Additional sets for weak body parts

Swole Awms

I have read the posts regarding 2x day training, along with the potential downsides...loss of motivation, fatigue, etc. What are your ideas regarding hitting the gym later in the day, after the full body workout, and hitting just those body parts needing extra attention? Less stressful than another full workout, but placing additional stress on those parts that need to grow in order to achieve a more balanced look.

Any input would be appreciated. Love this site!

I don't see any reason why that needs to be a whole separate workout later that day. Why not just add extra volume for lagging bodyparts during your workout?

I was contemplating the second workout because I'm trying to keep my workout under an hour in order to save some strength for shoulders and arms, and to keep cortisol levels from spiking.

Cortisol doesn't really matter as much as people try to make you believe. A workout that is 60 minutes in length is not a big deal.

My workouts usually last 90 minutes, never noticed a problem. I just drink some carbs and water the whole time to stay fresh.

I'm sceptical that extra sets are necessary for those body parts. They need the same triggers the rest do. My thoughts are:

-Do them earlier in your workout, as long as that's sensible (ala don't open w/useless isolations)
-Where possible, choose compounds that emphasise involvement from those parts, for example, choose supinated chins rather than pronated rows is you're wanting biceps to step it up
-Reduce the overall volume of other parts, so long as that doesn't detract. You're eating X-amount of food. You want more energy to go to those parts. That's my layman's way of describing it. Don't do 4 sets on chest if you think your quads need help.
-There's no need to do more than 15 reps total (16, 14, 17, 13 - whatever, it'll vary day-to-day with the load progression) for a body part, once you're at the 5s. Any more will just be a burden for your CNS.

Cortisol spikes are healthy. It's your body's natural defense of stress. Chronic elevation of cortisol is not good. There are benefits to keeping a workout short but cortisol control shouldn't be your main driver.

Last edited:
I would cut volume back on your strong bodyparts to just enough volume to maintain. One working set is likely enough to maintain. Then add a little extra volume - don't go overboard as that will be counterproductive - to the lagging bodyparts. I've done this myself for my lagging bodyparts with fair success. Obviously genetics will influence lagging bodyparts and if you are talking about a particularly difficult muscle like calves, there is only so much you can do. But a specialization cycle or two where you work just to maintain the good stuff and focus on your lagging parts can do a lot. My pecs used to be one of my weakest muscle groups, along with triceps, and now my pecs are pretty damn good although triceps still aren't where I want them to be. Still, specialization worked for me.

I agree w/shifting emphasis, it's the extra volume I find to be questionable.

e.g.

Lagging Compound Switch
Pecs Flat --> Incline/Dips
Traps (middle) Chins --> Rows, XYZ --> Deads
Lats Rows --> Pulls
Delts Dips --> Flat/Incline (DB OHP)
Tri's + CB bench
Bi's Rows/pulls --> Chins

Stuff like that. If you wanted to throw in a set of a 'good stretch' isolation after each compound (directly or at the end of your workout) I wouldn't argue.

I have read the posts regarding 2x day training, along with the potential downsides...loss of motivation, fatigue, etc. What are your ideas regarding hitting the gym later in the day, after the full body workout, and hitting just those body parts needing extra attention? Less stressful than another full workout, but placing additional stress on those parts that need to grow in order to achieve a more balanced look.

Any input would be appreciated. Love this site!

If you're going to train twice in one day, split up the volume into two groups. Give yourself at least 6 hours between same day training sessions.
This is generally done either a) upper body/lower body split or b) back/bi with chest/tri split

I agree w/shifting emphasis, it's the extra volume I find to be questionable.

e.g.

Lagging Compound Switch
Pecs Flat --> Incline/Dips
Traps (middle) Chins --> Rows, XYZ --> Deads
Lats Rows --> Pulls
Delts Dips --> Flat/Incline (DB OHP)
Tri's + CB bench
Bi's Rows/pulls --> Chins

Stuff like that. If you wanted to throw in a set of a 'good stretch' isolation after each compound (directly or at the end of your workout) I wouldn't argue.

Alex - Can you expand on your concerns about extra volume for lagging body parts if you are reducing volume of stronger ones? Thanks!

Last edited:
Back