abarlament

abarlament

Just noticed this idea went through. Well, I'll just let this journal pick up in my third week of my fourth cycle of HST. Pretty basic this time, trying to hang on to LBM while I cut down for summer, and for the military.

18 MAR - HST IV - Week 3

Bench
215 1x11, 1x8, 1x6

Bent Row
160 1x10, 1x8, 1x7

Squat
235 1x10, 1x8, 1x7

OHP
115 1x10, 1x8, 1x7

Chin
bw (226.5) 2x6

Strength is a bit off, probably due to 3 days of nothing but protein. My lower back, on the right side, still feels tweaked, definetly a pinched nerve. Don't really know what to do with it besides stretching it out (the ass stretch).

I swear I'll get back into running once the weather warms up, it was friggin blizzard-status here yesterday, and it's cold out again! Blah.

19 MAR - HST IV - Week 3

Energy Systems
30' low intensity (walking)

Squat Thrust - 2x20

I was actually planning on walking my dog then going over to the track near here to work on some running, but it started to rain halfway through the walk, which just put a stop to any running ideas. So I finished up the walk and got back, then decided to do some squat thrusts. They're much harder than I had thought, so I just did a few sets of 20. These will be a great addition to PT next quarter, when I can start smoking the little joes again.

Glad to see you around, bar!

Looks like your definitely not doing vanilla HST. You do a specific full set, then drop sets, progressing the weight each or every other workout?

Looks good!

Whoops, yea, sorry. I do cluster sets up to 25. For the first few weeks I generally did 1x15, 1x10, except for squats, because I don't like high rep squats, and I got enough of a burn just doing 12 or 13. Plus, we run 3 or 4 times a week for ROTC.

20 MAR - HST IV - Week 3

Bench
225 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x2

Bent Row
165 1x10, 1x8, 1x7

Squat
245 1x8, 1x9, 1x8

Chins
+5 (232) 2x6

Clean and Press
120 1x9, 2x8

Didn't rest long enough between sets on bench, so had to add in another clustered set. After squats I had to take a little break because I was a bit light headed, and another guy jumped in on the squat rack (yes.. THE squat rack, as in only), so I did chins when I was waiting, and when it was evident he was not close to being done I just cleaned the bar and pressed it. He was a cool dude though, I was wearing a Ranger Challenge t-shirt and we talked about that, and how the hills at Ft. Knox are the things of nightmares.

Now I'm off to get cleaned up, then heading to Morgantown to watch WVU!

21 MAR - HST IV - Week 3

Energy Systems
Warmup
Leg swings (front, back, side/side) - 10ea
Heels-to-butt - 4x10yds
High knees - 4x10yds
light stretching

Sprints
10x100m, non-full recovery

Cooldown
Heels-to-butt - 2x10yds
High knees - 2x10yds
light stretching

Enjoyable, in the same sense that lifting is (the pain feels good). I should start sprinting at the high school track, as it is a real track (rubber, astro-turf football field inside), whereas where I go, mainly because it is close, has a loose gravel, non-marked track, and a grass field inside. I'll drive over the the high school on Friday to check it out... not that it matters, since on Sunday, I'll be away from home until at least August.

22 MAR - HST IV - Week 3

Bench
230 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x2

Bent Row
170 1x10, 1x8, 1x7

Squat
255 1x8, 1x9, 1x8

OHP
130 1x9, 1x8, 1x5, 1x3

Chins
+10 (241) 1x5, 1x4, 1x3

Damn, this is only the third week of the program!? Seems like I've been doing it longer, but such is life. I am making a concious decision to get into heavier weights quicker, since I'm cutting and I want to maintain muscle. I thought squats would be more difficult today since I ran those sprints, and actually felt a bit sore this morning, but they went well.

In order of difficulty at the weights today, it has to be rows, squats, bench, OHP, easer to hard. I may start employing more fatigue-managing methods in the future, since the weights will be heavier. I'm also not sure, but I may drop volume on OHP and add lateral raises, as per Kelly Bagget's theory.

I went shopping today so I might as well tell you about it, because after I update this I have to do some chores so let's prolong it, shall we? I got my first band t-shirt, an As I Lay Dying one, so now I can look like a dirty metalhead at college, yea! I also got some new jeans, and while I was there (American Eagle) I saw some nice button-down shirts I might get when they are on sale... I need to start dressing more like a young adult, instead of jeans + t-shirt all the time. Especially on the weekends ;)

Also got running shoes and inserts, Asics. The total for the shoes and inserts was like $109, so they better be fucking worth it, but since I'll be running a lot, and actually need a good shoe to maximize performance, so be it. That's all.

