Trap Bar Squats and Deadlifts

tocamjapan

I've just completed my first 8 weeks of HST with good results. I trained using the same routine 3 times a week. I included trap bar squats and stiff legged deadlifts in my routine and did these lifts for each workout.
My entire workout was
trap bar squats
stiff legged deadlifts
dumbbell bench press
barbell rows
shoulder press
dips
reverse grip chins
calf raises
I did one set for each exercise - however I performed my squats in the morning and the deadlifts at night with the rest of the exercises.
Should I continue to include these 2 lifts in all my workouts in my new cycle, or would it be better to alternate each lift on an every other workout basis? I gained a lot of strength on these lifts, and am wondering if I am overtraining my lower back doing these lifts every workout?
Cheers

I don't think anyone can tell you for sure whether you are overtraining your lower back. Only you can tell.

I would suggest alternating between movements that involve the lower back and one that doesn't from workout to workout. Just to be careful.

I've been doing squats and SLDLs for all my workouts so far and have made some good gains.

I found that towards the end of the 5s my lower back was taking a real beating but it seems it was mainly due to how I was performing my SLDLs.

I was doing them standing on a bench and going down until the bar was at foot level. This cycle I am doing them standing on the floor and lowering only until the weights touch the floor (which is about hands at mid-shin level). My hams are still getting a great workout but I have had far less strain on my lower back and my hip joints are thanking me big time.

As I get stronger I may decide to alternate as Bryan suggests but for the moment my lower back is coping.

Back