Asperatame

Its fun when people say the term "known carcinogen", in terms of nutritional causes of cancer there are very few (ie <5) "known carcinogens"

A ton of **** can be carcinogenic

Dose, duration, and a bazillion other factors will screw that up every time.

and that article is nearly worthess because 1) its not a journal, its a tit bit of information like you would get in the front of a mens health magazine and 2) no references = no frikin pie

Coffe is one of the greatest sources of antioxidants around, even better than tea in some measures.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Coffe is one of the greatest sources of antioxidants around, even better than tea in some measures. </div>

And I am going to drink another cup...

BTW, it is FORMALDEHYDE not Phamaldehyde which is the way a New Yorker enunciates Formaldehyde.

I know this is a late posting (for me and for this thread) but I couldn't help but see no one addressed the formaldehyde misinformation.

Aspartame doesn't contain it. Aspartame was converted into a trace amount of formaldehyde, among other things, in a rat's gut and hence was found in the bloodstream. The same does not happen in humans.

If you need a link to the study I can find it. Right now I'm busy drinking my caramel flavored diet Pepsi. ;)

*edited to add*

I wasn't serious about the Pepsi, but that does bring up another question which I'll bring up in another thread.

I really wish dumb stuff like this would stop making the rounds everywhere. OMFG. It is such a pain having to explain crap to people every day about dumb things.

&quot;Artificial sweeteners are bad.&quot;

&quot;Protein will kill your kidneys and/or liver.&quot;

etc etc etc

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 30 2007,16:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It is such a pain having to explain crap to people every day about dumb things.

&quot;Protein will kill your kidneys and/or liver.&quot;

etc etc etc</div>
Bent Over Rows will cause an increase of body hair...
biggrin.gif

The sad thing is, there are probably people out there who would think I was serious and actually believe what I said.

apartame is perfectly fine really. There are only three ingrediants...two amino acids and methane. The methane in an Equal packet is less than the methane in an apple. Anything in excess is harmful...heck, water intoxication can kill a person if he or she drinks enough of it. Unless you are a phenylkentoneric (sp?) and can't take the phenalalanine amino acid, it shoudl be perfectly fine. These &quot;studies&quot; were largely paid for by the sugar industry that initially though of Nutrasweet (aspartame) as a threat. Heck, if table sugar was now just invented, it would never get passed by the FDA...it is that bad for you.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bent Over Rows will cause an increase of body hair...
biggrin.gif
</div>

This is why I added them to my recent HST cycles!
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I really wish dumb stuff like this would stop making the rounds everywhere. OMFG. It is such a pain having to explain crap to people every day about dumb things.

&quot;Protein will kill your kidneys and/or liver.&quot;</div>

Relax Tot, but at least KofD was trying to clear up a few things.

<div>
(spartan74 @ Jul. 31 2007,21:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Unless you are a phenylkentoneric (sp?) and can't take the phenalalanine amino acid, it shoudl be perfectly fine.  </div>
What are the symptoms? If fatigue, it could explain my increased energy when I switched my daily coffee sweetener to maltodextrin from Equal.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 30 2007,16:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bent Over Rows will cause an increase of body hair...  
biggrin.gif
</div>
You know the funny thing for me is that my Pendlay Row is really moving this cycle and I am noticing a lot more body hair!
wow.gif

&quot;What are the symptoms? If fatigue, it could explain my increased energy when I switched my daily coffee sweetener to maltodextrin from Equal.&quot;

Well equal doesnt have any caloric value, but maltodextrin does so you would get more energy from it.

Mentioned earlier, formaldehyde is one of the anti-aspartame favorites, but IIRC studies have shown the the metabolism of aspartame produces less formaldehyde than common fruit juices contain. I am not sure how it was compared (i.e. weight/weight or serving/serving).

Here you go Quad...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a genetic disorder that is
characterized by an inability of the body to utilize the
essential amino acid, phenylalanine. Amino acids are the
building blocks for body proteins. 'Essential' amino acids
can only be obtained from the food we eat as our body does
not normally produce them.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">CAUSE:

PKU and the other causes of hyperphenylalaninemia are
inherited in a recessive fashion. </div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">SYMPTOMS:

Infants with PKU appear normal at birth. Many have blue
eyes and fairer hair and skin than other family members.
Currently, most symptoms of untreated PKU are avoided by
newborn screening, early identification, and management.
(see Treatment Section)

The following describes untreated PKU symptoms-currently a
rarity:

About 50% of untreated infants have early symptoms, such as
vomiting, irritability, an eczema-like rash, and a mousy
odor to the urine. Some may also have subtle signs of
nervous system function problems, such as increased muscle
tone, and more active muscle tendon reflexes. Later, severe
brain problems occur, such as mental retardation and
seizures. Other commonly noted features in untreated
children include: microcephaly (small head), prominent
cheek and upper jaw bones with widely spaced teeth, poor
development of tooth enamel, and decreased body growth.
</div>

RED:: http://www.medhelp.org/lib/pku.htm

I'm thinking you aren't phenylkentoneric'.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Jan. 12 2007,02:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">BTW, it is FORMALDEHYDE  not Phamaldehyde which is the way a New Yorker enunciates Formaldehyde.</div>
Which brings me to my money saving scheme. Even if the stuff is carcinogenic, the more I ingest the less embalming fluid will be needed when I'm dead.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Which brings me to my money saving scheme. Even if the stuff is carcinogenic, the more I ingest the less embalming fluid will be needed when I'm dead.</div>

That's funny. I don't care who you are, but that's funny!

SYMPTOMS:

Infants with PKU appear normal at birth. Many have blue
eyes and fairer hair and skin than other family members.
Currently, most symptoms of untreated PKU are avoided by
newborn screening, early identification, and management.
(see Treatment Section)

The following describes untreated PKU symptoms-currently a
rarity:

About 50% of untreated infants have early symptoms, such as
vomiting, irritability, an eczema-like rash, and a mousy
odor to the urine. Some may also have subtle signs of
nervous system function problems, such as increased muscle
tone, and more active muscle tendon reflexes. Later, severe
brain problems occur, such as mental retardation and
seizures.
Oh CRAP! I'm fairskinned, blue eyed, was a really irritable child, have great reflexes, and have been called retarded! OMIGOD! OMIGOD! OMIGOD!
wow.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 09 2007,12:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">according to the chiro.

It is banned everywhere but the usa???</div>
I live in australia and our 'diet' foods contain the stuff.

[bump]

I am interested in who backs up the studies on aspartame and it's side effects. A co-worker brought up how bad the stuff is for you, and how cancer rates have been up because of the toxins in the American food supply. I would either like to disprove him OR find out why he would be right.

You can't disprove his view because the idea that 'toxins' in the food supply are causing an increase in cancer rates is untestable. What toxins, how much, why now when trillions of natural 'toxins' have been around for so long which are just as potent? It's the kind of vague claim you see before someone hawks some BS product meant to be 'better', 'safer', etc., and guaranteed to put money its maker's pocket.

<div>
(xahrx @ Oct. 04 2007,03:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You can't disprove his view because the idea that 'toxins' in the food supply are causing an increase in cancer rates is untestable. What toxins, how much, why now when trillions of natural 'toxins' have been around for so long which are just as potent? It's the kind of vague claim you see before someone hawks some BS product meant to be 'better', 'safer', etc., and guaranteed to put money its maker's pocket.</div>
There was no product being advertised, and what type of natural toxins have been our food supply for centuries?

BTW, I have an innocent curiosity to this subject. I don't solely join one side or another, and I want to find out the facts. Maybe, I should search pubmed?

Back