Bullseye aims for bullseye

bullseye

Hello everyone!

This is bullseye's training and diet-log. It has been three or four years since I last used HST-principles and NHE-diet, but now it's time to get back on track! I've trained on and off since I was 19 years old and now I've reached the noble age of 29 (bah!). The last years I've been pretty sloppy with my training and diet.

Sloppy training and diet = sloppy and weak body

Well now it's time for some change! My goal is to get lean and maintain or add some muscle.

I've just finished one HST-cycle. I used 13 exercises on that cycle which was far too many for me and time consuming. I've changed my workout for my second cycle by reducing the number of exercises per workout. Simple and compound is the key this time. This weekend and next week will be SD for me, and the week after that my new cycle begins.

Below I will explain my HST-workout, NHE-diet and stats.

HST:

Alternating between A and B.
Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A...etc etc.
15s: 1 set || 10s: 2set || 5s: 3set

A: B:
Weighted Chins Cable Seated Row Close grip
Benchpress Weighted Dips
Squats Straight-back Straight-leg Deadlift

Always do:
Standing Barbell Military Press
Abs Machine
Standing Calf Raise

NHE-diet:

Monday-tuesday: 30-60 grams active carbohydrate/day
Wednesday: Carb-load
Thursday-Saturday: 30-60 grams active carbohydrate/day
Sunday: Carb-load

My stats:

Weight: 71.8kg
Height: 177 ~ 178cm
Bodyfat: 19.3 %
Chest: 96cm
Waist: 81.5cm
Bottom: 96.6cm
Neck: 36cm
Upper-arm: 30.7cm
Forearm: 25.4cm
Thigh: 49cm
Calf: 34.5cm

Supplements:

*PeptiPower Whey protein chocolate
*Solaray Spektro Multivitamin
*C-500 Complex Vitamin C

Yesterday was my first day of seven where I'm keeping carbs below 20 grams/day to make my metabolic shift. After that initial period my metabolism will change from a reliance on glucose for energy to a reliance on fat. So next monday I can start my macronutrient cycling.

After this first day I feel pretty good. Some small cravings for sugar of course, but nothing else. Lean meat and a lot of water will take care of that.

I expect today and tomorrow to be more difficult since my body's glycogen store is decreasing and it might take a day or two for my body to adapt to use fat instead of 'sugar' as a primary fuel. After that it's a walk in the park.

I'm glad this first week is combined with my SD
smile.gif

Interesting plan bullseye. How many carbs will you be consuming on a carb-load day?

On the carb-load days I will stay below 30 carbs until my last two meals of the day. On the last two meals I will "pig-out" totally to refuel my glycogen stores. So there's really no set limit on how much carbs. I just try to keep carbs as starchy as possible and lower my protein and fat below 20 grams/meal(second-to-last and last meals of the day).

NHE stands for Natural Hormonal Enhancement. It's a diet aiming for optimal health rather than just fat-reducing and musclebuilding...even though those effects are something that follows. It maximizes fatloss while preserving or enhancing musclemass in contrast to conventional reducing diets which adversely alter hormon levels (increasing catabolic/anabolic ratio), cause muscleloss and reduce metabolic rate.

It's mainly macronutrient cycling harnessing your natural hormones. Fat stays more or less the same while protein and carbohydrate are inversely cycled such that protein intake is high (as a percentage of total caloric intake) when carbohydrate intake is low, and vice versa.

The carbohydrate-"limits" I've mentioned in my above posts are active carbs which is total carbohydrate - dietary fiber. So it's not that "hardcore-low" as it seems at first glance.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's mainly macronutrient cycling harnessing your natural hormones. Fat stays more or less the same while protein and carbohydrate are inversely cycled such that protein intake is high (as a percentage of total caloric intake) when carbohydrate intake is low, and vice versa.</div>

This is contrary to the hormone control effect of a balance of protein and carbohydrates prescribed by Dr. Barry Sears in his isocaloric Zone diet.

Barry promotes a 40-30-30-scheme. A &quot;magic&quot; formula. It's not that different from a &quot;normal&quot; diet. He just lowered the carbs a bit. Not as much as many other lowcarb-diets, but lower than what most traditional diets.
A middle way. In his book he compares his diet with three other diets. For example the american diabetes association 60-20-20.

The zone diet is not a macronutrient cycling diet if I remember correctly?

<div>
(bullseye @ Apr. 29 2008,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Barry promotes a 40-30-30-scheme. A &quot;magic&quot; formula. It's not that different from a &quot;normal&quot; diet. He just lowered the carbs a bit. Not as much as many other lowcarb-diets, but lower than what most traditional diets.
A middle way. In his book he compares his diet with three other diets. For example the american diabetes association 60-20-20.