23 MAR - HST IV - Week 3

Energy Systems
Real Ultimate Hardcore Mulching - 5 hours
Walking dog - ~15 mins

Results 15-23 MAR

Stomach - 40" (no change)
R Bicep - 15.75" (+.25")
Weight - 226.5 (-5.5#)

So, first week was basically a success. This was also the first time in a loooong time I strung together a full week of eating enough (200+g) protein. I eat so little protein at college it's absurd, which I'm going to work on, of course.

Basically what I did this week was a total of 4 days of high protein, low cals (UD2.0/PSMF), and one free meal (Sunday), and one full cheat day (Tuesday-Wednesday). I didn't go nuts on the cheat day, but I did drink about 7 beers and 32oz of malt liquor, but the food wasn't horrendous, and I managed 200+ grams of protein. Training has been weights, and lots of energy systems stuff.

24 MAR - HST IV - Week 3

Energy Systems
Yardwork - 2 hours

Blah. Didn't get a chance to go running today to break in my new shoes because I had to finish mulching, then cut the grass, then rake... now I'm sore and tired and don't want to run. Just waiting for tommorow to go back to college and lift there.

Diet yesterday and today were PSMF.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I didn't go nuts on the cheat day, but I did drink about 7 beers and 32oz of malt liquor</div>

Damn, man, sucking down that much hooch would put me in the ER!!!

But seriously, though, excellent work for your first week. Keep fightin' the good fight!

I stole this from Lady C :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are curious as to the effects of alcohol on the body, this could be the most eye-opening article you will ever read.

Many of us associate the effects of alcohol on the body with the heart, lungs, liver, brain, memory, etc. Furthermore, if asked about effects of drinking alcohol in terms of our fitness goals, most people will let you know about the infamous beer belly.

You know what I'm talking about right?

Drink too much and you end up storing too many calories as fat.

Many people will choose low calorie alcohol drinks or low carb alcoholic beverages in an attempt to avoid the fat storage issue. They feel that by making this choice the only bad effects of alcohol - increased fat storage - will be minimized.

But what you didn't know is that only about 5% of the calories from alcohol are stored as fat! [14]

Then it hit me as it should hit you right about now...

The effects of alcohol on the body are far more damaging than can be predicted by the number of empty calories in some alcoholic beverage.

The truth is...

1- Alcohol really affects the amount of fat your body can and will burn for energy!

In a study done by the American Journal of Clinical Research [4] they concluded that just a mere 24g of alcohol consumption showed whole-body lipid oxidation ( the rate at which your body burns fat) decreased by a whopping 73%!

When alcohol goes thru the liver, the by-product is called Acetate. It would appear that acetate puts the proverbial brakes on fat burning.

Your body can use many types of fuel. Protein, carbohydrates and fat. In many cases, the fuel used is dictated by it's availability.

Trouble is...

Your body tends to use whatever you feed it for fuel right? As your acetate levels increase, your body burns more acetate as fuel.

What this means is...

Fat burning takes a back seat!

What it all boils down to is this...

a) You consume a couple of alcoholic drinks or more.
b) Your liver metabolizes that into acetate.
c) Your body uses the acetate for fat as fuel.

2- Increase in appetite

In another American Journal of Clinical Nutrition study, there was evidence to suggest that consumption of alcohol lead to an increase in appetite over that of any other carbohydrate type drink. [5]

Researchers over in the Research Department of Human Nutrition and Center for Advanced Food Studies in Denmark [8] concluded that consumption of alcoholic beverages, and wine in particular, may enhance total energy intake at a meal relative to a soft drink, when served with no restriction.

3- Decrease in Testosterone and an Increase in Cortisol

A study of 8 healthy male volunteers observed that after drinking alcohol, the effects of a significant decrease in testosterone and an increase in cortisol (a muscle destroying hormone) lasted up to 24 hours! [6]

The only real question to ask yourself is this...

If you are serious about building muscle and burning fat, you want all the free testosterone levels you can get and you want to reduce cortisol in any way you can. That means go lite on the drinking because it does affect your hormones.

What more...

Is that the effects were even worse if you exercise before drinking. [1] This means that if you are going out and will be drinking more than a small amount of alcohol, you might as well skip the gym.

Not shocking is a study done by the Department of Radiology, Sahlgrenska Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden [2] that determined increased waist to hip ratio of alcoholics may include not only changes in adipose tissue, but also in muscle tissue distribution.

In layman's terms.. that means more fat around the waist and less overall muscle mass.

4- Decrease in vitamin and mineral absorption

When you consume large quantities of alcohol, your liver is busy converting the alcohol to acetate and any vitamins and minerals that it might process are taken up by the detoxification process.

Alcohol interferes with the metabolism of most vitamins, and with the absorption of many nutrients. Alcohol stimulates both urinary calcium and magnesium excretion. [13]

This just means that you'll get less of a benefit from the &quot;healthy&quot; meal you may be consuming.

