TR's log

Saturday, July 19

Squats 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 3x155, 20x185 (ms)
Bench Press 10x45, 10x60, 10x70 (ms)
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x70 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 20x65 (clustered)
Standing Calf Raise 20x190 (ms)
Power Shrugs 20x255 (ms)

Squats were okay: the bar is beginning to feel heavy, but I still own it.

My shoulders felt good, so I tried a bit of bench press. I've been working the weights up very slowly, but so far it is easy. M-time stayed below ten seconds all the way through.

Row was the opposite: the sum of the two dumbbells equals my body weight. I let my M-time sneak up past ten seconds for the last few reps.

I question whether my Power Shrugs are all that powerful. Today they just felt like clunky, old, ordinary shrugs -- just getting heavy.

I ran out of time, so no gingerbread isos today.

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 3x185, 3x225 (ms), 20x265 (ms)
Chins 20xBW+15 (ms)
No Dips

Tricep Pushdown 20x120 (clustered)
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 20x47 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 20x52 (ms)
Pec-Dec 20x110 (ms)
Ab Machine 20x120 (ms)

It was very satisfying to get my 265 lbs. deads in at last.

Pec-Dec was hard: I put too much weight on it and had M-times of 20 seconds or more, nearly all the way through. Since I am slacking off on Dips, I feel the Pec-Dec and Triceps exercises begin to take on more importance. I'd prefer to do dips, but I don't want to risk injuring my shoulder again.

Tomorrow I do my squat routine. That will finish Phase One of Dan's Max-Stim workout.

Tuesday, July 22

Squats 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 3x155, 20x190 (ms)
Bench Press 10x45, 20x80 (ms)
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x70 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 20x65 (clustered)
Standing Calf Raise 20x225 (ms)
Power Shrugs 20x265 (ms)

I was running out of time, so I didn't do a lot of warm-ups for my bench press. I was only supposed to do 200 lbs for the Standing Calf Raise, but I had already started to load the bar for the P-shrugs (whoops!) and just didn't want to bother with unloading the big wheels...

This finishes Phase I of the Max-Stim program (for the second time). I have gained a bunch of weight since I started the program: I've gone from 135 lbs to 143 lbs. I've added about an inch to my legs and arms, and shoulders (though my waist is about the same).

My body fat seems to remain unchanged, using the calipers. I'm going to have an underwater body fat analysis done on Friday.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 22 2008,5:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've gone from 135 lbs to 143 lbs. I've added about an inch to my legs and arms, and shoulders (though my waist is about the same).</div>
sweet TR! just in time for football season too...

random thought:
at the beginning of spring, a local hospital here offered free water analysis and anyone who took them up gets a follow up free one in the middle of fall...

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 22 2008,8:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">sweet TR! just in time for football season too...

random thought:
at the beginning of spring, a local hospital here offered free water analysis and anyone who took them up gets a follow up free one in the middle of fall...</div>
As you can imagine, at 143 pounds soaking wet with a bar of GI soap in each hand, I am the last guy who gets chosen for any football team...
sad.gif

If you get a chance for a water analysis, jump at it. This is considered the &quot;Gold Standard&quot; for body fat testing. The underwater stuff gives the very closest estimation of bodyfat (think: Archimedes, &quot;Eureka&quot;). Then you can do your skinfold measurements with calipers and calibrate your measuring technique.

The YMCA here offers the dunk tank for $25, but they're having a half-off sale. I just couldn't pass it up.

8# of muscle is no joke. credit to you sir, you deserve it on the merit of deadlifting alone.

I'd be scared to find out my BF%, it'd probably give me a complex.

Way to go TR!! Really solid gains. Your back must be starting to get some thickness too with all that deadlifting. Super work!!
cool.gif

Friday, July 25

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 3x185, 3x225 (ms), 10x275 (ms)
Chins 10xBW+25 (ms)
Dips 10xBW - 10 (that's a &quot;minus&quot; 10)

Tricep Pushdown 20x130 (clustered)
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 10x52 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 10x57 (ms)
Pec-Dec 10x120 (ms)
Ab Machine 10x140 (ms)

I'm taking a brief hiatus from Dan's Max-Stim program. I've just finished Phase I and have not as yet launched into Phase II.

Rather I've begun Lyle's Rapid Fat Loss Diet, so I am limiting my calories severely for the next week or so. Thus I'll be lifting less often (maybe twice per week) and lifting less volume (I'll be doing 10x instead of 20x). However, I intend to keep the weights up.

I've been using an overhand grip on my deadlifts for the past several months, in order to develop my grip strength. I think I read about that in Lol's log, or maybe Fearfactory's. Anyhow, today I pretty much reached my limit on the overhand grip. I did the first five 275 lb. deads with the overhand grip, but had to switch to a mixed grip (pronated and supinated) for the last five.

Since I cut the volume back from 20 reps to 10 reps (except on the triceps pushdowns, whoops!), I increased the weight on all my exercises. This left me plenty of time, so I did some pussy assist Dips.

<div>
(BAX67 @ Jul. 26 2008,10:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How did the dunk tank go? Did the results have anything to do with your change in program?</div>
The dunk tank helped big time! It made clear that the reason I haven't got any visible abs is that I have in fact snuck up into the double digits again. The previous body fat percentage estimated from skinfold caliper readings was error.