The zone diet is not a macronutrient cycling diet if I remember correctly?</div>
Actually, there is no magic formula per say to Barry's diet recommendations. He does advocate keeping a balance between protein and carbohydrates at every meal. He is a proponent of low-GI carbs (of course) whereas they are mostly vegetables and fruits.

The balance of Protein and Carbs helps regulate insulin levels and eicosanoids. I cannot cite the research alone; I would have to be home to grab my book.

He tells his readers to follow the rule of thirds. Divide your plate into thirds. Two thirds of it should be filled with vegetables, one third should be lean protein and all of it should be topped off with some healthy fats such as a tablespoon or two of EVOO. The general rule is to have a little bit more carbs than protein, but this rule is bended for the athlete or bb'er to include more protein and actually have a balance between protein and carbs.

There is no cycling of macro-nutrients.

Thank you for your input Colby. I have the book myself, but it was a couple of years since I read it. Have you tried his principles. Any success?

It's the end of day two and my craving for some sugary stuff is increasing. I've felt pretty tired too. Longing for day 4 or 5 where energy levels will be back. At least it bounced back the last time I did this.

Next week is going to be great. My carbs will up a bit during my downcycle and then on wednesday I'll get crazy on the carb-load
tounge.gif

<div>
(bullseye @ Apr. 29 2008,4:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's the end of day two and my craving for some sugary stuff is increasing. I've felt pretty tired too. Longing for day 4 or 5 where energy levels will be back. At least it bounced back the last time I did this.

Next week is going to be great. My carbs will up a bit during my downcycle and then on wednesday I'll get crazy on the carb-load  
tounge.gif
</div>
Milk and cookies don't count...

Carbs won't hurt if no one sees you eat them...
wink.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Apr. 30 2008,9:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Milk and cookies don't count...

Carbs won't hurt if no one sees you eat them...
wink.gif
</div>
Hahaha! That might be the case. Maybe I should try that blindfolded
biggrin.gif

End of day 3! 4 more to go before my metabolic shift is complete. Pretty weak today too. I expect my energylevels to return to normal tomorrow or on friday.
Until then I have to fight through this. No pain no gain!
laugh.gif

Day 4 is over and I'm feeling stronger. It's been a tough day since I've been at work from eight in the morning to nine in he evening. All my food had to be planned in advance. But I made it and I'm looking forward to day 5!

<div>
(bullseye @ Apr. 29 2008,4:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thank you for your input Colby. I have the book myself, but it was a couple of years since I read it. Have you tried his principles. Any success?</div>
I just got off an IF protocol diet, and I am attempting the Zone scheme again. I did it for three weeks before I started cutting (I felt cutting and the zone couldn't go hand in hand with having a high protein intake). However, I have slowly taken a lot of heavy carbs out of my diet and replaced them with vegetables and fruit, so I guess now is the time to try his diet again.

Day 5 and 6 is now to an end! One more day to complete my metabolic shift. On monday I will up my carbs to 30-60 active carbs and introduce a lot of foods I have refused this first week.

Pretty proud of myself for doing this so diligently. Hope to keep this up and I think it will bring great results when I combine it with HST next week or the one after next week. (Might SD for one more week)

The last day of my &quot;7 day metabolic shift&quot; is soon just a memory. And what a day! I made a very tasty lowcarb dinner that I guess will become one of my favourites.

Here it goes:

Chickenfillet
Fresh spinash
Cheese
Cottage cheese
Canola oil

Cooking:

Cut up the chickenfillet and put it in a pan and add canola oil, salt, pepper and some paprika powder. Let the fillets brown and then put them on a plate.
Add more canola oil in the fryingpan and add the chopped spinash. Let it fry and then add the chicken. Finish by adding cottage cheese, cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. Bon appetite!

That's a start and from there it could be tweaked to perfection.  
cool.gif

My first day of macronutrient cycling. Today I introduced new foods to my eating plan that I've refused the first &quot;hardcore&quot; week.

I'm pretty tired of salmon, broccoli and cauliflower so the new foods rocks!
smile.gif

Proteinshake with added olive oil and a piece of apple
Home made meatballs containing meat, egg , chopped onion and garlic. All kinds of vegetables and fetacheese. Walnuts and pumkinseed.
Peanutbutter and a peice of apple
...and so forth

Bought three cans of pastasauce today. I'm already pumped for wednesdays carb-load
cool.gif

Back