Cutting with HST

Intermittent fasting worked REALLY well for me... I went from 220lbs down to about 205lbs. During that diet phase, I managed to keep arm growth happening. I still want to lose a few more pounds and have been looking at this method;

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/time-restricted-plus-diet

This is what I am following now and so far so good. I know T Nation is not the be all and end all, but I still enjoy their out of the box thinking on some things.

Intermittent fasting worked REALLY well for me... I went from 220lbs down to about 205lbs. During that diet phase, I managed to keep arm growth happening. I still want to lose a few more pounds and have been looking at this method;

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/time-restricted-plus-diet

This is what I am following now and so far so good. I know T Nation is not the be all and end all, but I still enjoy their out of the box thinking on some things.
Are you using Mag-10 or normal protein?

Hi Mick.

I probably could drop a set of BP. But I only do 3 when in 5's. Anything other than 5's and it's 1 to 2 exercises. I don't feel like i'm over doing it with what I'm doing.

When I'm in a gaining phase I will do 2 sets of deads. I also use a different protocol on deads and squats. I just stick with the 5 reps but I still cut the weight after an sd. I then build up to my 5 rep max quicker and try and push for new ones through out the remainder of the cycle.

The biorhythm still seems to be working. I weighed 190 lbs last night in jeans and 189lbs in jeans this morning. I wasn't very strict last weekend either due to mothers day but still seem to be losing.

Are you using Mag-10 or normal protein?

Nah, I am very cautious of supplements... I don't know much about the Mag-10. I would need to research it to determine whether it is a gimmick or not.

I only take a natural whey (no artificial anything), creatine (sometimes), BCAA's and L-Carnosine. I also have a supplement regimen I take each day for general health and that is all.

I have researched a lot of supplements and usually look for the pubmed papers etc.

I feel that the T-Nation diet protocol is pretty solid in my opinion.

Hi Mick.

I probably could drop a set of BP. But I only do 3 when in 5's. Anything other than 5's and it's 1 to 2 exercises. I don't feel like i'm over doing it with what I'm doing.

When I'm in a gaining phase I will do 2 sets of deads. I also use a different protocol on deads and squats. I just stick with the 5 reps but I still cut the weight after an sd. I then build up to my 5 rep max quicker and try and push for new ones through out the remainder of the cycle.

The biorhythm still seems to be working. I weighed 190 lbs last night in jeans and 189lbs in jeans this morning. I wasn't very strict last weekend either due to mothers day but still seem to be losing.
Lets hope you have found the correct diet for you, as I said Biorythmn allowed me to eat more calories (average was just over 3000 calories per day) without weight gain (and even had to remember to eat) but saying that I now am able to lose weight slowly eating normally at just under 3000 calories per day (body weight x 16) so it could just be coincidence

Last edited:
Same website I got my carb backloading routine... And probably the same author. Lol
I might "plus" my routine with bcaa's pre meals during the day and middle of the night (I wake to pee anyways.)

Is it important to drop your volume on a cut? I realize you'll likely not put any muscle on thru a deficit, but if you can handle normal volume while cutting, is that okay?

Is it important to drop your volume on a cut? I realize you'll likely not put any muscle on thru a deficit, but if you can handle normal volume while cutting, is that okay?

Maintain volume as much as possible. You can cluster to the target rep range if need be.

Have been clustering.... And sometimes "dropsets"to keep volume up when I'm feeling REALLY less than optimum. Deads are killer on a deficit!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html/

"Based on the 2/3rds rule, you could conceivably cut back to 2 heavy sets of 6-8 reps (maintaining the same weights you finished the cycle with to the best of your ability) once per week and maintain your strength and size. That is, both volume (6 sets becomes 2 sets) and frequency (2 workouts becomes 1 workout) can be reduce by 2/3rds but ONLY if intensity (weight on the bar) is maintained."

If you cut volume, frequency or load, take into account that you will be expending less calories. If you don't, you probably will not have a successful cut.

The basic conclusion, again from both research and practical experience is that both volume and frequency of training can usually be cut by up to 2/3rds (that is, to 1/3rd of what you did to improve it) but with one massively important caveat: the intensity of that training must be maintained.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html/

i.e. you can cut 2-3 sets to 1 set, 4-6 sets to 2 sets, etc, cut frequency from 3 times per week to twice per week etc, BUT MAINTAIN the loads.

Weight isn't coming off like I'd like yet, and so doing just 1 set of deads and working out 3 times a week... Some iso work every other off day and cardio on opposite off day.
Most cardio is lower leg work...
Holding deads at 220lbs x 10reps which is my absolute max at current carb intake :S
If I can't do that, I keep same weight and do less reps.
Clustering presses at 25 reps, 2 sets weighted pullup at max Rep, 1 set rows, 1 set weighted crunches, 2 sets weighted dips.
If I'm feeling energetic, a set of leg curls and a set of shrugs.

Hi Charr,

As we discussed a few months before I'm still impressed you won't have muscles while benching 100kg for 10 reps. It points to a projected 300 lbs 1RM, that is a well known milestone for BP. I still don't see how one could reach such a mark without gaining size.

Are you PRETTY SURE your hormonal levels are ok? Difficulties to pack mass and to loose fat are related to hormonal imbalance, especially Insulin and test.

Perfectly acceptable, in fact he *was* gaining size/recomping his fat levels, otherwise he wouldn't have grown stronger in the first place. He just probably wasn't "bulking" the way most folks do.

Hi Leonardo, Rihad.

I'm not sure why Leonardo. I mean with my strength levels I would have expected to be 190lb lean at 6ft but the fact I can probably get down to the 170's shows I don't have the muscle to strength ratio that I should.

I'm pretty positive my hormones are fine. I had them checked twice last year. Last time just before Christmas and everything was fine. I'm in the process of having everything checked again.

Rihad, I was doing a traditional bulk at the time. Gained 18lbs in 4 months but a ton of fat.

On a positive note the biorhythm diet seems to still be working for me. Weight seems to be coming off fast. Weighed 188 pound this morning.

I don't like feeling skinny around my arms though.

Back