your results with HST...

Today is the 5th workout of 15's, doing exactly what the program calls for. I never in my life did total body workouts. I'm 5'9'' 190lbs. I've been workingout since I was 24. Am now 50 and I'm able to still see results, also looking forward to see the results at the end of my cycle! The calculator worked great too, although when I established my max for the 15's I'm finding it pritty hard @ that 3rd set.

3 sets during the 15's??!!

No wonder you're seeing results, you're probably just balooning with water and glycogen, lol.

Finished a 7 week cycle (I messed up 1st week of 15s so I'm not counting that one) and I'm pretty happy with the results.

(in inches)
Neck: 15.5 (+.5)
Bicep: 12.75 (+.75)
Forearm: 11.25 (+.75)
Chest: 40.5 (+1.5)
Waist: 30 (+1)
Hips: 37 (?)
Thigh: 21.25 (+1.25)
Calf: 13.5 (+.5)

Weights gone up too from 141.75lbs to 159.17lbs (+17.42lbs)

All in all I'm happy. I could have done better in designing the workouts but I know for next time. SD for 2 weeks and then I'll be back in the game for some more gains
worship.gif

Don't get TOO concerned with workout design. If you're hitting everything frequently, progressing and eating, then you'll grow :)

Nice gains on the guns and chest!

I've worked out for 10 years. I didn't think this would work. It definately has. I've just finished my second cycle of the program. My only failure was I should have taken measurements before and after. I'm pretty whimpy compared to most here, but it's good for me.

height 6' 1"
action before after
weight 195 215
bench 5 rep max 205 235
cable rows (10 rep max) 140 190

I don't have the numbers in front of me but my endurance has really soared. My strength has dramatically increased in shoulder and back exercises.

Hi,

I am half way through the 5's of my 4th cycle. I'm a typical hardgainer and started off at 60kg on day 1 of first cycle. Over the first two cycles I gained 3.5kg, and ended with 15% bodyfat. I have spent the last two cycles trying to bring that body fat % down without too much weight loss. My goal was 10% bodyfat, and this week I reached that goal. Overall weight has dropped back to 62kg, but thats still almost a 2kg gain of lbm over the last cycle and a half whilst cutting :) .

I plan to finish up this cycle with my current diet then, after a good 14-day SD, will up the calories to start bulking again.

Thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge to be found on this forum...I have finally found a system that works for me and I can easily change to suit my goals.

Nick

Now, is 8% reachable??.......

Up 4 pound with no bodyfat, wow this is amazing. I just cant wait for HST to revolutionize the bodybuilding industry, when HIT was just a memory.

wow this is dang exciting, I have almost finished 1 cycle of HST now, and I'm still a total BB noob. I've worked out halfassed for about 6 months or so before I started HST, and my noob gains was about 5lbs of muscle, from 155lbs to 160lbs, but after 1 cycle of HST I'm now 174 lbs with slightly more BF than before, about 9-10% now, was about 7-8% (I ate like crazy, was just always hungry...)

About 14lbs gained in 1 cycle! I've read alotta posts here and this seems like above average gains, and I'm not very strict with my diet.

I'm eating alot of ice cream, tuna, chicken wings, cheese, mayonaise, oatmeal, baked potatoes, whole milk, bagels and protein shakes and a multivitamin every day. I don't eat enough veggies for sure which I'm going to change.

I am however consistent with my gym time and intensity. I work hard every time I go even though I almost never feel sore. Gains like this are really motivating, now I just want to get more serious and see what I'm capable of! I know I've said it before but I'm pumped! (literaly!) so I'll say it again...

worship.gif
THANK YOU BRYAN!
worship.gif

I am now shooting for around 200lbs, and once I get there I'll see what my next target is ;)

I went to a reunion last weekend. (Grad-School reunion) I had two people ask me if I was on roids and a friends wife ask if I compete
laugh.gif
. I am certainly not ready to have my pic in a magazine --but after 3 years of HST and a 20lb weight gain (mostly muscle) I gotta say people are noticing.

Bob

102kgs, halfway into my 3rd cycle.........that's 10kg in 5months, plus I was hospitalised after my 2nd cycle, no food for a week (living off apple juice is tough, just for the record).

Slightly noticeable bf increase on the waist, but nothing to worry about. After this cycle I'll be cutting, time to make those muscles show some more :d

I have to say that I am extremely frustrated with my results so far. My measurements have not budged to be honest and my body weight hasn't either. I think part of my problem has to do with the fact that I may have choosen too high of weights for a few exercises as maxes. Also, I've really had some problems doing the leg workouts since the rules changed at my gym and now I can't use pins to add weight to the machines. So I'm doing 1 legged leg presses at the moment. I've also been struggling with very bad insomnia which can't be helping (this started before HST, but now even with Px sleeping medicine, I still cant fall asleep or stay asleep). I know that this is often one of the symptoms of overtraining. I think I need to adjust my workouts for less volume and maybe more compound exercises. I'm considering just doing the 9-14 days of SD now (after figuring new maxes) and just starring over. I just don't know what to think.
This is what I currently do (I'm starting to just do one set of most things, as I'm in the latter half of the 5's and the weights are starting to get heavy).

Bench
Lat pull downs
incline d-bell presses
t-bar rows (on machine)
milt press
1 legged leg press (started w/vertical leg press, back problems so switched to sled type press, but now have to do it with one leg to have enough weight)
Lying leg curls
seated heel raise (calves)
skull crushers
standing preacher curl
d-bell shruggs
abb machine

any suggestions?

