Calories Burned in Full Body Workouts

FireFighter

One of my co-workers and I have a debate. How many calories are burnt doing a full body workout. We are both currently doing the Bill Starr 5x5 workout.

He believe you burn about 1000 calories from one workout, I think that's a bit high.

Any ideas on where I'd be able to find a calculator or information to see who is right?

Thanks

You could probably burn up 1000 calories on a 5 X 5 if you include isolation work like I normally do. I dont think that the advanced program as laid out would reach that.

I recall from some old reading that you can burn as much as 800 calories an hour during heavy lifting but dont quote me on that. The basic 5 X 5 layout lasts about 40 minutes. So if that 800 calorie number is close then maybe 600 calories would be realistic? Maybe somebody has some real numbers. My 5 X 5 takes me about 90 minutes with 90 second rest intervals.

I normally try for a 1.5 - 2 pound gain per week on the 5 X 5 using a surplus of 1000 calories above my calculated maintenance level. I am rethinking this now that I am trying to be more bodybuilder than powerlifter in my old age.

I will try a 500 caloie surplus and tune from there on my next 5 X 5. Targetting .5 - 1 pound gain per week. Less fat gained I am sure.

I kinda doubt you are burning that much energy. That hour probably means actual TUT, meaning rest periods are not included.

I agree with the TUT statement. You have to be careful with the numbers and know what they mean. Weight should be included as a parameter.

I am pretty sure that heavy weight training, unlike SS cardio, will burn quite a few calories/raise maintenance requirements above baseline AFTER the work out.

Lyle quoted a study on his forum where a simple 15 set routine or so was still burning away 1-2 days after WO, something like 700 calories.

So you never know.

All those contractile elements ractheting back and forth use ATP, the SR pumping requires ATP, mitochondrial respiration requires ATP, substrate transfer and clearance requires ATP, protein unfolding, clearance, and rebuilding requires ATP, so it all adds up way beyond just the work produced during the lifts. IMOO when looking at energy expediture you must include all post wo recovery as well so the 1000-1550 kcal doesn't seem off at all and in fact the energy requirements may be elevated even further beyond 24 hours.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Oct. 08 2008,10:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All those contractile elements ractheting back and forth use ATP, the SR pumping requires ATP, mitochondrial respiration requires ATP, substrate transfer and clearance requires ATP, protein unfolding, clearance, and rebuilding requires ATP,  so it all adds up way beyond just the work produced during the lifts. IMOO when looking at energy expediture you must include all post wo recovery as well so the 1000-1550 kcal doesn't seem off at all and in fact the energy requirements may be elevated even further beyond 24 hours.</div>
Dan,

What is the best method to producing a long-lasting energy expenditure after a workout?

Is it cardio or lifting - and how?

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 08 2008,11:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan,

What is the best method to producing a long-lasting energy expenditure after a workout?

Is it cardio or lifting - and how?</div>
Good question.

Most of the EPOC studies IMOO are crap so what I would say is whatever gets you breathing the heaviest for the longest, without causing a coronary of course.

There seems to be a correlation between energy spent and time which is why when you look at these BS EPOC studies they show that 40-60% VO2max for hours and 20 minutes of cyclic HIIT (80-90% VO2max) are about equal
rock.gif

Where lifting is concerned it doesn't really provide for a huge EPOC but most studies haven't, to my knowledge, looked at everything involved and seem to only look at oxygen consumption within a brief window of time. They exclude all the other goodies that lifting does for liberating and utilizing energy over a broader range of time.

Back