tdawg_33's Training Log

Incline Bench 185 x 20 M time

Flat Bench 185 x 5,5,5

Seated DB Press - Skipped (delts Fried from chest work)

Front plate raises 25 x 10, 35 x 10

Lateral Raises 25’s x 10+5+5

EZ Bar Skullcrusher 80x 10+5+5

Monday 11-14 workout

DB Row
95 x 8
105 x 8
115 x 8
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5
85 x 15

Upright Row
80 x 8
90 x 8
100 x 8
110 x 5
120 x 5
120 x 5
60 x 15

I was really sleep this morning and really didn't feel like lifting, so to peak my interest I just mixed it up a bit. My right elbow tendonitis reared it's ugly head once again as I was warming up for chins and I just didn't feel like messing with it so switched gears to rows. I haven't done a workout like this forever, but it was fun and I got a heck of pump through my back ,shoulders and traps. I have never gone that heavy on either exercise before so I consider this a win since it took everything I had just to crawl outta bed today :)

Tdawg what are you doing for your tendonitis? I’ve been struggling with it in my right arm now for about 6 months. Had it in both but the left seems to be ok for now. I thought I had it under control in my right arm too by switching away from offending exercises, weighted Chin Ups, BB Curls, but when I started adding them back in I can feel it coming back.

I haven't tried any course of treatment, but have done what you have in skipping "problem exercises". I pretty much know that doing weighted vertical pulling exercises is going to cause an issue at some point. With your power routine it will be harder to avoid holding heavy weights, but i found DL/shrugs definitley were part of the problem for me.

If I had the equipment I would likely pre exhaust my lats with a pullover machine (home version barbell pullovers) and follow it up with wide grip pulldowns and a row (with lots of warmup sets obviously :D). When pulldowns were out I did Yates Rows. I had a lot of succes doing this previously when my elbow really bothered me. When doing traps I do upright rows bringing bar up to my chin then DB shrugs in an effort to hit them as hard as possible. Luckily pushing movements haven't ever bothered me to this point. I used to try to push through it, but that is NOT a good idea. Resourcefullness has been the best treatment for me to date. I'm sure I am not telling you anything that you didn't already know, but hope this helps.

Tues Nov 15 workout

Unilateral Squat
100 x 8
110 x 8
120 x 8
130 x 5

Standing Leg Curl
25 x 8
30 x 8
35 x 8
40 x 6

Leg Extensions
70 x 8
80 x 8
90 x 8
100 x 8

Running way behind so just took brief pauses in between sets and it killed my balance on the last set of squats. still happy I got something in.

With your power routine it will be harder to avoid holding heavy weights, but i found DL/shrugs definitley were part of the problem for me.
I found that using straps for all pulling movements I can has really helped since the pain I’m getting is in my forearm tendons. I only Deadlift w/o straps for maxes so that they are legit otherwise all for all other Deadlifts, BB Shrugs, Calf Raises or anything else I hold a heavy bar for I use the straps. I can tell that has helped a lot.

So far the only part of the power routine I’ve noticed a problem with are the dynamic Bench Presses. I’ve read about it and that is a known issue with that sort of training. I’m learning to do them better so it’s becoming less of an issue.

Last edited:
Straps probably would help. I should've mentioned that at that time I was using one of those diamond shaped deadlift bars that you stand inside of to do deads and shrugs without straps so I'm sure it makes a difference. Those bars suck by the way. Its pretty much impossible to keep the bar from leaning forward or backward so I'm sure it put alot of stress on my forearm tendons. I have rather small forearms so I always try when possible to do without straps, but I will see if doing chins with them alleviates some of the pain. Thanks G11

Friday 11-18 workout

Incline Bench
185 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 3

Flat Bench
185 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 3

Close Grip Bench
135 x 8
145 x 6
155 x 5

I have had 3 or 4 rough nights sleep in a row due to my daughter getting an ear infection. Today was a "whatever" day. Couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to accomplish so I just kinda winged it. Hopefully I can get refocused and get the train back on the tracks next week. I have decided that I will begin a slow cut on Monday cause I can't stand being this heavy anymore (none of my clothes fit) I have decided though to incorporate close grip from here on out to work tri's and focus on hitting my inner pecs more. I feel I have a good outer sweep and need to fill in the blanks so to speak

Thanks to Totentanz I have my cut figured out.

2300-2500 calories/day

300g protein/150g carb/75g fat

3x/wk HST training only using the 5's repeated duration of cut with no SD unless absolutely needed!Abs & Cardio 2x/wk before 1st meal

A/B alternating routine

Incline Bench
Barbell Rows
Standing Leg Curl
Unilateral Squat
Bar Shrugs
Standing Calf Raise

Flat Bench Press
Pullups (unless tendonitis resurfaces)
Seated DB Press
Unilateral Deadlift
Bar shrugs
Seated Calf Raises

So there it is. Hopefull I will end up around the same weight that I started at (6' @ 209lbs currently @ 234lbs) at close to 10% BF, but only time will tell.

Quick update on my progress so far. I am currently @ 227 as of this morning (down 7 lbs). Find myself being hungry a majority of the day, but so far I have not let it affect my diet :) Eating alot of egg whites, low fat cottage cheese, chicken, lean read meat, and a big protein shake with olive oil. I haven't lost any strength up to this point, but I have noticed that the weights seem much harder than they did before. I quit taking creatine as well to give my body a chance to reset. I dropped unilateral Deadlift because I don't feel comfortable with it. The Unilateral squats are going well and I actually feel stronger every workout so that is a plus. It's early, but I feel focused and ready.

Back