Can I train longer than 45min a day?

Rulh

Many bodybuilders believe that you should not train over 45min a day because beyond that point the body begins burning a lot of muscle for energy rather than fat. Is this true?

I train for an hour a day with weights (I do 1 set for each muscle group every 2 days but do a lot of exercises). I would like to fit in some cardio but would this be catabolic? Can you tell me how much cardio would be ok, if at all?

well Id be interested to wait for someone elses reply but I am impatient.

I have a max 90 min training seshion(the reason for this is cause I cause I am doing comfortable weight high rep with my excercise I can afford to add twice as many excercises to increase my intensity, dosent mean I train for 90 mins, but at the 45 min mark, I take a creatine stack full of carbs to bolster my atp stores.

I try and improve on my time no matter what, but I never go over 90 mins.

and I havent really had any problems with catabolism.
my form is perfect and my shape is just as good.

you shouldnt go into catabolsm anyway as long as you keep giving the muscle all the ingredients it needs to keep going, thats just my view anyway, I could be horribly wrong.

I don't think you're wrong. If over 45 min. workouts are catabolic for us, then most of us are in deep doggy-doo. I go up to 1-1/2 hours on a big day myself. I've read that the most anabolic state is about 50 minutes and then declines from there, but it doesn't just shift into catabolism like flipping a switch. I believe I could find that study if I looked.

If your that worried about 'catabolic' situation occuring during training, drink a protein/carbohydrate beverage before nad during training. otherwise dont worry about any of it.

<div>
(Rulh @ Jul. 28 2006,22:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Many bodybuilders believe that you should not train over 45min a day because beyond that point the body begins burning a lot of muscle for energy rather than fat.  Is this true?

I train for an hour a day with weights (I do 1 set for each muscle group every 2 days but do a lot of exercises).  I would like to fit in some cardio but would this be catabolic?  Can you tell me how much cardio would be ok, if at all?</div>
I missed the cardio question in the original post. I've seen it recommended a lot lately NOT to do the cardio right AFTER your workout due to catabolic effect. Even with a protein load, extending another hour supposedly is catabolic.
What I'd like to know is, if you really did a decent workout, just how in the heck do you have enough 'stuff' left to DO cardio? I couldn't even if I wanted to, and I never could when I was younger, either. Even with HST, I'm pretty blown out by the end of my hour plus.
I don't have the science for this, but it seems that doing cardio after a workout is sending two different signals to the muscles as well. Better to prioritize and do them separately. That one is just my opinion.

I know that I don't have the energy to do cardio after lifting. I could in the 15s, I guess. If I were cutting, or were obese, I could see lifting light weight, high rep, then cardio.

I'm happy doing cardio on non lifting days. That way, I can eat about whatever I want every day!
wink.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 29 2006,06:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Rulh @ Jul. 28 2006,22:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Many bodybuilders believe that you should not train over 45min a day because beyond that point the body begins burning a lot of muscle for energy rather than fat. Is this true?

I train for an hour a day with weights (I do 1 set for each muscle group every 2 days but do a lot of exercises). I would like to fit in some cardio but would this be catabolic? Can you tell me how much cardio would be ok, if at all?</div>
I missed the cardio question in the original post. I've seen it recommended a lot lately NOT to do the cardio right AFTER your workout due to catabolic effect. Even with a protein load, extending another hour supposedly is catabolic.
What I'd like to know is, if you really did a decent workout, just how in the heck do you have enough 'stuff' left to DO cardio? I couldn't even if I wanted to, and I never could when I was younger, either. Even with HST, I'm pretty blown out by the end of my hour plus.
I don't have the science for this, but it seems that doing cardio after a workout is sending two different signals to the muscles as well. Better to prioritize and do them separately. That one is just my opinion.</div>
Cardio after a workout (when you're most drained), along with just waking up and not eating, are the best times to loose fat. Well, if you're on a good diet. If you don't get enough protien, creatine, glutamine and EFA's then your muscles will suffer.

As for training time, I too also train anything from 45m to 90m at very tops. I can't even remember the last time I trained for more than 70 minutes to be honest.

My leg days are usualy my longest days, and my arm days are the shortest.

Just remember, it's not how much time you spend there, it's what you do with the time there, and making it count.

Can you train longer than 1 hour....YeS

But why would you want too?

I personally feel 45 mins is plenty.

Push yourself to rest only 1 minute..

Do more compounds.

Cut your exercises down.

STand back and watch yourself grow!

Building muscle is easier than you think...you dont need 100 exercise...you only need 4.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Many bodybuilders believe that you should not train over 45min a day because beyond that point the body begins burning a lot of muscle for energy rather than fat. Is this true?</div>
There's hardly an accurate time to point when you start becoming catabolic. Depends on when and what you last ate, how carbed up you are, how much amino acids are swimming around your system, how much are &quot;slow&quot; and how much are the &quot;fast&quot; proteins, the exercises you do, how heavy, how many sets, how long are the rest periods... I personally don't want to compute for it.

Simple answer: don't sweat it.