If you aren't gaining weight, it is your diet. You should be gaining weight no matter what if your diet is right. If your workout routine was bad, then you would simply be gaining a lot of fat instead of muscle. But since you are gaining nothing at all, you are not eating enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ May 13 2005,7:58)]If you aren't gaining weight, it is your diet.  You should be gaining weight no matter what if your diet is right.  If your workout routine was bad, then you would simply be gaining a lot of fat instead of muscle.  But since you are gaining nothing at all, you are not eating enough.
I don't really think it's my diet. I have an extremely high metabolism, so I don't really gain fat weight per say (pretty much if I'm not gaining muscle weight, I dont really gain). I also follow "Muscle Building Nutrition" principles by Will Brink. I don't always get the exact amount of different nutrients in, depending on the day. It's hard to get 6 meals in a day sometimes, even if I use protein shakes. But I'm pretty consistent, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's my diet. What do you think about the possibility of overtraining, especially considering the fact that I can't sleep?

I still think that even if you were overtraining, you would at least be gaining fat. My metabolism is extremely high as well. I have to eat at least 3500 calories a day to gain weight.

But if you think you are overtraining, then you should try cutting your routine down to just some compounds, three times a week. See if that helps with the sleep issue maybe?

Still, if I were you, I would keep bumping up my calories and see if that helps. I thought it was impossible until I started eating insanely high amounts of food.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ May 13 2005,10:13)]I still think that even if you were overtraining, you would at least be gaining fat.  My metabolism is extremely high as well.  I have to eat at least 3500 calories a day to gain weight.
But if you think you are overtraining, then you should try cutting your routine down to just some compounds, three times a week.  See if that helps with the sleep issue maybe?
Still, if I were you, I would keep bumping up my calories and see if that helps.  I thought it was impossible until I started eating insanely high amounts of food.
Good point. I'm thinking I'm going to try to increase calorie intake. I think I may also try just doing compound exercises. The only thing is that I'm so close to the end of the cycle, that I'm tempted to just finish it off with all the exercises. I'll think about it. Thanks for your advice.

Austin,

Don't make the mistake i made a few times over this last off season. In season for me is just summer when i'll be showing off the bod, off season is when it's too cold to show skin basically. I'm not talking competitive off season. But regardless the goals are the same, off season gain weight (hope for mostly muscle, but accept fat gains), in season cut until you're proud to show off what you've worked for!

But anyways, the mistakes i made all this off season was just not worth it. I'd make a cycle, get all excited about it, and then half way through (or maybe a little bit farther into it), i'd learn some more stuff, make a new 'perfect' plan, and just the anxiousness would make me do something bad. Quit the current cycle, start SD'ing. I missed out on alot of heavier weights this way, stopped my cycles during the 5's alot. But i have learned alot.

As Dave Draper says, "What's the rush?". Follow the basics, eat for your goals (more calories to gain muscle, less calories to lose fat), and that's all you can really do. Don't cut your cycles short, you'll spend more time SD'ing than lifting.

Another quote from Dave the Blonde Bomber baby. Sorry i just love this guy, real class act, he's just a real guy. I suggest anyone to check out his website at Dave Draper and read his articles. In fact, sign up for his weekly newsletter. He just loves the sport, loves life, just a true stand up man. I wouldn't follow his programs for bodybuilding though, HST is definately the way to go in my opinion. His nutrition articles are very eye opening though. Nothing ground breaking, but he makes bodybuilding sound easy. All you need is discipline, hard work, etc.

Doesn't sound easy, but he looks at it differently than everyone else. I see a pizza or something and i want it badly. He looks at it as being for the weak, tuna, chicken, fish, milk, you know all the good stuff is what your body needs. He says, stop reading about nutrition, just do it and learn for yourself. That's some old school thinking, all instincts and trial and error, but it worked for him and Arnold and the ironagers in general. Look at food as a means to an end, don't think by your taste buds, desires, traditions, etc. Think goals ... and don't ever give up on them.

I have alot more to say that i think i'm just going to make my own thread about. Hopefully i'll get some help, i'm in a slump.

Sorry for filling your thread with rubbish, but hey who knows, maybe it'll help ya. That's my goal anyways. :D

I had a goal of helping, and stuck to it. :)

I just completed a minicycle, that was just three weeks of 5s, very heavy. I ate like a hog the whole time. I didn't gain very much weight, which isn't surprising, since I was doing so much work besides my actual workouts, that I probably wasn't able to get enough calories in, despite my massive diet.

Anyway, my back grew a lot this time. I'm not sure why - though I was moving to a new house during my cycle, so I suppose that could have done it. My lower back has gotten huge. It actually looks kind of freakish compared to what I am used to. Unfortunately, the right side is a bit bigger than the left. I must have been favoring the right or something, I don't know. My upper back grew quite a bit too. My wife keeps rubbing her hands over it whenver she gets the chance - she seems to love it.
Nothing else grew much, other than a little bit of mass in my traps and delts.

I'm so addicted to HST now. Even if I don't folllow the routine to the letter in the future, I'll always follow the basic principles of progressive load.
I'm about to find my maxes for the new exercises I'm going to be using next cycle, then I'm going to SD and start all over again.

HST is my new god.

Back