raises or even Leg Curls if you have the equipment to do them and take even more strain of your back.

If back isn’t an issue then perhaps you could do the SLDLs or Romanian DLs on Mon and do some Glute Ham Raises or Leg Curls on Wed so you’re doing a Hamstring exercise each workout. That should leave your lower back fresh for Deadlifting on Fri.

Last edited:
Thanks Grunt. I was kinda leaning towards doing RDL mon. and Leg curls wed. So the sleep deprivation is in full gear now. But I'm gutting it out best I can. After my first set of squats I sat on my bench gasping for air and just kinda staring into the distance. Not a good start, but I just kinda forced through squats and decided to just have a fun day to keep my spirits up.

Fridays workout: Week 7

Squats: 305 x 3 sets of 4 ( Just feeling deadlegged from lack of sleep. Gotta quit being such a wuss!)
BenchPress: 215 x4 220 x 3 225 x 2 235 x 2 245 x 1 (this was just fun. No spotter best I've done yet)
DB Row 105 x 6 110 x 6 115 x 4,4 (also another personal best. And it was fun too)
Push Press 145 x 5 155 x 4 165 x 3 175 x 1

I failed once at 175, got pissed off and racked it. Did my best Bill Kazmaeir psych up and gave it another go and got it fairley easy. Great workout despite the stagnation in squats, but you win some and you lose some.

Isn’t it sort of funny how sometimes your best workouts start out like crap but then you find the zone, rhythm or whatever you want to call it and everything seems to come together.

Good luck with the sleep. I’ve been sleep deprived due to work related stress for almost 10 months now but still seem to be making progress. So keep it up.

Got a little more sleep over the weekend and my workout showed it!

Monday's workout 8th Week

Squats
295 x 3
305 x 3
315 x 3
325 x 3
335 x 1
345 x 1

Given my recent frustraions with squats I was rather pleased with this. I think more than anything I havent been warming up/stretching enough prior to working sets. I also watched a couple "How to Squat videos" and it made me slow down and really concentrate on each rep.

Bench press
225 x 3
225 x 3
230 x 3
240 x 1
240 x 1
240 x 1

Woked my way up to 240 which is not my max, but rather the heaviest I weight I felt comfortable doing singles with. I just focused on bringing the bar down slow and trying to exert max force to drive the weight up. Felt great!

One Arm DB Rows
110 x 4 sets of 5

Had some shoulder discomfort after first set, so I tried bring DB all the way to the floor kinda Pendlay style. Took away discomfort and made it more challenging. Gonna do it this way from now on!

Push Press
155 x 5 sets of 3

Kinda ran outta time on these, but still progressing right along. End of week gonna shoot for 185 x 1!

Thought it would be a good idea to lay out some goals for the end of the year. My first round through HST has been a real eye opener and I know see how to finally get where I want to be. I am currently on my first day of SD and already I can’t stand it, but all good things come to those who wait.

Current Maxes

Deadlift: 405

Bench Press 260

Squat: 355

End of Year Goals

Deadlift: 455

Bench Press 300

Squat: 400

Don’t really have any size goals but additional mass to any area other than waist is always welcomed. I would like to really focus on my legs to bring them up. My arms have been my strong suit so I will just maintain per say and focus on compounds to add mass. I did add ½” to my thighs, chest this cycle and can also see change in my delts and traps. Arms stayed the same, but that’s ok cause right now it’s not a priority.

Current stats

Height: 6’

Weight: 222

Neck: 17

Chest: 45

Arms: 17.25 (flexed)

Thighs: 25 (Halfway)

Calf: 15.25

Waist: 35.5 L It’ll come off later

Gonna follow a push/pull program and start out at 70% of 1RM and add weight each workout. Each major muscle group will have a primary heavy exercise then followed by a lighter exercise. When I get to 5RM I will drop secondary exercises and increase volume of primary lifts.

Push Day

Squats

Front Squat

Bench Press

Incline DB Bench

Standing Overhead Press

Lateral Raises

Standing Calf Raises

Pull Day

Deadlift/Romanian DL

Standing Leg Curl

Wide Chins

T Bar Rows

Barbell Shrugs

Seated Calf Raises

It looks like you have some very realistic goals and a good plan to get there. One thing to note is that it’s not necessarily a good idea to drop your secondary exercises during the 5s unless you trade them for some metabolic work. Reason being is that occlusion or exercising with restricted blood flow does seem to have an effect on hypertrophy. Also at the end of a session getting the blood flowing through the muscles is a good way to get nutrients into the muscles so they can grow.