If you eat well regularly, you take a Pre WO drink, and take a Post WO drink too, then it's rather pointless to worry about it, unless it takes you 3 hours to lift weights in the gym non-stop.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I train for an hour a day with weights (I do 1 set for each muscle group every 2 days but do a lot of exercises). I would like to fit in some cardio but would this be catabolic? Can you tell me how much cardio would be ok, if at all?</div>
If you have a refeed before you do cardio (take a protein shake) then you'll be ok. Should there be carbs? Sure. Protein is always more anabolic with carbs, anyway. Suit yourself. This will be handy especially if you can't go to the gym on your non-lifting days for some reason.

Regards,
-JV

Hijack! HolyBananasBatman! If a recommended cardio is to do it on an empty stomach in the morning (very catabolic, no?) before feeding yourself...you see where this is going? Is there evidently one cardio for weightloss, regardless of what that 'weight' consists of, and another just for cardiovascular fitness, and another that magically shreds fat but retains muscle?
It gets a little confusing, me being one of the cardio hating bulk freaks.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If a recommended cardio is to do it on an empty stomach in the morning (very catabolic, no?) before feeding yourself...you see where this is going?</div>
That's for cutting, doesn't apply in cardio after WO if bulking cycle.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Is there evidently one cardio for weightloss, regardless of what that 'weight' consists of, and another just for cardiovascular fitness</div>
Naturally.
In the first, your goal is to lose weight, more fat than muscle (you can't save all muscle, unless your p:ratio is metahuman).
In the second, you don't want to lose anything at all, so you are well fed while you cardio (meaning before and after it, not literally 'while' you are running).

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> and another that magically shreds fat but retains muscle?</div>
No such thing.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It gets a little confusing, me being one of the cardio hating bulk freaks.
</div>
Then only do cardio if you want to cut and you aren't interested so much in improving stamina.

I'll be making a decision based on how I feel these next few weeks. Just had the heart ablation procedure done, and I'm not used to having it beat normally when pushing myself. I was so used to it messed up, it feels weird NOW!
I'm supposing that since all my cardio machines had a coat of dust on them, now that I CAN do cardio (or did well at it last Sat.), I may find time and evergy to use it for both purposes.
I do know that better cardio fitness results in better lifting, but this gut is offending me most.

Training beyond 45 mins per session has been known to cause AIDS.  

Nah, seriously, I'm one of 'those bbers' who doesn't believe in training beyond 45-60 mins.  Actually, I can tell when my intensity starts to fade and it feels like I'm just there to 'complete my program'.  When that happens, I'll look up at the clock, and just about every single time it will show I've been working out for about 50 minutes.   However, I don't see anything wrong with cardio after you workout, as long as it won't make you go beyond 3 hours without eating.

Why don't you try this: Instead of paying attention to any kind of stringent rule, just look up at the clock after you feel like you've lost a significant amount of intensity, and see how long you've been there.

after much trial and error/tweaking I end up around 55 minutes for weight lifting.
I´m all about 5 x 5.
Mon.Squat, Incline Bench, Bent Row (dips, pullups, crunches with body weight)
Tues. Squat,Standing Press, Deads
Friday. same as monday

My cardio would make most of you vomit in a catabolic frenzy- 3-6 hours ( between 95 and 1750km bike rides at 75% max heart rate) 3- 4x  a week
wow.gif

plus once a week 60-80 laps in a 50m olympic pool
wow.gif

Sounds intense. My squats often make me want to vomit, as well as my deadlifts. It's a fantastic feeling to know you've pushed yourself that much.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Aug. 01 2006,17:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My cardio would make most of you vomit in a catabolic frenzy- 3-6 hours ( between 95 and 1750km bike rides at 75% max heart rate) 3- 4x  a week
wow.gif

wow.gif
</div>
WHY ?

I'd lose 100 lbs of muscle doing something like that. You must be a cyclist, or maybe a triathlete ?

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Aug. 01 2006,17:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">after much trial and error/tweaking I end up around 55 minutes for weight lifting.
I´m all about 5 x 5.
Mon.Squat, Incline Bench, Bent Row (dips, pullups, crunches with body weight)
Tues. Squat,Standing Press, Deads
Friday. same as monday

My cardio would make most of you vomit in a catabolic frenzy- 3-6 hours ( between 95 and 1750km bike rides at 75% max heart rate) 3- 4x  a week
wow.gif

wow.gif
</div>
and legs the size of camels!!!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(stevejones @ Aug. 01 2006,19:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">WHY ?

I'd lose 100 lbs of muscle doing something like that.  You must be a cyclist</div>
Because I am a Mountain bike cyclist. I have managed not to lose that much muscle. actually, it helps to be rather musclular when going up and down big mountains. The few falls I have had would have been much worse if I wasn´t packing muscle, the feather weights would snap in halöf and I would never want to be like those 65 kg birds on the tour de france.

There is somethiing Ominous about a big lean dude ( or women) tearing ass up a big hill then thundering down. Anyway, the featherboys might get up the hill faster than me, but I make up for it on the down hill!!!!!!!!

My honest opinion?

Stick to 1 hour maximum for the workout, in other words use only the most effective exercises, do not waste time and energy.
wow.gif

Cardio is good on off days, that kinda gives you the best of both worlds (loose excess fat) unless of course you are on the 5 - 8% body fat category, then why do much cardio, I believe HIIT or Tabata works best - again my motto sticks - most effcetive with theleat time wasted.

I side with quadancer, long cardio sessions suck - big time
laugh.gif

Back