Actually, I'm not all that surprised. It seemed unreasonable to gain muscle without any fat!

I've begun Lyle's Rapid Fat Loss Diet, as I discussed in another thread. But now my goals are clearer.

Thus the temporary change in my program. I am cutting the volume while lifting nearly as heavy as I can. I will also limit my workouts to twice a week, according to Lyle's recommendations.

Tunnel,

It's so funny how we all want the same things here, but whenever we get what we want...we want something else. You put on some great size during phase I, and you liked the increased size. Then you found out you were in double digits, and your back to cutting away the size again. I think were all totally insane!
wow.gif

Good luck with the rapid fat loss. I think max-stim should be great way to keep the poundages up during a heavy calorie deficit.

<div>
(soflsun @ Jul. 26 2008,8:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You put on some great size during phase I, and you liked the increased size. Then you found out you were in double digits, and your back to cutting away the size again.</div>
Well, the plan is to try to keep most of the muscle and just trim away some of the fat.

But yeah, there's a certain lunacy to it all...

Tuesday, August 5

Deadlifts 135x10, 185x5, 225x5, 275x10 (MS), 225x5
Bench Presss 65x5, 85x5, 95x20 (MS)
One-arm dumbbell rows 70x20 (MS)

Whoa! Summertime and conflicting vacation plans can cause havoc with a training program! Now that my wife is home everyday, my diet is pretty much out the window and my training is nearly on hold.

Then we just spent a week in the mountains, so I had to drive 45 minutes to the nearest gym. It's a good one, and well worth the drive, but I only had time enough to go once.

My time was limited so I just decided to do some fairly heavy (for me) deads, and I increased my bench another few pounds. I couldn't find an adjustable bench that would allow me to do lying dumbbell rows, so I did the regular one-arm rows instead. It took twice as long...

I'll be back to diet and training after a bit. Meanwhile, I'll just try to hit the gym enough to preclude much loss of LBM.

Friday, August 15

Max-Stim Phase II

Deadlifts 10x135, 2x5x185, 20x200 (ms)
Chins 4x5xBW - 20 (ms)
Dips   4x5xBW - 20 (that's a &quot;minus&quot; 20)

Tricep Pushdown 20x100 (clustered)
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 2x10x32
EZ-bar skull crushers 20x37 (ms)
Pec-Dec 4x5x90 (clustered the last set)
Ab Machine (whoops! forgot to do abs...
blush.gif
)

I do not doubt that Dan is rolling over in his grave as I continue to call this my Max-Stim workout. I suppose this is about as much a Dan Moore workout as a movie based on a Shakespearian play... but I press on.

Starting Phase II I am back to using wussy weights again for a week or so, beginning at 75% of my 8RM. Frankly after the extended SD I've been on, the weights didn't feel wussy at all. Even so I did sets of five on several exercises rather than using M-time.

7200# is a lot of total tonnage with your deadlift workout. in my opinion, that's not wussy weight. good job pressing on!

Tuesday, August 19

Front Squats 10x45, 5x65, 2x5x85
Squats 10x95, 20x145 (ms)
Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 20x75 (ms)
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x50 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 4x5x50
Standing Calf Raise 20x200 (ms)
Power Shrugs 20x200 (ms)

I did Front Squats to warm up. I get a much better ROM with Front Squats.

Doing the Back Squats I concentrated on trying the hip drive thing that Rip was talking about. I'm not at all sure what he means, but I tried to focus on pressing my butt up first, rather than just trying to straighten up. It felt as though my butt moved an inch or so to the rear before starting up. I couldn't really tell if it made any difference in moving the weight, since I'm just starting the next phase and the weights are still very light.

For Standing Calf Raises I decided to quit screwing around and just use whatever I did for my deadlifts. I do the same thing with my shrugs already.

Even though the weights are light, I still fell tuckered out after most of the exercises except for rows and seated calf raises.

Thursday, August 28

Max-Stim Phase II

Deadlifts 10x95, 10x135, 2x5x185, 20x215 (ms)
Chins 4x5xBW - 20 (ms)
Dips   4x5xBW - 30 (that's a &quot;minus&quot; 30)

Tricep Pushdown 20x100 (clustered)
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 20x42 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 20x42 (ms)

It's good to be back in the gym again. I'm hoping the summer's nuttiness is over and I can get back on schedule. Chins and dips are still light enough that I didn't bother to use M-time (even so, the dips bother my shoulder).

Friday, August 29

Front Squats 10x45, 10x65, 5x85, 5x105
Squats 5x135, 20x155 (ms)
Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 20x80 (ms)
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x55 (ms)

I didn't feel well at all today. I was hot, sweating, dizzy, and sick to my stomach. I had to stop several times during my squats. More than once my M-time went up past 30 seconds.

I just did the basic exercises (squat, bench, row) and went home. Calves and Traps will have to wait for another day.

Sorry your not feeling well TR. Question for you? I have to head to Toledo to help a buddy with a home project next weekend and was wondering if you have any recommendations on a good place to hit the iron. I would really hate to miss two workouts, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Back