Ab Exercises w/HST

K

Key Of David

Surely those of you who incorporate abs into your routines don't treat them as you would every other muscle in your body (progressive HST loading) as these are "posture" muscles, right?

What techniques/routines/reps do you guys use on these that do them?
Also one more question...what exercises can you do for your lower backs?

Basically I'm asking what should I do for a sixpack while utilizing HST.  I'm going for an AM/PM split with my next planned cycle, which will free up time/energy to work on these muscles.

Any suggests/comments/advice is welcome!  
thumbs-up.gif

What you should do for a six pack is cut down your bodyfat percentage to sub 8% levels. Most people claim that at 8-10%, you will only have a four pack - I guess it depends on the person, because I still had a six pack at that point. I'm around 13% probably now and still have a four pack. Maybe I'm calculating my bodyfat wrong, I don't know, but I think it's safe to say that you should try to get under 10% at least.
But anyway, getting your bodyfat low is the single biggest thing you can do to get a six pack. Of course that won't help much if you don't have any abs to show.

If your abs are really small right now, why not throw in some ab work in your HST routine to see if you can get some decent growth in them? Otherwise, there are a few people here who have pretty good routines for abs and core that they do outside of HST. Old & Grey has a decent one, and Fausto posted a couple files a while ago with some good exercises as well.

What ab exercises do you feel comfortable with? I would think something like hanging leg raises with weights, weighted crunches or weighted leg lifts would probably fit into an HST routine pretty well... and your danger of getting a huge midsection should be pretty low unless you are using IGF or something, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I haven't done HST yet (I'm planning out my first cycle now, which I have to work around an upcoming vacation), but I have done ab workouts. ;)

At any rate, dieting advice aside (good tips, Totentanz), I believe heavy weighted ab work yields good results and don't see why this can't be done as part of the HST cycle.

If you have access to a crunch machine, a lat pull-down / cables, and/or something to hang from (hanging leg raises), it should be easy to increase resistance each workout.

This is what I plan to do.

If you're doing any exercises like squats, deadlifts, standing overhead presses then your abs are already getting a good workout. If anything I would just add some crunches on the side. Low bodyfat is what will give you the six pack.

Fireproof

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe heavy weighted ab work yields good results and don't see why this can't be done as part of the HST cycle.

Beware of too heavy a weight for abs, you don't want big abs, you want flat abs, that look good, so look at weights that will allow you to do 20 reps at least, that should be the guide line to use.
tounge.gif

Hopefully I don't raise too many eyebrows
laugh.gif
, let me state right now, this is my opinion only, which will most likely be shared by same, and critisized by others
tounge.gif

But that is what this forum is all about :D

The choice is limitless, it is really about what you like (exercise wise)
butbut.gif
and what your goals are.

Ciao

I agree with Fausto. Many pro bodybuilders seem to have a belly when relaxed. This isn't due to excessive bodyfat levels, it's just that their abs are HUGE. You don't want abs that stick out more than your chest. I do 15-20 reps for each abs exercise throughout my entire cycle (i.e. I do not follow the 15-10-5 pattern for the abs).

Anyway, I would like to repeat that the appearance of the abs is more a matter of bodyfat and less a matter of training. I believe that most (natural) bodybuilders already have fairly developed abs with their current abs routine. The reason that a 6-pack or a 4-pack isn't visible is almost always the fat that covers them up.

Bottom line, if you want visible abs, concentrate on your nutrition and on reducing bodyfat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ June 27 2005,4:46)]I agree with Fausto. Many pro bodybuilders seem to have a belly when relaxed. This isn't due to excessive bodyfat levels, it's just that their abs are HUGE. You don't want abs that stick out more than your chest. I do 15-20 reps for each abs exercise throughout my entire cycle (i.e. I do not follow the 15-10-5 pattern for the abs).
Anyway, I would like to repeat that the appearance of the abs is more a matter of bodyfat and less a matter of training. I believe that most (natural) bodybuilders already have fairly developed abs with their current abs routine. The reason that a 6-pack or a 4-pack isn't visible is almost always the fat that covers them up.
Bottom line, if you want visible abs, concentrate on your nutrition and on reducing bodyfat.
The huge bellies of the Pros is from too much Growth Hormone drugs. That's why they call it GH Gut.

I agree that in 99% of the cases, people just need to shed the fat to see their abs. HOWEVER, I've seen people do this only to find that their abs aren't that impressive due to the thinking that "abs are made in the kitchen".

If you want nice peaks and valleys in your abs, you should work them to some extent. If you do a lot of squats, etc, then you are probably ahead of the curve compared to those that don't. But I personally wouldn't ignore direct ab work, for the same reason you don't just do isometric work for your other muscles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fireproof @ June 27 2005,9:48)]The huge bellies of the Pros is from too much Growth Hormone drugs. That's why they call it GH Gut.
I agree that in 99% of the cases, people just need to shed the fat to see their abs. HOWEVER, I've seen people do this only to find that their abs aren't that impressive due to the thinking that "abs are made in the kitchen".
If you want nice peaks and valleys in your abs, you should work them to some extent. If you do a lot of squats, etc, then you are probably ahead of the curve compared to those that don't. But I personally wouldn't ignore direct ab work, for the same reason you don't just do isometric work for your other muscles.
I couldn't agree More
Even though I'm relatively new to HST, I've always done Heavy Ab work and my belly doesn't stick out like most Bodybuilders
that Growth Hormone stuff is the problem not the heavy loading
e.g. have a look at this pic comparing Ronnie Coleman to Arnie
BBuilders these days are ingesting some weird stuff
(more Pics available @ http://www.ironage.us/virtual/index.html

I know a few people who are using steroids and growth hormone, and they avoid direct abdominal exercise to try to minimize waist thickness. One of them is over 230 in contest condition with a waist that appears to be around 32 or 33 inches. He has really good separation, but doesn't have the "steroid gut" that a few other guys I know have, who do a lot of ab work.

Some people can get away with doing little or no direct abdominal work and still have good abs when lean. Some people have to build their abs up more to have better separation.

Even if you don't need abdominal work for aesthetic purposes, I would recommend performing more strength specific work for the abs and low back because a stronger core will allow you to handle heavier weights in other exercises like squats, standing overhead presses, etc.

If you have good separation at a higher bodyfat level (10% and up) your abs will look great at lower bodyfat levels without making them bigger, and keeping your waist smaller will help make your back and shoulders appear wider so you should focus on getting your abs stronger without gaining size. If you do not have good separation, even at lower bodyfat levels, you need to focus on hypertrophy.

Like most things, it depends on the individual.

Drew Baye
High Intensity Training

Back