300 THE MOVIE

Yeh theres a few peachy lines. Leonidas was famous for his Laconic wit, in fact the Spartans were famously laconic so much so that the word laconic comes from one of their main provinces Laconia. here are some more examples;

Persian 'surrender your arms'
Leonidas 'come and get them!'

Leonidas's wife 'what shall I do if you don't come back'
Leonidas 'marry a good man, and bear him good children'

Haha I love laconic humour.

Another great example (maybe not in the movie) is the Persians send an emissary to all the greek states and say, "send us earth and water as a sign of your submission".

The Spartans throw their emissary down a well, and say, "fetch it yourself!"

Those guys have balls. I like balls.

I guess I'll have to see it. My pastor of course, shuns it's veiwing due to some nudity, but I'm not that stoic myself. With age piling on, a good testosterone shot now and then (literally and figuratively) is good for the soul...and the gym.
My lady and I like hero movies anyway. I question her motives though....

It's a good guy flick. If you go to the theater, it's worth seeing it on I-MAX, just because it is more impressive. I probably won't watch it again though, maybe once or twice over the next several years once it hits DVD and Blu-ray. Not that it was a bad movie - it was actually a lot of fun, it's just not one of those movies that sticks with me.

It's not the kind of movie you really need to see again (very basic plot) but it looks good and so is definitely one to catch whilst it's still in the theatres.

Quad, tell your pastor that there's no gratuitous sex, just a bloke and his misses having a bit of fun before he goes off to war. There's also a bit of partial nudity but no more than you might have seen if you've ever done a spot of window cleaning. Surely, he won't mind that? Funny how he's not bothered about the brutal murdering of hundreds of Persians.
biggrin.gif

God forbid you see a tit. that would be evil.

Shoving spears straight through people's torsos and watching there innards spill out a hundred times is ok though....sheesh..

OK movie, incredibly violent though. Most women won't like it, my wife stayed home while I went out with the guys.

Rocky Balboa - painful to watch, even just the once. (and me a boxing coach)

300: 42" plasma, surround sound, Now that's a man's movie "HAROO!"
cool.gif

Watched the "original" 1962 last saturday, then the new one Sat & Sun night
laugh.gif

Movie was pretty sweet.
Comic was WAY awesome ("300" by Frank Miller--read it)
As far as the 300 work out---yeah that sounds bloody tough.
Just so nobody dives into it too quick, these guys overtrained a ton. First off if you notice, they're lean but pretty smooth---sweet sweet cortisol. Plus I heard in an interview with Butler that he had to literally take off several months from the gym after filming finished because his body was just destroyed.
The idea of the rep scheme is do-able though, maybe just with calesthenic type exercises (as some sort of cardio) instead of full-bore weight training.

The 300 workout you listed with all the pullups etc was a one time end of training (which was actually for four months) test which only ONE guy finished in 18 minutes.

Apparently the diet was calorie restricted and just barely covered the required amount for recovery....and it consisted largely of nuts, cottage cheese and grapes.

Mark Twight was the trainer.

Like someone else said...check out GymJones

There is nothing all that amazing about getting ripped. Burn calories, eat a calorie restricted diet, resistance exercise to maintain muscle mass. It is very simple to lose fat. Anybody can do it. It is just so damn awful feeling to go through!
ghostface.gif
The only thing amazing about getting really lean is the willpower and discipline it takes. Other than that the 'workout' and 'diet' to get there are very simple.

Everytime some movie comes out with some lean action hero, everyone freaks out and wants to know, "how did he do that?" The same way people have done it for years...nothing new. I am much more impressed with large, massive individuals who took years of training and eating to develop their strength, than a lean 160 lb. guy who took a few months of painful discipline to look amazing.

Just my 2 cents.
tounge.gif

Although I tend to agree with you on this case Sci, I think in general one should have achieved something first before earning the right to talk about how easy/simple it may be.

It could be very hurtful to those who have put in the effort to get to that state when you yourself haven't been able to do that yet. I know that you haven't because of choice, but I am just making a general statement, not just about working out.

Getting lean?Fairly easy. Getting ripped?Not that easy. The 300 guys?Painted-on-abz ruleeeee!Seriously, aside from the bloke playing Leonidas, who looked quite good, the others were fairly poor in terms of physical quality, IMHO.

I am not knocking people who are lean, that is great. All I am saying is that the method is not voodoo or magic like people think. It is mostly about discipline. And that should be congratulated. NOT the workout or diet. A good example is drpierredebs, he recently lost a bunch of fat and looks great doing the paleo-diet. I think he lost the weight because he so rigorously follows his diet and exercise plan and has a ton of self-discipline, not because he has found a magical diet.

The hype that surrounds these movie makes people think there is some magic workout that will turn them into ripped gods if they follow it...not true.

as i mentioned in my prev. post about the movie, i enjoyed it and felt the the physiques portrayed were lean but with a few exceptions not overly impressive muscle (size) wise. i still felt it "worked" for the movie and was obviously the look they were going for, as seen in the links others provided.

one thing i do think is worth keeping in mind is the actors physique is only one aspect of what they are portraying on the screen. obviously, this is a lifting site so the laser focus is on muscle and leaness portrayed and no attention payed at all to the quality of acting, dialog, setting etc. etc.

of course this isnt an acting site so we dont worry about that stuff but it doesnt mean they didnt have to, all while also trying get in the kind of shape in a few months that 1000s will be commenting on for the next couple years. i for one would love the opportunity the focus solely on improving my physical appearance (with the help of trainers and dieticians) over the next 3-6 months but would probably balk at the idea of having to act, nearly naked, on film, for millions of people at the end of that 6 month period.

im comfortable with myself and my appearance, but not that comfortable.

Back