What's your take?

Hey guys, just finished second w/o of the 5's.

I like the single set 15's and 10's, but the single 5's really suck. I don't feel like I worked out after I'm done. Still no visible muscular progress, but I do feel a little more strength. that's good.

I think you should be doing more for 5s. Try 2 sets and see how you get on. If you don't the amount of work you are doing each session is going to be less than when you were doing 15s! Loads need to increment but it's a good idea to keep the work done progressing too. 5s are where you can make some really good gains but you have to do enough volume to make them count.

Oh, your strength is doing well right now because you are recovering quickly from the single set of 5s. There's very little fatigue to overcome.

Definitely 2 sets, 3 if you have the time and inclination. If you don't get results with 2 sets then you may need to do 3.

Esp. during the first week of 5s you should be able to manage 3 sets. You are probably using loads not too dissimilar to those you used at the end of 10s when you were doing 2 sets, or 20 reps. So you are still doing less work.

For the second week of 5s it will be tougher to get 3 sets. That's why a lot of guys think in terms of total reps. If you got 5 reps, then 4 reps, then 3 reps, then another 3 reps with your 5RM load you would have performed 15 total reps. That's unlikely to be possible if you tried 3 x 5 reps. This way you get the work done but lessen the fatigue.

One other thing you could try for your big compounds, is to reduce the load to your 15RM after your second set of 5s and do a set of 10 reps with that. This is to keep the total work done as high as it was during the 10s without impacting on recovery much. You should find that you can get the reps with really good form.

Anyway, see how you get on with two sets first. There's no point in doing more than you need to but be prepared to do more if you still don't get results with the 5s.

Didn't gain anybody weight...what does that have to do with training? I can gain 5 lb.s in a week just by lying on the coach and eating enough.

Totentanz is right, need to up your calories.

Back