Deads, squats and weight "schedules"

Pikehunter

I know this has been gone over a bunch, but one problem I keep running into is what weight "schedule" to use when incorporating leg isolation exercises into my workouts to avoid CNS burnout from deads & squats.

Here's what I mean: I usually set up my 6 workout weights in ascending order (i.e. 185, 190, 195 etc.). If I start with the 185, for example, for squats in Workout 1, then the next workout I will do leg extensions instead. BUT, what weight do I use? That would be the 2nd workout in the "schedule" for leg extensions so what weight should I use? Workout 1's weight? Workout 2's weight?

Also, when I get back to squats in Workout 3, should I jump past Workout 2's weight (which I didn't do because I did leg extensions) and use workout 3's weight in the schedule? Or use Workout 2's weight (which won't get me to the max RM level by the end of the rep period by the way).

This has been driving me nuts because the same is true for deads/leg curls. I understand that CNS burnout is very real, but doing things like this also makes you lose the "progression" in weight upwards that is supposed to be so important.

Would love Bryan's input on this one. Any help much appreciated.

Just don't lay your loads out that way. If you are only doing leg extensions three times during your 5s or 10s, then only use three increments. Ex. if you had your loads for squats laid out as 185, 190, 195, 200, 205, 210 then you would just do 290, 200, 210 or something like that. The important thing is to be progressing, not so much what actual loads you use. Normally I start a lift out at 80% of my RM and just lay out the loads evenly. So 200 lbs as an RM, you start out at 160 and work up to 200. If you are doing that lift three different days in an RM phase, then I would do 160, 180, 200.

Just don't lay your loads out that way. If you are only doing leg extensions three times during your 5s or 10s, then only use three increments. Ex. if you had your loads for squats laid out as 185, 190, 195, 200, 205, 210 then you would just do 290, 200, 210 or something like that. The important thing is to be progressing, not so much what actual loads you use. Normally I start a lift out at 80% of my RM and just lay out the loads evenly. So 200 lbs as an RM, you start out at 160 and work up to 200. If you are doing that lift three different days in an RM phase, then I would do 160, 180, 200.

Thanks Tote. That sounds like a good way to do it. I was just concerned that the progressions had to be more gradual. Just out of curiosity, in your reply you only mentioned the 5 or 10's phases. Was this just for example or is there something different about the way the 15's are done?

Thanks again.

That was just the easiest example. The progression doesn't have to be gradual or anything like that, the main thing that is important is to start with a high enough load for your first load. Anything below 70% probably won't be very effective.

Back