TR's log

<div>
(BAX67 @ May 23 2008,8:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your MS routine looks really intense. How does it compare to your Ed Coan routine?</div>
Ed Coan is a pussycat compared to Dan...
ghostface.gif

I am sicker than a dog this weekend (better make that two dogs). I've got the plague or something (my wife says it's only a cold, but I know better!).

I didn't go in on Saturday to do my Deads. I just stayed at home in bed on my back with all four feet in the air and my tongue hanging out. I don't feel much better today. The buzzards are starting to circle...

I won't be able to go in tomorrow either, as the gym is going to be closed. I'll try again on Tuesday.

Don't rush it. I got sick for a week after 3 months of SD...it sucked but it it what it is. I think the intense workout after the long layoff really weakened my immune system. Anyway, get better soon!

Looks like this surprise, unplanned, forced SD is gonna extend for at least another several days. I'll have been out of the gym for more than 14 days by the time I'm back on my feet again.

Query: I still owe the Max-Stim program the final workout of Phase I. It calls for 110% of my 10RM. That translates into a deadlift of 265 lbs x20 (ms).

Whaddaya think?

1) Should I go in and try for 265x20 (heck, I should be rested enough)? or
2) Should I go back and start Phase I all over again? or
3) Should I just skip the 265x20 and start Phase II of the program, gradually working my way back up?

...I like number one, personally. I think you'll be plenty rested, and if ya think that it's really going to set you back, make that the only exercise in your workout, and call it a day.

Well, I'm going to respectfully disagree with the others (other than Soflsun) TR.  
smile.gif
 It is quite common for viral infections to take a lot longer than two weeks to be completely sorted even if you feel a whole lot better. Considering I just did a similar thing and went for a new 15RM (ie. relatively lighter than what you are thinking of doing) after having time off with a bug and then felt dreadful for another week I think you would be wise to take it a little more steadily for your first few sessions. I would drop the load back a bit and then work back up again. Maybe just repeat the last week you did and see how you feel. If all is well then you'll be back at your target 110%of 10RM in a week's time. What's the hurry anyway? Gotta PR to catch?  
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 02 2008,11:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What's the hurry anyway? Gotta PR to catch?  
biggrin.gif
</div>
All on board, the PR is leaving the station!

<div>
(electric @ Jun. 02 2008,11:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Jun. 02 2008,11:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What's the hurry anyway? Gotta PR to catch?
biggrin.gif
</div>
All on board, the PR is leaving the station!</div>
Well, I missed that train. Apparently there was enough wrong with my lungs and bronchial stuff, that it knocked me on my butt for an extended SD. *sigh*

I hope to be back in the gym next week.

Looks like I'd better do Phase I over again, but this time I'll bump the weights up a bit.

Anyhow, I gained five pounds while retaining my body fat percentage. I think I've added a bit to my arms, too, but I've been to lazy to measure. Dan's Max-Stim beat me up good, but there seem to be some measurable results.

Monday, June 16

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 20x190
Chins 20 (w/30 lb p.a.)
Dips 20 (w/30 lb p.a.)
Tricep Pushdown 20x70
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 20x27

Pec-Dec 20x60
Ab Machine 20x80

I've been out of the gym for just short of a month. Today was my first day back, so I started out with weenie weights.

Due to the light weights, I didn't really use M-time. I just sort of clustered the reps by fives or so and buzzed right though.

Dan's Max-Stim worked very well for me last month. I intend to give it another full college try. I may limit myself to three times per week rather than the four times per week that is recommended. There is just too much going on this summer.

It is good to be back!

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 17 2008,9:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good to see you kicking off with deads. Enjoy your DOMS! </div>
If you can't do deads, why go to the gym...?

Actually my legs and back are fine today, it's high in the pecs that I hurt. I'm not sure whether that is from the dips or the pec-dec, but I am having trouble even holding my coffee cup this morning...
sad.gif

Welcome back. About time... It just wasn't the same not being able to read constant updates in your log.

Thursday, June 36

Only my second time in the gym all month.

*sigh*

Deadlifts 10x45, 2x5x95, 2x5x135, 20x185
Chins 20 (w/30 lb p.a.)
Dips 20 (w/30 lb p.a.)
Tricep Pushdown 20x70
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 20x22

Pec-Dec 20x60
Ab Machine 20x80

I did the same (or less) as last week. I've not been feeling tip top, and there are many requirements on my time this summer. But it was good to be back in the gym (and even these weeny weights kicked my butt!).

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jun. 26 2008,11:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Only my second time in the gym all month.</div>
Second time is way better than no time! Good workout TR.

Friday, June 27

Squats 10x45, 2x5x95, 4x5x135
Bench Press 10x45, 10x55
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x50 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 20x45 (ms)
Standing Calf Raise 20x135
Power Shrugs 10x135, 10x185
EZ-bar curl 20x27
Tricep Pushdowns 20x70
(plus ab machine and pec-dec)

I dunno, I had plenty of time left after I finished my main exercises, so I did a bunch of isos afterwards. I kinda go nuts at the beginning of a cycle when the weights are low yet the total effort knocks me out, even using these weeny weights.

Monday, June 30

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x245 (ms), 20x195(ms)
Chins 4x5 (w/20 lb p.a.)
Dips 4x5 (w/20 lb p.a.)
Tricep Pushdown 4x10x80
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 2x20x27

Pec-Dec 4x5x70, 2x10x70, 2x5x70
Ab Machine 20x90

Chins were still easy with the 20 lb. pussy assist. Dips were okay, too, but I had to cluster the last set.

I seemed to have a lot of extra energy today. So I went back and did some extra sets of isos.

Friday, July 1

Squats 10x45, 10x65,10x95, 4x5x140
Bench Press 2x10x45, 10x50, 2x10x55
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x50 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 20x50 (ms)
Standing Calf Raise 20x145
Power Shrugs 20x195 (ms)

EZ-bar curl 2x20x27
EZ-bar skull crushers 2x10x37
Tricep Pushdowns 2x20x80
Ab machine 20x90
Pec-dec 2x10x70

The trouble with starting a new cycle with the weenie weights is that I have lotsa time left over when my workout is done, so I go back and do a buncha extra isos.

For the most part I didn't feel the need to fool with M-time except for a very few exercises that lend themselves to it easily. The weights pick up in a hurry, so all this gingerbread stuff isn't gonna last. I recall from the last cycle that Dan's program can knock the stuffing out of me.

Back