Food in the stomach will compete with ethanol for absorption into the blood stream. It is well known that alcohol competes and influences the processing of nutrients in the body. [12]

5- Decrease in protein synthesis of type II fibers

This means the actual building of muscle is slowed down by 20%+ or more. This included a 35% decrease in muscle insulin-like growth factor-I (GF-I). [9]

6- Dehydration

A common side effect of alcohol is dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic. Drinks containing 4% alcohol tend to delay the recovery process. [11]

Considering how important water is to muscle building and general health, it's clear that dehydration can put a damper on your progress. After alcohol consumption the first thing you might want to do is drink coffee. But that's a diuretic as well. How to avoid dehydration? Drink more water.

7- Sleep

Alcohol consumption, especially at the times when you would normally sleep, can have effects on the quality of sleep. Clearly high quality sleep is extremely important to the rebuilding and growth process of muscle. Without proper rest and recovery, your gains will be affected.

Alcohol consumption can induce sleep disorders by disrupting the sequence and duration of sleep states and by altering total sleep time as well as the time required to fall asleep. [10]

8- The next day

A rather obvious conclusion but if you plan on drinking on a Friday night in excess then the leg workout you thought of doing on Saturday morning won't be top notch. It takes a bit to recover, your body to detoxify and for you mentally to be prepared to workout.

Not to mention you need energy for the workout ahead.

Sure you can hit the weights but my point is...

It's not going to be the best workout you've ever experienced.

At this point you might be totally discouraged to ever drink any alcohol again. But there's some good news.

Here's proof...

In the November 2004 issue of the International Journal of Obesity [7] they did a study on the effects of moderate consumption of white wine on weight loss.

Each group consumed 1500 calories. 150 calories came from white wine in one group and 150 calories from grape juice in another.

The conclusion?

An energy-restricted diet is effective in overweight and obese subjects used to drinking moderate amounts of alcohol. A diet with 10% of energy derived from white wine is as effective as an isocaloric diet with 10% of energy derived from grape juice.

It's simple: Moderation is the key! (with first place being abstinence as you already know).

In any event...

The effects of alcohol on your body when it comes to building muscle and burning fat are quite clear. It is a lot more than just some extra calories stored as fat. If you consume too much, it can derail your goals a lot longer after your head has hit the pillow and you've gone to sleep.

References:

1. Heikkonen, E., Ylikahri, R., Roine, R., Valimaki, M., Harkonen, M., &amp; Salaspuro, M. (1996). The combined effect of alcohol and physical exercise on serum testosterone, luteinizing hormone, and cortisol in males. Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research, 20, 711-716

2. Kvist, H., Hallgren, P., Jonsson, L., Pettersson, P., Sjoberg, C., Sjostrom, L., &amp; Bjorntorp, P. (1993). Distribution of adipose tissue and muscle mass in alcoholic men. Metabolism, 42, 569-573

3. Raben A, Agerholm-Larsen L, Flint A, Holst JJ, Astrup A. (2003). Meals with similar energy densities but rich in protein, fat, carbohydrate, or alcohol have different effects on energy expenditure and substrate metabolism but not on appetite and energy intake. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 77, 91-100

4. Siler, S.Q., Neese, R.A., &amp; Hellerstein, M.K. (1999). De novo lipogenesis, lipid kinetics, and whole-body lipid balances in humans after acute alcohol consumption. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 70, 928-936

5. Tremblay, A., &amp; St-Pierre, S. (1996). The hyperphagic effect of a high-fat diet and alcohol intake persists after control for energy density. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 63, 479-482

6. Valimaki, M.J., Harkonen, M., Eriksson, C.J., &amp; Ylikahri, R.H. (1984). Sex hormones and adrenocortical steroids in men acutely intoxicated with ethanol. Alcohol, 1, 89-93

7. Flechtner-Mors, M., Biesalski, H.K., Jenkinson, C.P., Adler, G., &amp; Ditschuneit, H.H. (2004). Effects of moderate consumption of white wine on weight loss in overweight and obese subjects. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, 28, 1420-1426

8. Buemann, B., Toubro, S., &amp; Astrup, A. (2002). The effect of wine or beer versus a carbonated soft drink, served at a meal, on ad libitum energy intake. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, 26, 1367-1372

9. Lang CH, Frost RA, Kumar V, Wu D, Vary TC. (2000). Inhibition of muscle protein synthesis by alcohol is associated with modulation of eIF2B and eIF4E, 3, 322-31

10. Alcohol Alert, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, No. 41 July. 1988

11. Shirreffs, Susan M., and Ronald J Maughan. 91997). Restoration of fluid balance after exercise-induced dehydration: effects of alcohol consumption, Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol. 83, No. 4, pp. 1152-1158

12. &quot;Alcohol, chemistry and you,&quot; Kennesaw State University, chemcases.com, Aug. 2002

13. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Report to Congress, 1990

14. &quot;Why alcohol calories are more important than you think,&quot; Christian Finn, TheFactsAboutFitness.com
___

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What more...

