An IFBB Pro's comments on HST

the thing is even some educated guys dont understand HST because they just read,the vanilla routine and think thats it they dont realise its a set of principals and can be adjusted.
i have seen many posts on other forums saying things like"HST is just a fullbody workout" or " HST only uses submax weights" or "HST only recomends doing one set".

Hey hotterdog, I was wondering...did you ever ask Layne Norton from bb.com what he thought about HST? He's a natural bber and I think he has a phd in protein metabolism. He also studies exercise physiology quite a bit.

<div>
(stevejones @ Jun. 04 2008,8:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey hotterdog, I was wondering...did you ever ask Layne Norton from bb.com what he thought about HST?  He's a natural bber and I think he has a phd in protein metabolism.  He also studies exercise physiology quite a bit.</div>
unfortunately, he's not on e board. e closet natural pro in there is skip la cour but i seriously doubt if he used to be natural.
wink.gif

I am working with a natural pro as my personal trainer (just started). He seemed to look at HST simply as a full body workout, but then again all I did was show him my routine, which wasn't implementing progressive load since it was a cut.

Maybe I will ask him to read about it and get his thoughts.

<div>
(jwbond @ Jun. 05 2008,9:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am working with a natural pro as my personal trainer (just started). He seemed to look at HST simply as a full body workout, but then again all I did was show him my routine, which wasn't implementing progressive load since it was a cut.

Maybe I will ask him to read about it and get his thoughts.</div>
well, most ppl seem to have this impression
but it's no easy feat training e whole body
esp when it reaches 10s &amp; 5s. btw,
how on earth did u get e chance to train w him?
u pay him for personal training or yr friend etc?

<div>
(stevejones @ Jun. 04 2008,8:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey hotterdog, I was wondering...did you ever ask Layne Norton from bb.com what he thought about HST? He's a natural bber and I think he has a phd in protein metabolism. He also studies exercise physiology quite a bit.</div>
just went to his official website
http://www.biolayne.com/

he's currently on honeymoon so prob
i can email him when he returns.
tounge.gif

oops sorry, i just realised it's alridi past his honeymoon
laugh.gif

just dropped him an email, let's hope he replies.

I just checked over his site; seems like a smart guy. Real shame about his pec injury. It'll be interesting to follow his rehab and see how long it takes to recover decent strength. And it'll be interesting to see what he makes of HST. If he knows his stuff he will probably have read some of Bryan's articles.

I noticed this image in his training gallery pics:

Layne_front_squats1.JPG

This looks pretty bad to me: weight on toes, heels off the floor and knees shooting out in front. I wouldn't fancy doing that with what looks like over 350lb. Hope he doesn't wreck his knees too.

Not only he doesn't have his weight on the heels feet seem to be tilted inwards as in &quot;bye bye cross tendons of the knee&quot;. Wonder if it was bad form that got him his pec injury.

he replied pretty fast, short &amp; simple answer

&quot;it would work fine for a bodybuilder, i've known quite
a few people who have used it with success&quot;

cool.gif

<div>
(hotterdog @ Jun. 06 2008,5:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">he replied pretty fast, short &amp; simple answer

&quot;it would work fine for a bodybuilder, i've known quite
a few people who have used it with success&quot;

cool.gif
</div>
sometimes he posts on lyles forum,he used to post on john harris`s forum also.he seems to know his training,besides the front squat
rock.gif

Proper form with the front squat requires that the knees go way out over the toes to make sure the torso is as vertical as possible. This requires good ankle flexibility because you must still press with the heels. He seems to lack the requisite flexibility; hence, his weight is on the balls of his feet instead of the heels.

The fact that he is rolling his feet to the inside is disturbing. Done properly he should force his knees out wider due to his stance or make his stance less wide.

However, if he started out doing front squat that way and worked up to that weight, then he has probably conditioned his knees to withstand that kind of punishment.

Back