Best Rowing Motions

• Thread starter imported_delphi23
  • Start date
I

imported_delphi23

I would like to know what some opinions are concerning rowing motions. What are the best rowing exercises for building mass? I realize that alot of this may be prefference but are there some exercises that are clearly better like squats are for building leg mass? I know that bent over rows always seem to be recomended but for some reason I just never seem comfortable when doing them. My gym has the incline row machine:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/LVInclineRow.html

and the T-bar row.

Are there advantages or disadvantages to either of these? Are they better or worse than say a Hammer Row machine or Rows using cables?

I'm sure that they all have their merrits but I am trying to gain some more information.

Thanks

What problems do you have with bentover rows? Have you tried it with a barbell or a dumbbell? Some people have an easier time with dumbbell rows, since you are supporting yourself on a bench while you do them. Most people I talk to who hate BB bentover rows it is due to their lower back hurting, which could be from muscle weakness there or from improper form.

As for the machines... I can't really help.

The best pulling (rowing) motions for upper back development are chin ups and pull ups. Everything else is an "also ran."

I feel it in the lower back too. I pay attention to my form but am confused to let the bar go down to the floor or just as low as my fully extended arms. In any case, my gym used to have a t-bar row which I loved and was able to keep super strict form with no pains. They got rid of it for some reason. I had to chose b/w regular bent over rows and the incline rows. I think I am going to go with the incline rows. I know I wont use stabilizer muscles but I can keep strict form and not feel lower back pain. If you have any suggestions on better form w/ bent over rows, I would appreciate it.

I think that chins and pul-ups are the best all round movements for back especially for width but for thickness you certainly want to do some type of bent row either barbell or dumbbell. I personally like the DB rows for the ROM that I can get and I can still crank out a lot of weight.

Mike

It's unanimous: you definitely want to do pull-ups, but I think a rowing movement is also essential. Bent-over rows are excellent, but if they bother your lower back, one-arm rows are just as effective.

My gym has the incline row machine you showed in your post and I've used it extensively as well. I think it's fine--in fact, it was great when I was having low-back troubles--and I like Hammer Strength back equipment as well. However, in your circumstances, I'd probably go with one-arm rows.

Years ago I avoided the b.o. row because of lower back pain. Then I began doing stiff-legged deads, as part of my leg routine...strengthening my lower back made a world of difference, and it no longer hurts to do the rows. Also, I don't bend ALL the way over so that my torso is parallel to the floor...it remains at a 10-20 degree angle, and I maintain that bowl-shaped concavity in my lower back, which also lessens the strain.

Now I just need to do something about these weak forearms that give out on me before my back muscles do! They are always the first to give out, whether I'm doing rows, lat pulls, pull-ups....I'm finding, though, that doing pull-ups on a counterweight machine allows me to get the reps that I need, and the forearms are strengthening....I also do hammer curls or reverse curls once or twice a week.

Back