Biceps

Bren86

Hi well before I started the gym I used to just lift dumbells in my bedroom. I used to like use really light weights and do  300 reps on each arm and I used to use heavier weights and did 10 reps. I used to do it everyday morning and night. Not always doin the 500 reps but I did always lift them light weights and did atleast 100 reps on each arm.
When I started gym I never really just went and did what ever. I always followed a routine. Now my body has caught up with my biceps and my biceps dont seem to have got any bigger. My triceps have gotten bigger though.
I've done 3 cycles of hst and my body has changed so I'm happy with doing hst and will carry on doing it. But I'm just concerned about my biceps.
I read on this site for calfs its good to do high volume of sets. I was thinking maybe to start doing a high volume of sets for my biceps and triceps. Like maybe atleast 4 sets.
What do you guys think.

find your maxes and just remember to SD. that is crucial for more growth in anything. Maybe you've been hitting it so hard that you need to SD for a longer time maybe 14-20 days, im not sure. The only thing i can think of is that your biceps are very well adapted to weights and junk so you just need to SD longer. Try to get an expert to clarify that :)

pzhang

Hi thanks but I stopped wreight training at hope for about 6 months because I hurt my back. So theres 6 months SD there. Then I used to do normaly 3 day split routines and before hst I wasnt at the gym for 2 months. Then after each cycle of hst I have atleast 2 weeks off. The last sd was 3 weeks. I havnt been to the gym now for 5 weeks. So I dont no I dont think my sd is a problem.

What does your routine look like?

You could try some incline bicep curls with pulses, static holds, etc.

I use Barbell Curl but with the bent bar for biceps and tri pushdowns for triceps. Whats pulses and static holds.

I dont do incline bicep curls because with dumbles its hard to add on the weight like I mean with barbel curls I can add 2kg on each side of the bar on each workout.

But before I was doing hst slightly rong I was going way under 50% of my rep maxes so now the weights will be 50% of my reps maxes and higher.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren86 @ June 09 2005,7:00)]I was thinking maybe to start doing a high volume of sets for my biceps and triceps. Like maybe atleast 4 sets.
What do you guys think.
Just be aware that going with excessive volume on arms is not all that smart depending on how your routine looks. Excessive bicep volume when also doing Rows or any pulling movement will have an effect on the pulling movement.

You might consider keep the curling to 1 or 2 sets but on off days doing another 2 sets on the curls. This way you don't jeopardize your back workouts.

The bicep is a small muscle. Your triceps makes up 2/3 of your arm size. You are better off to focus on your triceps to gain overall arm size. IMO there is too much emphasis on bicep development. You get better bang for your buck by working on your tris.

Triceps also look cooler than biceps when you have several heads to flex ;-)

Calves and biceps are made up of differing types of muscle fibers and what works for one typically will not work for the other. Also, biceps are a much smaller muscle than the calves. They also are about the easiest muscle to tear while working out. Too much is not a good thing with biceps. A bicep tear rarely heals 100%.

Thanks for filling me in on that. I think I will carry on as I was before but using weights no lower than 50% of my rep max because before the weights was sometimes probibly to light for them to grow. I'm talking like 2kg on each side of the bar.

Back