XFatMan’s Strength Journey

My shoulder hurt during the bench press on Monday, and I got a stiff neck, too. I was pretty afraid to bench again, even more so with a weight with which I am going to hit my post-surgery best next week.
Take a lesson from the Tortoise and the Hare: slow and steady wins the day.
Go slowly, but go!

Some nice work you have been doing xfm. I think you are going to surprise yourself with the weights you are going to be hitting over the next couple of weeks. The 5x5 is one of my favorites and have always had success with it. You will be stronger then you have ever been when you are finished. Good Luck

Today’s workout (30 minutes)

Barbell Front Squat: 5 x 44 Kg / 96 lbs
Barbell Flat Bench Press: 5 x 48 Kg / 106 lbs
Barbell Bent-Over Row: 5 x 18 Kg / 40 lbs

Assistance Exercises:

Hanging Leg Raise: 4 x 8
Barbell Straight Leg Deadlift: 2 x 8 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs

Bench Press and Front Squat are post-surgery bests. And it wasn't difficult at all. I think I can continue for some weeks before resetting the program. The Bill Starr 5 x 5 intermediate program is awesome. Strength is improving very fast, and it looks like some measurements are increasing.

The Military Press and the Deadlift are new post-surgery bests, and there was room for a lot more. In fact, the lifts were pretty easy, and I’m a bit stunned by how easy they were. I thought I’d be a wreck by week 4. What a cool program! I have just a little trouble eating enough, which is why I have cut running to a minimum, but I still need to eat more, I guess.

Barbell Front Squat: 5 x 32 Kg / 70 lbs
Barbell Military Press: 5 x 34 / 74 lbs
Barbell Deadlift: 5 x 64 Kg / 140 lbs

Assistance Exercises:

Hanging Leg Raise: 3 x 9

Today’s workout (40 minutes)

Barbell Front Squat: 3 x 44 Kg / 96 lbs
Barbell Flat Bench Press: 3 x 48 Kg / 106 lbs
Barbell Bent-Over Row: 3 x 18 Kg / 40 lbs

Assistance Exercises:

Dumbbell Curl: 3 x 8 x 9 Kg / 20 lbs
Dumbbell Triceps Extension 3 x 8 x 9 Kg / 20 lbs
Chest Dip: 3 x 5

Barbell Front Squat: 5 x 44 Kg / 96 lbs
Barbell Flat Bench Press: 5 x 48 Kg / 106 lbs
Barbell Bent-Over Row: 5 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs

Assistance Exercises:

Hanging Leg Raise: 4 x 9
Barbell Straight Leg Deadlift: 2 x 8 x 22 Kg / 48 lbs

Deadlift and Military Press are new bests and felt pretty easy, especially the Deadlift. I really love this program.

Barbell Front Squat: 5 x 34 Kg / 74 lbs
Barbell Military Press: 5 x 34 / 74 lbs
Barbell Deadlift: 5 x 66 Kg / 146 lbs

Assistance Exercises:

Hanging Leg Raise: 3 x 10

Hey XFM, good work! Your deadlift will go from strength to strength.

Are you going toes-to-bar or to parallel on the hanging leg raises? If the former, wow! If the latter, excellent stuff.

Your bf levels are getting seriously low now. Are you planning on maintaining this level or are you going to keep on dropping?

Thanks Lol. I'm doing the ones you can see here: http://gymnasticbodies.com/index.ph...he-hanging-leg-lift&catid=2:articles&Itemid=3
Actually, I want to add some beef, and body fat is already going up, too. My goal is to get to 75 Kg / 166 lb by December 12. But I want to bulk as long as I can without getting too fat. It just depends on how long I will be able to add weight to the bar. It's really fun to add weights all the time. Never really thought I would have the courage to let my weight go up again. I could even imagine to go 3 months more with this program.

Barbell Front Squat: 3 x 46 Kg / 102 lbs
Barbell Flat Bench Press: 3 x 50 Kg / 110 lbs
Barbell Bent-Over Row: 3 x 22 Kg / 48 lbs

Assistance Exercises:

Dumbbell Curl: 3 x 5 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
Dumbbell Triceps Extension 3 x 5 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
Chest Dip: 3 x 6

Back