Is that the effects were even worse if you exercise before drinking. [1] This means that if you are going out and will be drinking more than a small amount of alcohol, you might as well skip the gym.

Not shocking is a study done by the Department of Radiology, Sahlgrenska Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden [2] that determined increased waist to hip ratio of alcoholics may include not only changes in adipose tissue, but also in muscle tissue distribution.

In layman's terms.. that means more fat around the waist and less overall muscle mass. </div>

I'll have to check out the studies that make that rash claim. I also think that doing some cardio, especially HIIT, will kickstart your metabolism the day afterwards.

Here we go.... from: 1. Heikkonen, E., Ylikahri, R., Roine, R., Valimaki, M., Harkonen, M., &amp; Salaspuro, M. (1996). The combined effect of alcohol and physical exercise on serum testosterone, luteinizing hormone, and cortisol in males. Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research, 20, 711-716

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The combined effect of alcohol and physical exercise on the serum levels of testosterone, luteinizing hormone, and cortisol was studied in healthy male volunteers by performing an exhaustive ergometer exercise (1) followed by alcohol intoxication (induced by 1.5 g of alcohol/kg body weight), (2) during alcohol intoxication (induced by 0.8 g of alcohol/kg body weight), and (3) during hangover (13 hr after a dose of 1.5 g of alcohol/kg body weight). Physical stress immediately before alcohol administration prolonged the depressant effect of alcohol on testosterone secretion. This seemed to be mainly a consequence of direct inhibition at the testicular level, even though the role of luteinizing hormone as a contributory regulatory factor cannot be totally ruled out. Cortisol response to exercise was not modified by alcohol under any of the experimental conditions.</div>

Okay, ban me from your log, but I found this intriguing yet again...

I think this a stupid study to look at. The calories you burn during exericse (lifting, cardio, whatever it may be) will be more than the ones you miss out on a slowed down metabolism that was prolonged into the next day. Plus, if you do cardio (something quicker and short like HIIT) during your hangover that next day, you will burn even more calories and once again kick start your metabolism.

On that note, I am going out for some binge drinking!
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay, ban me from your log</div>

Nonsense! My log is your log...

And Slapshotz, I know Lady C (from discussfitness.com boards). Don't care much for what she wrote, because I really like being drunk! Don't mean to be really dismissive, but I think being good and training hard most of the time makes up for some binge drinking. Lots of stuff people worry about is vastly overblown minutae. But I guess that's my two cents.

<div>
(abarlament @ Mar. 24 2007,22:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And Slapshotz, I know Lady C (from discussfitness.com boards).  Don't care much for what she wrote, because I really like being drunk!  Don't mean to be really dismissive, but I think being good and training hard most of the time makes up for some binge drinking.  Lots of stuff people worry about is vastly overblown minutae.  But I guess that's my two cents.</div></div>
I believe Quadancer quoted from Lady C. I was the one in awe of your liver for consuming 7 beers &amp; 32 ounces of malt liquor
biggrin.gif

The point is well taken, that many effects studied are minute and sometimes inconsequential - but that post of hers seemed to indicate a bit more than just trivial effects. I used to be an alcoholic, and I can remember how different it was when I quit. That stuff sneaks up on you.
I would say the post/studies are relevant to any lifter trying to maximise his/her gains, and anyone who is entering the ages where testosterone begins to drop off. When you're young, the extra hormones in your system do make up for a lot of abuse.

25 MAR - HST IV - Week 4

Bench
240 1x8, 1x7, 1x6, 1x4

Bent Row
175 1x9, 1x8, 1x8

Squat
270 1x6, 1x7, 2x6

1-arm Lateral
20 2x10ea, 1x5ea

Crunch Machine
90 2x15

I was showing my friend how to lift today. Basically he's a complete newb, so I am putting him on something like Starting Strength (bench, row, squat, side lateral every day, adding weight on the first three every workout). He ended up today with top sets of 135x5 on bench, 100x5 on rows (did like 3 sets of that cus his form was a little shaky), and 100 5x5 on squats too, because of course his form was a bit shaky on that, but generally it was alright. Basically went with the potatoe sack squats from the Dan John video, then how to set up, then squatting. Anyways, during all this I forgot to do chins (damn), and we got out of there. I'm interested to see where he goes with this.

26 MAR - HST IV - Week 4

Energy Systems
25 min jogging/walking. More jogging than walking (maybe 4' total walking), somewhere around and 8'/mile pace based on RPE.

It felt balls-hot today. First day of class. I'm in a history class that avg. 90 pages reading a week (guh! most I've had ever!), and physiological psychology, voted the hardest psych class here at OU.

Yesterday I didn't quite hit my protein goals, only ate ~170g. Today was better.

Back