Best Leg Curl

jdonahue

Does anyone have an opinion on which is better for the hamstrings, lying leg curls (lying prone on a flat bench) or seated leg curls (doing a reverse leg extension). Does lying prone allow for a better stretch on the hams, or does it matter. I'm considering buying a seated leg extension/leg curl machine to save space in my home gym, but I don't want to compromise the effectiveness of the leg curl exercise by performing them seated as opposed to lying down.

Thanks

the best thing will be stift legged dead lift (not a lot of weight - focus on stretch)

seated vs lying - i feel that lying i get more out of the exercise...i can focus better and my back is not moving around

Yeah, SLDL is better than leg curls, in my opinion. You should be able to move a ton more weight. I like good mornings a lot too.

jdonahue

To answer your question exactly it is the standing leg curl for Biceps Femoris (hamstring) 82% (EMG) and the Seated Leg curl for the Semitendinsus (hamstring) 88% (EMG).

See below the EMG chart which was downloaded sometime in 2003 can'tr remember from where.

Just remember though that EMG can tell us what is happening as far as neural stimulation it can not tell us what is happening with the tissue itself, IE strain, stress.

The exercise that is best for anyone is one that can be used chronically and comfortably but still activates the muscle you are trying to hit.

Back