Article: reasons not to take steroids

<div>
(xahrx @ Sep. 15 2006,09:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Doctors are generally just fools with MDs who once they leave school, and sometimes in school itself, get their information from the same sources we do.</div>
This is a pretty strong statement. I do agree that doctors certainly aren't all-knowing. A scientist should be using the scientific method to gain new knowledge about such things as the fundamental laws governing nature.

A doctor, like an engineer, applies scientific knowledge to help solve problems. However, being bright and knowledgable in applying established knowledge is not sufficient to qualify one to be a researcher, or to draw accurate conclusions in areas where adequate research has not been done. Doctors are dependent on knowledge developed by scientists to use in helping their patients. In areas where adequate research hasn't been done, their opinion probably isn't worth any more than anyone else's.

It occurs to me that sufficient data is probably out there to draw some reasonable conclusions. It probably resides in the patient history of lots of cardiologists. However, getting access to enough of that data to draw unbiased samples useful in drawing conclusions will probably never happen.

FWIW, while I like science and have had some college level technical science courses, I am not a scientist. I just know that being able to apply some &quot;laws&quot; of physics or biology or whatnot as a professional is not the same as being a qualified researcher.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Sep. 14 2006,20:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What he isn't telling you is that some enlargement of the heart is common in all athletes.  No surprise, since most doctors are just as prejudiced as the public against steroids.  I've heard of doctors who genuinely believed that steroids caused cancer and other dumb crap like that.</div>
ive been a away for a couple of weeks so forgive the late post.

the above is very true,most athletes suffer from &quot;some&quot; enlargement of the heart.

Here is another reason. Though they do not say &quot;how much is too much&quot; a few light cycles is different than years of heavy doses.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Too much testosterone can kill brain cells, researchers said on Tuesday in a finding that may help explain why steroid abuse can cause behavior changes like aggressiveness and suicidal tendencies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s....W5ld3M-

<div>
(Bob Evans @ Sep. 27 2006,08:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here is another reason.  Though they do not say &quot;how much is too much&quot;  a few light cycles is different than years of heavy doses.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Too much testosterone can kill brain cells, researchers said on Tuesday in a finding that may help explain why steroid abuse can cause behavior changes like aggressiveness and suicidal tendencies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s....W5ld3M-</div>
no flame on you but that post is bs.any behavioral changes associated with steroid use would greatly depend on the person and what compounds used,certain compounds can affect serotonin levels in the brain which can alter mood,but the only thing you could expect to get from testosterone is increased blood pressure,rbc,and the desire to mate with anything female
biggrin.gif

kars, I agree. They never say what and how much. Frankly I think mild doses are not harmful. Just like gin one won't hurt you.. might even be good for you 10 will hurt you. Aslo I don't think agression and depression are related to &quot;killing brain cells&quot; agression is a natural outgrowth of test. Normal. And depression is when guys go off having been on it for too long. I agree the article is bs. I think most articles about test are BS. It has become politically incorrect to speak in a rational way about test.

Bob

As if it would matter?? We lose brain cells everyday. If losing a few brain cells actually caused noticeable differences in your attitude and function, then everytime you bump your head, you would alter your basic attitude and personality.

The brain has tons upon tons of extra neurons just for this kind of stuff, so even if testosterone kills brain cells, it is nothing to be concerned about.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Sep. 27 2006,13:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As if it would matter??  We lose brain cells everyday.  If losing a few brain cells actually caused noticeable differences in your attitude and function, then everytime you bump your head, you would alter your basic attitude and personality.

The brain has tons upon tons of extra neurons just for this kind of stuff, so even if testosterone kills brain cells, it is nothing to be concerned about.</div>
Not to mention a body of existing research showing testosterone treatment has a positive effect on alzheiner's patients.

There was also some investigation by some psychologists or psychiatrists on steroid users that determined that the use of 'roids tends to bring out your inner personality, as by accentuating it into sort of an extroverted mode, so if you're an angry person to begin with...roid rage.
As much as my wife likes to talk; I don't want to see her on steroids! Sheesh!

Back