Weights, cardio and stuff log

For shrugs I'll be using the Smith Machine. Same for shoulder press.

For the first 4-6 weeks I'll be limited to Captain Upper Body work. Just picked up a chin up and dip station for the basement. Basically I can't put any load through the left knee.

On a tangent - how the hell they expect to prevent significant quad atrophy with isometric holds is anyone's guess, but that's the rehab ...

So should you even be standing while doing shrugs, shoulder press or do you have to do it seated?

Yeah, I'm rather dubious about isometrics doing anything to maintain in someone with above average musculature in their legs.

On the bright side, I guess you get to be our real world case study on isometrics for maintenance.

Post surgery plan:

RFL continued.

M-W-F, twice daily training, volume per day to be judged using RPE, per bout fatigue and recovery:

8-12 clustered DB rows, 3RM range, kroc variant (ala body language friendly - these are for erector and traps maintenance more than anything

8-12 chins; BW increasing to 5RM

8-12 dips; BW increasing to 5RM

6-8 weeks before I can run anything through my left leg, but the right leg will be totally fine

Lots of isometrics for quads (rehab), leg raises and potentially one-leg push-ups for chest volume work.

Yesterday;

Deads; 5 - 130kg, 1 - 170kg, 1 - 200kg, 1 - 210kg (warm ups); 1 - 220kg, 1 - 230kg, 2,2,1,2,1,1,1 - 240kg. 3,3 - 220kg.

Hack squat machine; 5,5,5,5,5 - 190kg.

Made two mistakes;

SLDL on Wednesday; shouldn't do these except for a 2nd session on Friday. They're just too hard to recover from at 85% +.

And then forgetting caffeine. My was kicked by the 240s and RFL combination.

Last edited:
Deads; 5 - 70kg, 5 - 120kg, 1 - 170kg, 1 - 200kg, 1 - 210kg (warm ups); 1 - 220kg, 1 - 230kg, 1 - 240kg, 1 - 250kg, 1 - 260kg, 1/2 - 270kg - FAIL.

Block pulls; 1 - 250kg, 3 - 270kg, 2,2 - 280kg.

Second session;

DB rows; 5,5 - 70kg. Felt quite light but I'll be doing these w/straight legs, so form > load initially.

Chins; 5,5 - BW.

Dips; 5,5 - BW.

Getting a belt to load plates on the chain shortly. Vest would be preferable but $1-200 seems stupid for that.

Last edited:
I need to find a belt/chain...
Been using my backpack, worn backwards on my chest... But 70lbs in it on my 5rm pull up's is pushing it... I don't wanna ruin a good bag!
Works well with dips... Worn on the back, helps give a nice forward lean to target the chest. But 30lbs is all I can manage on those.

I need to find a belt/chain...
Been using my backpack, worn backwards on my chest... But 70lbs in it on my 5rm pull up's is pushing it... I don't wanna ruin a good bag!
Works well with dips... Worn on the back, helps give a nice forward lean to target the chest. But 30lbs is all I can manage on those.

I've used a backpack previously. It interferes too much with shoulder positioning to be ideal, regardless of whether it's on anterior or posterior of torso.

I use a dip belt. Think it was $25-$30 from Amazon. Only problem is watch out if your gym's pullup bar is facing a fuckin' wall like mine or you spend a few seconds after each rep trying to stop 65lb+ of plates from smashing through said wall like the Koolaid man.

Also make sure the chain is long enough to not only fit the weight but to keep all the plates in a relatively uniform position.

Grabbed one earlier. Not perfect, but functional. Had a bunch of credit at the store so all works out.

DB rows; 3,3,3 - 80kg.

Dips; 3,3,3 - BW + 10kg

Second session;

Chins; 3,3,3 - BW + 10kg.

Dips; 3,3,3 - BW + 10kg

Last edited:
I use a dip belt. Think it was $25-$30 from Amazon. Only problem is watch out if your gym's pullup bar is facing a fuckin' wall like mine or you spend a few seconds after each rep trying to stop 65lb+ of plates from smashing through said wall like the Koolaid man.

Also make sure the chain is long enough to not only fit the weight but to keep all the plates in a relatively uniform position.

Also make sure the chain doesn't catch your genitals and nearly rip them off and/or crush your testicles. Seriously, it's a problem. Wish those things were removable and you could just leave them in the locker during the workout.

Also make sure the chain doesn't catch your genitals and nearly rip them off and/or crush your testicles. Seriously, it's a problem. Wish those things were removable and you could just leave them in the locker during the workout.

Amen to that.

Back