Cutting with HST

charr

I have used HST for 3 cycles but it hasn't gone as I expected. I have gained alot of fat in these 4 months.

I plan to run an eight week cut. How should I train when cutting. I have read on here that keeping weight heavy is important but I struggle to maintain 5 rep max training for any length of time as my progress usually reverses. My cycles have been 7 weeks because of this.

Should I just keep repeating my 5 rep block throughout my cut? For example over eight weeks I could repeat my 5 rep block 4 times. Building up to my max 5 each time.

Or can I start from the 10 rep block through to 5's and repeat that twice which will also be 8 weeks? Assuming that starting from 10's isn't too light for cutting.

Thanks

As for the diet recommendations mentioned, I don't fully agree with all of it... But then again, I'm doing a diet plan that many find controversial. But it's working great for me!

As I've always said, the best diet for you is the one you can stick with. That's what is most important. No point in doing some super hardcore diet if you're going to fall off the wagon five days in.

I've dropped to 2200 calories to begin with and added cardio on Tues and Thurs. I haven't dropped any weight yet but may be too early to tell.

Weight loss takes weeks/months. Also, when you are relatively sedentary aside from working out, one cheat day can basically ruin the entire week.

Thats something I wanted to understand more about. If I have a "cheat" day where I don't stick to the macros but I still stick to around 2000 calories. Will I still be losing weight? For example the cheat day will probably be higher fat and carbs and less protein but the calories are the same.

Another question is. If for example 2000 calories a day means I am in a 500 calorie deficit each day (Sunday to Friday) then on Saturday there is an occasion where I a go over board and have say 3000 calories which means I would be 500 calories over maintenance for that day. But really I would still be in a 2500 calorie deficit for that week so does that mean I am still losing weight? Or does going over maintenance 1 day a week some how reverse the weight losing process.

Thanks

Most people think they are more active than they really are and thus over estimate their maintenance.

I've read some interesting stuff with regards to cardio and cutting...
Basically, it's backwards from what everyone thinks. When you're in a restricted diet, and add cardio, sure, you're burning some calories. But as far as metabolism, it might actually give negative results...
Your body sees that you're upping your activity, but it isn't getting enough fuel to keep it up, so your body goes more into its survival mode, and actually slows down your metabolism even more! Thoughts...?

OP: Remember that working out is half the equation, are you eating clean and getting nuff sleep? Other than that, yeah just check the chapter on the e-book about cutting.

Basically, it's backwards from what everyone thinks. When you're in a restricted diet, and add cardio, sure, you're burning some calories. But as far as metabolism, it might actually give negative results...
Your body sees that you're upping your activity, but it isn't getting enough fuel to keep it up, so your body goes more into its survival mode, and actually slows down your metabolism even more! Thoughts...?

This is true, more or less. Cardio is useful for some things but it isn't for losing fat, which is what most people use it for. Create the caloric deficit by eating less

That is why you go slowly with a bulk or a cut and make changes as your maintenance goes up or down. (Easier said than done.)

Off to Montana for 10 days to herd cattle and ride in the mountains. See you around the 14th. :)

Last edited:
Wungun, it's possible. But i'm only doing a little cardio. I'm eating around 2200 - 2300 calories and using cardio to burn an extra 100 cals or so by doing 1.5 mile on the treadmil twice a week with my weight training. Working on my conditioning a little too in the process

Sounds good Char...
I try to get in some HIIT work once or twice a week, but other than than, just walking 25 minutes twice a day.
The walking keeps me "active" and prevents my meta from falling (I'm assuming).
I really feel that I get (and notice) lasting positive fat burning effects from the HIIT... And my sessions are maybe just 15 minutes long.

Please tell that to the starving children in Africa ... they'll be thrilled to hear that exercise and eating less will help them retain weight.

A little dramatic, don't you think? Lmao
Big difference from LITERALLY starving and running a 500cal daily deficit...
Like I said about metabolism, it's going to slow it down... Dieting alone will slow it down... Part of the reason why EVERYBODY struggles to lose those last few pounds... Your body adapts and goes into survival mode, conserving fuel.

Yes, but energy is energy and gets burned for fuel (heat and movement) purposes no matter what.

Nothing dramatic at all - it's a very effective way of making a simple point; you won't stop losing fat in an actual deficit.

Back