abarlament

30 APRIL - HST IV [peak] - Week 9

Squat
315 3x3

Romanian DL
2x4

Crunch Machine
110 1x15, 1x20

If I took 40 reps total on leg days over the past 9 weeks to get where I'm at now, I figure 1/3 of that is 13, so I'll stick with about 13-17 reps-ish during these next few weeks to see how high I can push the weight up.

Weight somehow was at 231, even though I just had protein today before the gym, go figure. Could have been this atrocious weekend (it's my birthday, I'll go nuts if I want to!), yea, it was that.

For some reason our IVs are pissed at us, so they're making us do a ruck march tommorow morning. I was actually planning on doing some cardio after lifting today, but since they are being dickheads I'll nix on that.

4 MAY - HST IV - Week 9

Bench
245 x3; 275 x3

Row
195 x3; 215 x3

Squats
205 x2

Ugh! PT this week has been fucking atrocious. Long run on Monday of about 45 minutes, lifted anyways. Ruck march of about 4 miles on Tuesday, Wednesday was a sprint workout, I slept the rest of the day. Thursday we had more PT, running, but a ton of muscular endurance stuff that had me not really wanting to do much later.

Anyways, today, get up, do a 4 or 5 mile ruck march... halfway up a steep hill and trails, halfway down the same way. This is after I got 4 hours of sleep because I wanted to stay out at the bars because I liked a band that was playhing. However, I felt fucking fantastic this morning, woke up wide awake, tons of energy, came back, ate some eggs and bacon and went back to sleep till 12:20, went to my boring ass military science class, came back, went lifting, now here I am.

The problem is all that cardio, and the ruck march this morning left my lower body in no shape to do squats, so I didn't. Bench even felt harder than it should have. Oh well, I need to concentrate more on cardio anyways.

7 MAY - HST IV - Week 10

I started a 5k training program today called FIRST (Furman Inst.). It's based on three runs a week, with some other kind of training on the other days. Basically I'm going to use it to get my 2 mile time down a little more. I took another PT test this morning, and I ran a 14:48, which is my best time in a long time!

Anyways, if you want to look at the program it's here.

Anyways, on to today's training...

PT Test (am)
65 PU and SU, not really sure but they are above 70 points so I didn't really care about them.
2 Mile 14:48

FIRST (pm)
Warmup
1200m walk to track
10 leg swings (front/back/sides)
4x20 butt kicks
2x20 high knees
stretching

Key Run 2
2400m/12:20
8:10/mile

Cooldown
400m walk
stretching
1200m walk home

I dropped the first Key Run 2 distance, since I ran a hard 2 miles this morning. The first KR2 is supposed to be 1 mile warmup, 2 miles at tempo, and 1 mile cooldown.

8 MAY - HST IV - Week 10

Bench
worked up to 285x3

Row
worked up to 225x3

Squat
worked up to 340x3 PR

Worked up to all top sets of 3, I did sets of 3 mostly, I think I did 265x1 before I did 285x3, and I did singles on 295, and 315. I totally forgot my buddy had lost my wrist straps the other day, so I used chalk today that I keep in my bag for just such an occasion
smile.gif

Legs were a bit sore today from all that milage yesterday, but nothing I couldn't handle. Bench and rows both felt strong, they equalled previous PRs from last year. Woop woop!

10 MAY - HST IV - Week 10

Did not do a FIRST workout today, because we had Land Navigation from 1200-2400 or so. I was fucking dying during hte day, beating bush for several kilometers up and down hills has a tendency to destroy me. The day course was 4 hours long, I spent the last hour trekking along the road, I think the creatine is working, because I cramped for about 500m and had to take a break. I got 5/7 points though, hooray! Night land nav... blah.

11 MAY

Took today off. I got a pleasant suprise when an exam I started studying for this morning, and I thought I failed, I managed to get an 80% on it, TAKE THAT!

12 MAY - HST IV - Week 10

Didn't do FIRST agian yesterday because we had more training out in the woods, same place where we did day land nav. Basically patrolled around in the woods for several hours with full combat gear.

Today, though, I got to lift.

Bench
worked up to 290 1x3 PR

Row
worked up to 230 1x3 PR

Squat
worked up to 350 1x2 PR

Cable Row
80 1x15

Hammer Curls
50 1x8

I'm almost benching 300 for reps, so I'm psyched about that! I had to drop a rep on squats because the second rep was really slow. I might do one or two more workouts trying to increase weight, then start something different for a while.

I don't even want to talk about my day yesterday (or today, for that matter, but I will). Started off the day another ruck march, then later, started lifting. I just didn't feel "good," and never got comfortable on benching, I think my shoulder started hurting at like 185lbs, and I stopped when I hadn't warmed up by 265. However, I did set a 235 1x1 PR rowing, it wasn't as strict as usual, but still better than most people.

Anyways, felt like complete **** this morning, achy joints, headache, didn't feel like doing anything... and this morning was the busiest I've had in a LONG time. PT, write a paper, go get my cell phone from a dude who found it on the street (WTF), iron my uniform, go to class (I eventually skipped my biopsychology class because I was passing out), I'm probably just gonna say 'enough' as far as my current routine, I've set enough PRs for now. I might try some semblence of something else... then from June 8- July 2 or something like that I won't be able to lift at all.

Don't take this offensively, but what exactly is your routine. I've been trying to figure out a pattern of what you've been doing and can't seem to get the grasp of it.

Basically straight up periodization. Basically, its been HST, but then at the end I deloaded and tried to increase the weights into PR level.

BTW This is the second time I've done this kind of thing. Last time I hit PRs also, it's a great simple way to get stronger.

Back