Beijing 2008 Weightlifting

• Thread starter imported_fearfactory
  • Start date
Thankfully, the good old Beeb are doing a fine job of covering the Weightlifting.

Here's the BBC's coverage details: BBC 2008 Weightlifting Coverage

And here's the whole Games coverage schedule: BBC 2008 Olympic TV Schedule

Watched the ladies 48kg category last night. Pretty amazing and humbling as they are lifting more than me at about half my body weight. Most of them are pretty short but, still...; that's a lot of power from a small body.

Chen Wei-Ling's 115kg failed C&J attempt was pretty spectacular; it'll end up on YouTube for sure. Chen Xiexia's 117kg (257lb) C&J set a new Oly Record and earned her the Gold. She's already got the WR of 120kg so it wasn't a PR but a damn fine lift all the same. Lifting 117kg is at least 2.4 x her body weight! Just to deadlift that would be out of reach of, or very hard for, the majority of fit women. Impressive stuff.

*sobbing*

my work computer doesn't have the plugin necessary to view the videos via NBC...

-edit
*even more distraught*
the NBC link gives me an error:  "We're sorry, but the below information indicates that you are not a subscriber to an approved TV service provider and are not authorized to watch live, rewind or NBC encore video. If this is not correct, please click "change"."  ...if someone knows of a zip code/cable provider that will allow me to view these games, please PM me.

-2nd edit
*all smiles*
if you say you're a DirecTV subscriber, NBC will let you watch the vids.

^ very succinct description, he was devestated.

__

this is awful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5er6i5-CKQ

Olympic Weightlifter Janos Baranyai pops his elbow out of its socket as he breaks it backwards while trying to snatch 148kg during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. He was part of the Group B 77kg and was rushed to the hospital where his elbow was popped back in.

The YouTube vid is just terrible. Never seen that happen before. I can imagine that even when he has healed it will take a great deal of time and courage to start lifting anywhere near those loads again. I guess he was in PR territory? One thing about my physiology that I've always been happy with is that my elbows don't hyper-extend naturally. Some folks have elbows that bend back past 180. It did look a bit like that was the case with Baranyai. Difficult to tell though. Certainly brings home just how much weight these lifters are throwing about. And considering how hard they are all pushing themselves, there are very few serious injuries like this. Hope we get to hear if he is going to be okay.

<div>
(fearfactory @ Aug. 13 2008,9:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">^ very succinct description, he was devestated.

__

this is awful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5er6i5-CKQ

Olympic Weightlifter Janos Baranyai pops his elbow out of its socket as he breaks it backwards while trying to snatch 148kg during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. He was part of the Group B 77kg and was rushed to the hospital where his elbow was popped back in.</div>
Yikes! I bet that hurt!

weight11308getty_790135c.jpg

See what I mean about his elbow (hyper) extension? The left one (nearest to camera) wasn't the one that went but it looks pretty dodgy.

the world record for the 77kg guys is 210kg thats nearly 3 times there bodyweight pressed above there heads thats f***ing amazing
rock.gif

Lol, that picture looks like it hurts. I haven't seen any of the weight lifting yet. It may be televised during the day on NBC, or not at all considering Americans do not have much of a presence in the competition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/sp...htlifting.html

Weight Lifting Is More Than Brawn

By GREG BISHOP
Published: August 14, 2008

BEIJING —To the uninitiated, weight lifting appears strenuous and simple, devoid of any strategy beyond bend, lift, grunt, grimace.

But inside a room behind the stage, coaches huddle in small groups, speak in hushed tones and position lifters like giant pieces on a chessboard.

Dozens of factors play into their decisions, and those factors change constantly based on opposing coaches’ responses or attacks. Rules, timing and good fortune are critical. Mistakes here cost athletes four years of work.

“It’s sort of like playing chicken,” said Cheryl Haworth, a bronze medalist for the United States at the 2000 Games. “Sometimes, it comes down to who can fake the other person out sooner. Or who buckles under pressure.

“Or who bluffs, and who can call it.”

The basic rules work like this: lifters get three attempts in each of the two categories — the snatch and the clean-and-jerk — and their best lifts in each category are combined for their competition total.

The athlete who pledges to lift the lowest weight goes first, and all attempts at that weight are made before moving on.

