Alternative for military press

aamar

Hi find that military press aren't as effective as they use to be so could anyone tell me an alternative apart from shoulder press please.

Thanks
Aamar

I know it isn't a popular exercise but I prefer upright rows. Military Press hurts my shoulders after a while and upright rows do not. Apparently you have to be careful with upright rows but I've never had issues with them.

Military Press can lead to shoulder impingement -- not a good thing. I had that and it took some major surgery to repair it. Now I've been forbidden by my physiatrist to do any overhead lifts. Bummer -- it makes for a very weak bench press... :(

Upright Rows can be a reasonable substitute, however they may also lead to shoulder impingement. Do them carefully, bringing the bar no higher than mid-chest (about nipple height), and no further.

Yeah for what it is worth, I never bring my arms above parallel when doing upright rows, which might be part of the reason why I haven't had problems.

TR - I hear doing shoulder dislocates will make it so you can do overhead work, along with somehow curing cancer and AIDs, according to the bros on the DC site. I never had much success with it myself.

Handstands and Handstand push ups cured my shoulder problems. Bench and Overhead Press with no pain now.

Hi find that military press aren't as effective as they use to be so could anyone tell me an alternative apart from shoulder press please.

Thanks
Aamar

I know this is old, but I just read it and thought I'd toss in the incline DB bench press as a good sub for military press.

Thanks. I think I have found a good one it's a front raise than I move my hands from my sides and bring it level with my shoulder and twist my wrist so my tumbs are facing upwards during the movement

I dunno, I suspect virtually any sort of behind-the-neck press could lead to shoulder impingement.

Maybe it's just me, but after having to have a shoulder rebuilt, I'm careful about such things.

Back