Anyone done running/walking with weighted pack?

Jester

Per title, wondering if anyone has done cardio with a weighted backpack or vest, and has any experiences they could share on this. Pluses, minuses, practicality etc.

I have done a fair bit of these. I trained for a physical test of 10km with a 25kg pack under 90 min.

i have no evidentiary proof of any kind, but all I know is that it absolutely smokes me. I'm stuffed for the rest of the day and feel fatigued/tired the day after as we'll.

As a cardio tool I would start with a very light pack, short distance and slow pace and build up.

A word of caution, I learnt from experience the lower back will take a beating in the beginning. Don't do any running until you have got a fair few hours of "pack marching" down first.

In saying that, didn't take long to work up the volume and cardio increased in all other aspects. My "beep test" numbers went up as well as lifting capacity in the gym. It's also quite nice as a cardio session. Getting out in all weathers, seeing your surroundings in a different way from driving (although most of the time is spent stairing at the roadway in front, with some sort of a mantra going in your head - one more step, one more step...).

Good shoes is a must. Tape up your feet in prevention instead of developing blisters.

Thats all I can think of.

Oh sweet, that's about 4x more response than I was expecting :p

Atm I'm expecting to schedule them for night-time, just chucking a pack w/some weight (water bottles probably more suited than plates in case the pack randomly rips or something). I've done the school-camp hiking w/30kg pack etc back in high school, but that's only for a week, was over a decade ago and frankly I have no idea what the value of it was when it's all said and done :p.

I live in a really hilly region (literally up-down-up-down-up-down for every single street) so I figure it's going to be pretty good for my quads and glutes.

How light is 'light' ... ?

I'd recommend getting some heavy duty hessian bags or similar and fill with sand. Sits nice and snug in the pack and won't move around. They're cheap, and you can weigh and bag different weights so its easy to add or subtract as you feel. I got two 20 kg's and a couple of 5's still laying around in my garage.

Now, judging by your log, you are both fit and strong so "light" is probably very different for us hahaha...
i started with 10kg but quickly increased. Most importantly, the heavier you go, the less "ROM" you'll have when running. It becomes more like a shuffle. In saying that, I used an old school army pack with steel frame. Good to load heavy but not so comfortable to run with.

And yeah, I definitely felt sore in the whole body, legs, back and shoulders.

Sweet, sand sounds pretty easy then. I'll start it off w/20kgs. I'm probably going for more 'hike' than 'jog' for a while. Not a lot of grass around here, high impact on the asphalt and concrete isn't something I'll do most likely, thanks for the help :)

I've done hiking with heavy packs, we always carry survival gear and etc when we go hiking just in case, cuz you never know. Never really did it for any training purpose though.

Back