Thanks G11. I have been thinking all weekend about that. Gonna keep them and stay with the 40-60 total reps per muscle group per session. I was unprepared last cycle with my meal plan, but this time I am really gonna focus on getting at least 4,000 cals and 300-400 grams of protein a day. I want to get to 235-240 lbs. by the new year so better keep my fork with me at all times lol

SD finally over and today kicked my butt. I know thats the point of SD, but still sucks cause I felt like I was rolling before. ANYway...........

Today
Romanian DL: 205 x 15,10
Standing Leg Curl: 20 x 12,5,5

This was real light but after this I felt like I was gonna puke lol. Did reps to fatigue then paused 20 sec and continued.

Chinups BW 8,4,3
Pendlay Rows 170 x 5,5,5

HAHAHA this was aweful. Gotta a long way to go on chins. LONG WAY

Barbell Shrugs 225 x 15,15
Seated Calf Raise (ONE LEGGED) 90 lb DB x 20,20

Just getting a good lactic acid burn on these. I think I will add in Alt DB curls next time around to finish off bi's. Gotta a damn head cold from change in the weather so that and my lack of conditioning made this pretty rough today, but it was rough at the beginning of last cycle too.

When I SD all I can think about is getting back to the weights, however the first workout after SD always seems like one of the hardest to get done.

Todays workout Push Day 1

Squat: 240 x 8,8
Front squat 95 x 10,8
Bench Press 185 x 8,8,4
Incline DB Bench 35's x 12,12

I shortened this workout in half due to my cold. Just wanted to get something in and try to rest up this weekend. Weights felt fine just didn't want to push at all so I just went to fatigue and stopped immediately. I am new to front squats and will probably roll with the light weight to work on form and get used to the motion. Doubling up the the similar exercises gave me a hell of a pump which is what I was shooting for so that is exciting. I dropped Overhead Press, Lateral Raises, and Barbell Calf Raises today but will include them from this point on. Hamstrings are pretty tender from the RDL's yesterday so I'm sure i will be walking funny for a few days. Gotta get my arse back in shape lol.

Pull Day #2 Good Workout, cold seems to be subsiding workout took 45 min which was a decent pace.

Deadlift
325 x 5
345 x 5
365 x 5

I started at 80% of my max because it seems like a waste of time to do them any lighter. This felt great. I was pleased how easy it seemed to get 365 off the floor. Gonna Deadlift only on Mondays and keep it heavier to achieve my goal of 455 x 1 by the years end

Standing leg curl
20 x 12,12

Chins (BW) 20 rep goal this week

Pendlay rows
135 x 10,8

Last workout I used 70% of my 1RM which was too heavy after DL and chins. Going lighter and maintaining good form are way more important than just heaving the weight up like I did previously. Lesson learned :)

Barbell Shrugs
235 x 15,15

Seated Calf Raises (one legged)
90 x 20,20

Seated Alt. DB Curls
30's x 12,12

Ok, so Monday night I was showing the classic signs of overtraining. I was dog tired but had insomnia and was really irritable. Didn't have much DOMS to speak of. So I took a long hard look at my program and realized that it's just too much for me since I still was feeling a little zapped Wed. I spent my whole SD trying to fine tune a bigger and better program, but in reality I already was doing the best program for me. Simple HST full body 3x/wk. If it aint broke don't fix it :)

Revised Program
Squat/Deadlift
Bench Press
Pendlay Rows/Chins
DB Press/Push Press (from 85% 1RM on)
Barbell Calf Raise/Seated Calf Raise

Wed Session
Squats 250 x 8,8
Bench Press 190 x 8,8
Push Press 120 x 8,8
Barbell Calf Raise 225 x 15,15 (1st time I've ever done these.)

Feel good today which makes me think the change was definitely warranted.

