Barbell and Dumbbell exercises

grunt11

Note this is not a BB vs DB question, I’ve already read that topic to death. Rather I’m trying to confirm some assumptions I’m making, and looking for feedback based on what little I can find about it.

Is it valid to assume that neural adaptation to a DB movement will be greater than for a comparable BB movement, or are they close enough not to really matter?

Is it valid to assume there is neural adaptation required when switching between comparable BB and DB movements or vice versa, and if so about how long might it take?

Is it valid to assume that the neural adaptation required switching from BB to DB is going to be greater than going from DB to BB or is the difference going to be minimal?

More generally is it a bad idea from a hypertrophy standpoint (i.e. are you losing any significant opportunity for hypertrophy due to neural adaptation) to switch between BB & DB versions of the same exercise from cycle to cycle or even during the same cycle?

1. Yes, due to using more stabilizing muscles, etc, it will probably take a little longer to adapt but I don't think it will be greatly longer than for a BB lift.

2. There is some but I don't think it is a whole lot different as long as the movements aren't too drastically different between the BB and DB - ex DB bench versus BB bench, not a ton of difference but there is some, whereas BB deadlift versus DB deadlift there is a lot of difference in how the entire lift works. How long will it wake will depend on you, and also of course if you were familiar with the lift in the past.

3. Possible, but I'm not really sure. I honestly don't think you will notice a huge difference either way.

4. I don't think it would be a big deal. I would prefer not to switch too many of them, but if you swap out ex BB bench for DB bench but keep the others the same, or switch out BB rows for DB rows at the same time, it probably won't hurt anything. I think that by the time you were through the 15s, you would be adapted anyway.
I would prefer to instead of switching them out completely to alternate them within the cycle, so you would actually be adding them in. This of course depends on what other lifts you have in your routine, and might necessitate dropping a lift at the same time. Just depends.

But anyway, I think the adaptation between BB and DB won't be such a big deal that you have to worry about it, as long as you aren't going to a drastically different exercise, like BB Bench to DB Flies or something like that.

Thanks for the detailed response. My original plan was to switch out DB Bench and Shoulder Press for BB when I got up to around 85% of my 1RM. However, I am reconsidering completely switching them out and instead just switching them on 1 or 2 of the 3 upper body workouts so I’m alternating between them during the same week.

Back