Bulking one week and cutting the next

The Journey Man

Hi

I've been following the site for a while and have been gained an enormous amount of knowledge from Bryan and all the posters here

Currently I am cutting and getting pretty good results thus far but I find I'm losing too much muscle in the process despite following HST

I was wondering if one could try to bulk one week and then cut the next.

For example, I could eat a 500 caloric deficit in the first week of a 10s block and then 1000 caloric excess in the second week block.

This way, I can hopefully gain some muscle and lose some bf without noticeably getting fatter or noticeably losing too much muscle. I do understand however this way could take much longer than if i were to independently focus on one of the two

Any experiences of this or any input on this method would be appreciated

The Journey Man

Bad idea. Eating a 1000 calorie excess for an entire week after cutting for a week will lead to fat gain. You need to have some time at maintenance between cycles of cutting or bulking. A more sane approach would be to take a block of ten weeks, cut for the first three weeks, spend two weeks at maintenance, bulk for three weeks then spend two more weeks at maintenance before starting over.

Keep in mind that doing bulks and cuts this frequently will probably compromise your gains. As long as you don't go all out during your bulks, keep the calorie excess reasonable and you don't have any problems with partitioning, you should be able to just do two or three HST cycles where you bulk, then spend one or two cycles cutting down. As you would assume from the comments above, you'll want to spend at least a couple weeks at maintenance after your cutting cycle.

If you are losing tons of muscle, you are probably eating too little. Just eat around 10-12 times your bodyweight (in pounds) worth of calories, starting at the higher end, and keep lifting three times a week while doing cardio on your off days. You shouldn't lose tons of muscle doing it this way.

Back