Asperatame

Joe.Muscle

So my chiropractor yesterday is going on and on about how asperatame in diet drinks causes cancer, and kidney problems, as well as parkinse disease and others.

He also says it has phamaldahyde in it?

Any of you nutritional gurus out there no anything about this?

according to the chiro.

It is banned everywhere but the usa???

Now I haven't researched any of this so I am taking his opinion....only?

Here is the National Cancer Institute’s official position on the potential cancer link: NCI Aspartame Q&A

And here is an abstract of the rat study that did identify a link:  Soffritti, et al

The conclusions you draw from this will depend upon a number of factors:

(1) How much do you weight direct lab testing versus retrospective epidemiologic studies?
(2) How does animal research translate into real world human effects (particularly if the animals involved are bred to be cancer-sensitive)?
(3) What is your risk tolerance?

I don’t personally drink a lot of sodas and have never gone for fake sugars.  Plus, this kind of controversy doesn’t make me feel comfortable with the stuff.  Still, there is an old toxicology phrase:  “The dose makes the poison” – in other words, small amounts may be ok, large amounts may not be.

The complication here would be if: (1) the Europeans are correct that the rat study lacks a positive dose-response relationship, and (2) aspartame does actually turn-out to be carcinogenic.  Now, that would be scary (in other words, even small amounts are hazardous).  Their conclusion, however, was that the cancers were unrelated to aspartame

As to non-carcinogenic effects, I didn't have time to look into that yet.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 09 2007,12:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">according to the chiro.

Now I haven't researched any of this so I am taking his opinion....only?</div>
He's wrong, it's quite legal in Europe. I've got some chewing gum with the sweetener in on my desk now (I'm in Europe).

There have been further studies done on aspartamine, following up the rat study linked to above - search the pubmed database if you're interested in reading up about the research published in reliable journals

In short, these studies haven't found significant negative effects from aspartame, unless eaten or injected in riculously large quantities or you're one of the very few people who may be allergic. The European recommendation - under 40 mg/kg of bodyweight - seems sensible enough, and unless you're getting through masses of soda etc., you should be fine.

Ironically, there's much stronger evidence that chiropractic manipulation carries a (v small) risk of doing serious damage than there is that aspartame is harmful in normal doses.

<div>
(jmm @ Jan. 09 2007,13:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 09 2007,12:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">according to the chiro.

Now I haven't researched any of this so I am taking his opinion....only?</div>
He's wrong, it's quite legal in Europe.  I've got some chewing gum with the sweetener in on my desk now (I'm in Europe).

There have been further studies done on aspartamine, following up the rat study linked to above - search the pubmed database if you're interested in reading up about the research published in reliable journals

In short, these studies haven't found significant negative effects from aspartame, unless eaten or injected in riculously large quantities or you're one of the very few people who may be allergic.  The European recommendation - under 40 mg/kg of bodyweight - seems sensible enough, and unless you're getting through masses of soda etc., you should be fine.

Ironically, there's much stronger evidence that chiropractic manipulation carries a (v small) risk of doing serious damage than there is that aspartame is harmful in normal doses.</div>
GREAT POST....

A good way to play devils advocate!!!!
biggrin.gif

Another problem with aspartame is that is has caused fatigue in some people, me being one of them. Saccarine has been cleared as a safe substitute though. Turns out that is caused ONE type of cancer in ONE type of rat, so that began all the hoopla years ago. I just recently did a big study on artificial sweeteners because my wife thrives on the stuff. (especially Splenda)

Considering that chircopractors are not real doctors and their entire chiropractic theory about subluxations is based on pseudoscience, I wouldn't listen to anything they say without doing some research or talking to a real doctor who has actually had true medical training first (though we all know that even real doctors don't always know what they are talking about...)

Aspartame might cause problems in people who have a very specific condition (phenylketonuria) but for the general populace, it is safe. I prefer splenda, personally.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 09 2007,17:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">(especially Splenda)</div>
Splenda ROCKS

Thanks guys for the info.

As always you guys help a lot.

I can tell you this between HST, Dan's site and Lyles site ( i have just found and love) you can pretty much find the answer to any damn thing!
laugh.gif
Lots of intelligient guys around here.

Now....who shot Kennedy?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

My wife puts about six packets of Splenda in ONE CUP of coffee! Our bro-in-law found a study that said that only very small amounts of the sucralose leaves the body, so I'm concerned about what the excess might do. I saw one such study myself, so I know he didn't make it up. There's even a website about the &quot;dangers&quot; of splenda and other supps, but you have to take some of it with a grain of salt. They're pretty biased.

1/2 packet of sugartwin for me. I just feel safer using dextrose and maltodextrin, since BB'ers use CUPS of it with no ill effects.

My worry with 6 packets of sweetener in a coffee is you wouldn't taste the coffee - such a waste ;)

Pretty much everything we do or eat is potentially harmful - aspartame's well-researched and there's minimal evidence of harm (whereas even sugar has been shown to lead to an increased risk of diabetes, if you eat a lot of it...) As I said, even chiropracty has definite risks attached, and as for lifting heavy bits of metal...

well we know coffee isn't good for you.
but were not sure if splenda in coffee is good for you or not.

solution: stop drinking coffee

That explains why I have cancer, due to having drank coffee my entire life. Oh wait, I don't have cancer.

Hey, maybe you should have quoted the rest of it instead of just picking the one sentence that supported your statement. Right after the sentence you quoted, they go on to say the following:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Nevertheless, moderate coffee consumption is not considered a risk factor for cancer. And coffee is linked to the following benefits: It boosts endurance by delaying fatigue; it improves long-term memory; it may help prevent kidney stones; it relaxes lung spasms during an asthma episode; and, as you may have discovered, it stimulates your gastrointestinal tract.
</div>

In fact... a basic search turns up research indicating that coffee consumption can actually reduce the risk of some types of cancer.

I was gonna say...
One thing about caffeine, is it's pretty bad when you do enough to become addicted, such as it is. You get tired a lot instead of feeling boosted; at least that happened to me before I quit it and I felt much better after quitting. I'd researched the web on it and found a lot of other people were having the same problem: fatigue. It's an easy quit though, not like quitting drinking or something.

Joe.Muscle

about phamaldahyde and Asperame....

Once I bought a new protein container and started having KRAAZZYYY head-splitting head aches while doing workouts... then i read some stuff on the net about head aches &amp; exercise and found out that ppl were getting same kinds of headaches cause of extra amounts of Aspertame &amp; artificial sweeteners they were consuming.

so from that time on I always choose powders with minimum amount of Aspertame and have no problems anymore..

Back