A Good T-Nation Interview

cxw

http://www.t-nation.com/readTop....1587252

I haven't read anything of this guy before, but he's pretty straight up and down, a few qoutes

"Also, there needs to be constant overload in training. Many of the programs I see these days fail to adhere to the most basic principle of training and conditioning "

"I'm about as old-school as they come when it comes to nutritional recommendations. For mass gain, eat! You have to have a calorie surplus if you want to gain mass."

"...It's always funny as hell when some 140 pound "bodybuilder" is concerned with eating anything that might have traces of soy in it because he doesn't want it to negatively affect his Testosterone levels. Uh, sorry pal, but you got many other problems to worry about.

I've carried around 245 pounds with approximately 11-12% body fat for many, many years now with no ill effects. If you guys saw how much soy I eat, well, let's just say that I should be Roberta by now"

"One more thing on this subject. I know we live in an age where everybody is timing their nutrients, nobody wants to strain the CNS, and God forbid you're not doing your foam roller exercises on a daily basis. My reality is this: I have athletes who survive on Mac and cheese, ramen noodles, and Kool-aid. They don't have any money to buy any supplements including a multi-vitamin, and they only get a few hours of sleep each night."

I'm suprised t-nation didn't edit out the bit above, according to most t-nation articles if you're not taking at least 6 of their supplements, then no training program can work!

Interesting read, more so for guys like Ruthenian who are into the fitness aspects and performance rather than building. I agree with him that guys get pretty jacked from that type of training, but I doubt it would produce more hypertrophy in general than HST style training.
I really like this comment of his:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dos: The internet has spawned one of the most ridiculous, laughable creatures of all-time: the self-proclaimed training guru. All I can say is &quot;buyer beware&quot; because, believe it or not, some of these guys don't train a single soul and many of these &quot;programs&quot; out there are total fiction. Yup, they've never been tested on a human being. I don't need to name names; these &quot;gurus&quot; know who they are.</div>
The guy really speaks his mind. Dig that.

Wow. It sounds like he's slamming some of the stupid twats that currently write retarded articles for t-nation. Hm... could this mean a change toward the better for t-nation?

My reaction:

&quot;I've had no problem maintaining muscle mass and strength and power on a vegan diet.&quot;  

But you look like a regular guy and I bet you're weak as shlt.  

&quot;Guess what, guys? You can get jacked and strong as hell without ever eating a single animal product, just like my brother from another mother:&quot;

Yeah, it works for gorillas and elephants.  I get that.  Sure as hell ain't working for you, bud. Next time use one of your athletes to illustrate your point and give his stats, if you have even one who is a vegan.  

&quot;I've carried around 245 pounds with approximately 11-12% body fat for many, many years now with no ill effects&quot;

Huh?  How tall are you, 6'6&quot; ?  Okay, so no ill effects...but where are the positive effects?

&quot;I heard long-time Kansas strength coach, Fred Roll, talk at a seminar once. He said something pretty profound to me. He said that in all his years of training athletes, he'd never been able to &quot;break one down&quot; physically. He wasn't referring to running an athlete into the ground. He was talking about running down an athlete from the prescription of &quot;x&quot; amount of volume and intensity. He basically said push them and push them hard. When they look like they're getting there, push them a little more.&quot;

Screw that.  Fred's philosophy might work wonders for young and gifted athletes between 18 and 25 years old. My old CNS has been burnt to a crisp in the past from overtraining.

Shoot, didn't realize he was vegan... or what he looked like. Hah. Guess I should have read the article. The excerpts in the first post sounded at least a little better than the usual t-nation tripe though.

<div>
(stevejones @ May 29 2007,10:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Screw that.  Fred's philosophy might work wonders for young and gifted athletes between 18 and 25 years old. My old CNS has been burnt to a crisp in the past from overtraining.</div>
After 3 years of 30 sets for chest back and shoulders and 16 for biceps and triceps...and every supplement under the sun...I couldn't agree more.

You can definatly burn your CNS out and it doesn't take much for and expierenced lifter to do it.

I agree with Steve on this one!

When lifting I need to very careful with CNS burnout.

However, for conditioning the body can handle a lot and it responds well.

I never meant this guy was the perfect knowledge base and that everything he said applied to everybody in every situation. His opinions are most relevant to college sports (excluding power lifting and weight lifting).

But given all complex (and highly debatable) &quot;science&quot; regading nutrient timing, g-flux, Waterbury's articles on neural recruitment it was highly refreshing.

I will admit the gorilla bit was pretty irrelevant though.

It is possible to get sufficient nutrition as a vegan. And he probably does (or he's not far off). However, most vegans I've met haven't looked good so I suspect it's rather hard to eat well, but can be done.

As an aside, he's probably vegan on ethical grounds.

Back