B/B Rows

richard richard

Hi Guys,

Started doing rows again after not using them for a long time. I have been noticing/feeling it working intensely on my left side only though. Like a lot of people I have one arm slightly bigger than the other, my left bi is 1/2 inch bigger than the right. Could this be the reason why I only get a good pump on my left side?

I hit them again today during the 15's, checked my form properly and kept the barbell level throughout the movement but still only felt like the left side was doing the work. I have thought about maybe adding a little more of the weight to right side to see if this fixes the issue, anyone else have this problem?

I also notice that when I do dips the left side seems a lot stronger than the right too, nothing I can do about that though. Many thanks.

Sounds like some muscle imbalances or lengths. Possibly doing stretches, trunk twists or something like that might help balance you out. Or could it be that you do something regularly with that side only?
If you have no pains, I wouldn't worry about it; as you progress and get larger, things have a way of mostly evening themselves out.

Thanks Quad,

Its nothing that I do only that side only, I am right handed but have always been stronger left some reason. I will just keep a check on it, like you said hopefully it will balance itself out. Will try varying my grip, see if that helps. Will also start strething more than I currently do.

If you aren't going to compete I wouldn't worry.

I have the same issue, I'm right handed yet my left side is larger, arms, chest, and legs. Although unusual, as most have the opposite issue, since I don't compete I don't worry about.

If you are going to compete then this is something you'll need to correct and there are several easy ways of doing so.

Many thanks Dan,

Never plan on competing, so like you say its never going to that much of an issue really. Just thought I should ask around to see if anyone experiences this. I was worried it might affect long term symmetry thats all.

Here is a recent pic, do you think it is affecting my symmetry?

I can see it, it's quite pronounced for an injury free individual . Although you don't compete it's understandable why you would want to try to minimize this discrepency.

I would use extreme measures to correct this- moving to strictly dumbell work + treating the two sides almost like two seperate muscle groups for a cycle(or 2); I'd do nothing but maintain the dominant side while approaching the smaller side in normal fashion (progressing the load ect.).

Have you ruled out pinched nerves, medical causes?

Ha, ha! Very funny! Some of us here also have Photoshop you know. You really need to forget the gym and work on your cloning and history brush technique.  
biggrin.gif

Good one Russ.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Apr. 12 2007,09:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ha, ha! Very funny! Some of us here also have Photoshop you know. You really need to forget the gym and work on your cloning and history brush technique.  
biggrin.gif

Good one Russ.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Believe it or not , thought he might be serious...i just woke up - in my defense.

If you really feel this is a serious issue with your back, you could always drop BB rows for a couple cycles and do just DB rows on the weak side.
I've tried to correct imbalances before and never had much luck. Strength evened out for me, burt size did not for some reason. So my left upper arm is a half inch smaller than my right... big whoop.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 12 2007,23:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've tried to correct imbalances before and never had much luck.  Strength evened out for me, burt size did not for some reason.  So my left upper arm is a half inch smaller than my right... big whoop.</div>
Tot, you mean your right arm is even larger than your already massive left arm.

Positive thinking my friend.
biggrin.gif

I would think of 1/2&quot; for arms a fairly large difference; enough to work on it. I think I'm about 1/8&quot; different, but one definitely looks larger/better/different than the other. I just ignore it, but I'd maybe try some specialty work for 1/2&quot; or more.
But that's just me. Doesn't mean anyone else should worry about it.

i find my left arm is stronger than my right &quot;i am right handed&quot; my theory on this is because i use my right hand all the time the left hand gets more rest and time to recover
rock.gif

I found out that my left punch was much stronger than my right when I was doing Karate: I'm left-handed, but am forced mostly to use my right hand due to right-handed tooling. I think you're right. If that was universal, we'd all be stronger on the left. Hm.
Another worthless thought from the pontification department. I'm going to work now...

I was thinking exactly the same thing faz. The difference in my arms is only really noticable when they are flexed though, so am not bothered that much about it right now. I will see how things pan out during my cycle and if it appears to keep out-growing the right then I will try D/B Rows like Tot said.

Funny though as previously I used to do seated rows on a machine, not pulley rows and I felt it working all the muscles in equality. I cant really use it for HST though as the increments are too great and it would result in too much zig zagging through the cycle. The only thing I can put it down too is an arm length issue.

Back