BF% needed for 6 pack

Franko

Anyone have a ballpark estimate of what kind of BF is necessary to see a six pack?

I have a BF scale but I think thats rubbish since it lists me at about 22%.

I'm 6'2 215 with 34 inch waist and I have a blurry flexed 6 pack.

And I don't have access to calipers (sp?)

I've read people say on various forums that x% bodyfat produces the six pack look. I don't buy that. It may be true for a majority of people, but I think some people natturally carry more or less fat on the belly (genetics) so that % people quote goes out the window.

It's funny that you said "blurry" six pack... I read it "blubbery" six pack which is about how I could describe myself right now!
biggrin.gif

The scale IS rubbish, I have one too and it always overestimates my bodyfat...I think the main reason is that it only reads through the feet and not the hands. I put my hands on it one day (tricky) and it said something like 14-15% which seems much more accurate based on my appearance.

I have heard that below 10% is the critical juncture for defined abs, but as Etothepii pointed out...it is different with different people.

I wouldn't be so quick to ignore the scale readings.  I couldn't believe I was near 20% body fat when I got mine, but it was borne out by calipers and hydrostatic testing.  Some of us carry fat very well and just don't look at all fat, even at +20%.  Based upon my experience, I routinely figure folks underestimate BF levels on this board when looking at someone else's pictures.

HOWEVER, this varies from person to person and the scale may very well be junk for you, as Sci says.  If you want to use it as a regular tool, you need to verify it against calipers and/or hydrostatic testing.  And be aware than many on this board think that anything short of an MRI (or autopsy!) is not very accurate -- it is all just estimates.

Ditto on Sci and Etothepii on what level shows a 6-pack.

I've always wondered how simple electrical resistance on those scales could be expected to "measure" bodyfat? Some people are just 'sweatier' than others...what happens when you wet your feet a bit? Does it read you as a farm hog?

Well, the fact is that it doesn't actually measure BF.  That is why I can agree with Sci that it is junk for some people.  I believe that the manufacturers measure the impedance for a lot of people  to develope correlations between the electrical readings and BF numbers.  If you fall outside of the range of body types they study, it likely won't work for you.  They typically explicitly state that it is no good for bodybuilders (I think that they are referring to sub-10% BF types).  So yeah, it can be useless for a lot of people.  I am just saying not to assume this for yourself until you have tested it.

I think the scale is good as something to measure progress against, considering you`re consistent with when you`re doing the weighing and with your overall level of hydration. If it goes down from 20% to 19% under fairly similar conditions, you did something right, it doesn`t matter if it actually went down from 13% to 14%.

Calipers should be the best thing to use at home, but getting your own measurements accurately is non trivial, at least in the beginning and it would take more time, considering you should take at least 3 measurements per site.

The sports med. program in my school (I'm a math teacher, not a student!) has a hand held electro-thingy... You enter in gender, age, height, weight, choose "normal" or "athlete" and hold on to the handles.

I have no idea how consistant it is, but it has always been within 1.5% of a caliper reading (checked twice- not every time with calipers).

I figue that if I use that thing at the same time of day, after eating and drinking pretty much the same thing, after using the rest room, etc., that in relative terms, it is useful for tracking progress.

12% for a show of upper abs
10% for the "4-pack"
8% for a 6 pack

These figures seem to be pretty consistent with people.

Like colby said, it is generally accepted that you need to be 8% or lower for a good six pack.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 27 2007,16:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">12% for a show of upper abs
10% for the &quot;4-pack&quot;
8% for a 6 pack

These figures seem to be pretty consistent with people.</div>
I agree.

And prepare to look way smaller with your clothes on at 8%

I'm cutting right now. Having lost about 7lbs so far I am really feeling smaller in my clothes. It's kind of surprising. Still think I need to lose about another 14lbs if I am to get a half-decent 6-pack. That'll take me down to about 196lbs. I feel like I have a long way to go and I am not enjoying it.
sad.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 27 2007,20:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm cutting right now. Having lost about 7lbs so far I am really feeling smaller in my clothes. It's kind of surprising. Still think I need to lose about another 14lbs if I am to get a half-decent 6-pack. That'll take me down to about 196lbs. I feel like I have a long way to go and I am not enjoying it.
sad.gif
</div>
Unfortunately, I am on another cut. I am hoping this one can be very successful whereas I can finally be at ease and go on a slow bulk afterwards.

I 'cut up' last March and was in my leanest ever condition with a well defined 6 pack and obliques, plus very vascular.

My scales had my BF at 20%. I then got myself measured with calipers by a personal trainer at my gym. He took measurements from something like 8 different spots and my BF came out at 5.5%!!

Needless to say, i don't put much faith in my scales...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And prepare to look way smaller with your clothes on at 8% </div>
True, unfortunately.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 27 2007,16:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">12% for a show of upper abs
10% for the &quot;4-pack&quot;
8% for a 6 pack

These figures seem to be pretty consistent with people.</div>
Although I don´t have numbers, I have to agree as I continue to drop weight, my abs are rearing their heads from the top down. My upper abs are clear as day, the middle 2 are less so and the bottom 2 are still buried but not for long.

Back