This can turn weight-lifting competitions that ultimately come down to who can lift the most weight into contests that more closely resemble the schoolyard refrain of I triple-double-dog dare you.

Athletes become lobbyists. Coaches get conservative, or greedy.

Strategy sessions can turn into screaming matches, filling the back room with foul language in multiple native tongues.

“There are certainly situations where coaches send athletes out for the wrong weight,” said Frank Eksten, USA Weightlifting’s team leader. “Could cost them money, could cost them a medal, could cost them a place on the team.”

Dennis Snethen, USA Weightlifting’s executive director, does some of his best work in that room behind the stage, where coaches engage in strategy no one ever sees and only they discuss.

“It’s really a challenge for the coaches,” Snethen said. “To be honest, I’m really, really addicted to it.”

Haworth compares the coaches’ endless debates to white noise, their demeanor to a “bunch of busy little worker bees.”

But she admitted that if the coaches are too calm, she worries why that is; if they are too frantic, she begins to lose it, too.

“The key is for everyone to, um, weigh their options,” said Melanie Roach, who finished sixth in the 53-kilogram (117-pound) weight class. “No pun intended.”

Someone who bluffs by listing an insanely heavy first attempt may not lift anything until all the other athletes have finished their three attempts below it. Of course, then that athlete will have to lift exactly what he or she listed.

That counts as one example where strategy comes into play. Another part of the strategy involves a rule that allows athletes to make two changes during the competition.

The lifters can use strategy for intimidation, or to set personal records or national records — which can be worth money — or to maximize their placing.

For instance, Roach knew by the clean-and-jerk event that she would not medal here. Her coaches decided to go for the American record in her weight class. Her first attempt was at 105 kilograms (231.5 pounds). They planned her second try for 110 (242.5 pounds), but because a competitor lifted 108 (238.1 pounds), they had her lift the same amount to ensure that she would finish sixth. On her third lift, she hoisted 110 kilograms over her head to safely set the record.

“You need to maximize position,” Snethen said. “I never give up anything, not even the weight of one potato chip.”

Coaches generally set a basic plan a day or two before competition, then adjust it. At that point, Roach leaves all decisions to them.

She used to pay attention to the chess game, at least until the world championships in 1998.

Earlier that year, Roach had set a world standard with a clean-and-jerk of 117.5 kilograms (259 pounds). She opened at the worlds with 107.5 (237 pounds), a high number for an opener, but well below what she did before.

She missed once. She got nervous. She missed twice. She got more nervous, sitting in the back room, thinking, “I’m going to bomb out.”

Then she missed the third.

“It happens every competition,” Roach said. “Someone makes a mistake, either too high, or too low.”

Different countries vary their approach, and those approaches can reflect a country’s traditions. The Americans allow their athletes more input. The Russians are at the mercy of their coaches.

After all the positioning, it still comes down to power. The strategy on the stage becomes simple again: bend, lift, grunt, grimace.

“You can talk all about the games, all about the strategy,” Eksten said. “But in the end, whoever lifts the most weight wins.”

Checkmate.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Aug. 14 2008,3:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lol, that picture looks like it hurts.  I haven't seen any of the weight lifting yet.  It may be televised during the day on NBC, or not at all considering Americans do not have much of a presence in the competition.</div>
The BBC's coverage was pretty great (although I didn't get to see it all due to work). I expect IronMind will get all the sessions out on DVD for those that are interested in analysing such things.

The Men's Over-105kg Final was really great to watch. Matthias Steiner managed a 258kg (568lb) C&amp;J to earn him the Gold, knocking Russia's Evgeni Chigishev into Silver medal position. Chigishev was 7kg ahead after the snatch too (he lifted 210kg but Steiner had to settle for 203kg after he failed his last lift at 207kg). Considering Steiner also missed his first C&amp;J this was absolutely brilliant. Chigishev is a monster, so anyone that can outlift him has to be pretty special. Scerbatihs was lifting really well too. Just a fantastic competition.

Rezazadeh's 263.5kg C&amp;J is still the Oly record but Steiner wasn't far off. Hopefully, he and Chigishev will be even more powerful by the London Games in 2012. I'm going to try to be there for that session.
cool.gif

Back