Friday 9-16 workout
Deadlifts- 325 x 10
Bench Press- 195 x 9+4+2
Chins- 8+3+2
DB Press 45's- 12+5+3
Seated Calf Raises 100 x 20,20

Was in a bit of a hurry this morning so I clustered reps on upper body. I stopped when rep speed slowed then took ten deep breathes, then repeated twice. I think I could've gotten 12 on deads, but didn't want to overdo it again. Workout only took like 30 minutes. Moving deads to Fridays on this revised program to get an additional days rest.

Got a question for the masses out there. My chin bar only alots me a grip width about shoulder width. I really prefer to do them wider and can if I do rack chins on makeshift set up (Squat stands and olympic bar). Has anybody had success with rack chins? My gut says dropping chins would be a mistake, but I thought I'd see what has worked for others. Thanks in advance.

Monday 9-19 2nd last wk of 8's

Squats
270 x 8
205 x 12

Bench Press
200 x 8
150 x 12

Pendlay Rows
170 x 8
120 x 12

DB Press
50's x 8
35's x 12

One Leg Standing Calf Raise
BW x 12,12

Running on only 4 hours sleep (again). I am only going with one 8's work set this week followed by a lighter metabolic set. To my suprise all the 8's were pretty easy and the met. sets burnt like fire! I made a business decision and dropped the barbell calf raises cause I AM UNCOORDINATED and will eventually kill myself if continue them. After this week I will move on to 5's then finish with a cycle of 3's before i SD. I wish I wouldn't have wasted that 1st week on the push/pull program, cause this program just feels right. As a side note I started the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) program 3 days ago and am liking it very much. I weighed 220.8 at the start of my cycle and weighed 225.4 yesterday so I think it's gonna help me attain my goal weight of 235-240 lbs within the next month or two. I read about GOMAD on another training log so Thank you to whoever had mentioned it!

Last Two Sessions

Squats 295 x 8, 205 x 12
Bench 205 x 8, 155 x 10
DB Press 65's x 8, 35's x 12
Chins BW +10 x 8 (last assisted), 10 Australian pullups
Seated Calf (1 Leg) 110 x 20,20

Deadlift 365 x 3,3,3,3
Bench 210 x 8+4+2
DB Press 70's X 7, 40's x 12
Pendlay Rows 185 x 8, 135 x 10
Calf Raise (1leg) BW x 12,12

I don't know if I will ever deadlift again! The last 3 times I have felt like sh*t and this was worse yet. My CNS must suck! Seems like I am compromising my whole routine for one lift at times and I just don't feel its worth it. Anyway BW up to 228 and I feel really strong lately. GOMAD going well!

I don't know if I will ever deadlift again! The last 3 times I have felt like sh*t and this was worse yet.
That sucks! I’m the opposite, once I Deadlift I want to punch holes in the walls and attack every other lift. I don’t start feeling bad until about 7-9 hours later when it feels like I was in a car wreck.

You could try putting your Deadlift near the end of your routine like just before the Calf Raises. Though it goes against the general rule to put the most taxing lifts first many people Deadlift last for the very reason you have, that it wastes them for the rest of the workout.

Another thing you could try is some General Physical Preparedness (GPP) work especially when your weights are light. If the Deadlift is draining you so much I might be a matter of strength endurance. You could try some Hill Runs, Farmers Walks, Tire Flipping, Sled Dragging, hell just pick up a big rock and throw it over your head and then run and get it and do it again.

If those types of options aren’t available perhaps you could arrange your lighter workouts in a circuit fashion so they improve your level of endurance.

Sorry G11 I actually am fine during the workout, but I can tell about an hour later that I have "overdone" it. About 12 hours later i feel like dog meat and I can't sleep and end up with a cold most of the time. Feeling that way totally zaps my will to eat and train and that aint good. Squats don't seem to affect me that way, just regular Deads. May just switch to a different version and see how that goes. I really like Deads, but whats the point if I get sick and can't sleep everytime. Frustrating, but I gotta listen to what my body is telling me, or else. My performance after deads has been great minus pendlays, but I think it's a bad idea to do them on the same day anyways. I looked across the web and alot of guys DL every other week or even once a month just as a guage of progress.

My bad I misunderstood. I think everybody feel a little hammered after heavy Deadlifts but getting colds and missing sleep isn’t worth it. Have your ever tried catching a nap right after working out, assuming you have the time? I don’t do it often but when I carb up after an intense workout I just feel like going to sleep for a while, but since I workout in the morning I usually get busy doing other things.

Back