Deads to Squats weight ratio

Lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having just finished my 2nd cycle I have found my new 5RMs for deads and squats.

My squat was 300lb (~136kg) for 5 reps but my deads were 355lb (~161kg) for 5 reps, a 1:1.18 ratio.

Just wondering whether it's usual for deadlift poundages to be higher than for squats? Are my ratios ok or do they indicate that I need to work on one lift more than the other?

I realise that limb lengths and other variables will make a difference to how much a person is able to use in either lift so I'm only after a general idea. I'm 5' 10" and don't have long arms
smile.gif

My deadlift is about 30% higher than my squat. I have good lever attachements for pulling from the floor, but not good for squatting. Long torso, short legs.

Lol,

Deads are almost always higher than squats. In my opinion this is an indicator that Deads may be an over all better mass builder than squats.

What did you deadlift 5 rep max before the cycle and did you include them in your cycle?

I'm the same Hight and weight as you so I'm extra curious
wink.gif

Thanks for all the replies.

Mike: From my first cycle (post 5s) my deads were at 315lbs. I used this for my 5RM this cycle. I included deads from 5s and they went up to 355lbs by the end of the post 5s, by which time I felt as if I was being ripped in half by the third set!
biggrin.gif

I was doing squats followed by SLDLs up to 5s and then I switched to deads alternating with squats and dropped the SLDLs.

Good strength gains this cycle but my calory intake when down the pan due to my work schedule.
sad.gif
Still, I added around 5lbs so I am happy.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 05 2006,15:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for all the replies.

Mike: From my first cycle (post 5s) my deads were at 315lbs. I used this for my 5RM this cycle. I included deads from 5s and they went up to 355lbs by the end of the post 5s, by which time I felt as if I was being ripped in half by the third set!
biggrin.gif

I was doing squats followed by SLDLs up to 5s and then I switched to deads alternating with squats and dropped the SLDLs.

Good strength gains this cycle but my calory intake when down the pan due to my work schedule.
sad.gif
Still, I added around 5lbs so I am happy.</div>
40 LBS in eight wks ! Holy Tamale Batman! that's mighty fine Lol.

I'm shooting for 500 lbs 1rm by January...I got a long way to go. John Christy seems to think it's an attainable

I wonder how I could HST all my other lifts but Jhon Christy the Dead lift...Hmmm. Any advice?

My dead follows the trend and is significantly higher than my squat. The weights I was using were roughly similar to Lols, finished by squatting 285 for 5, and romanian DLing 340 for a few sets of 5. Squat 5rm went up about 40lbs, deadlift weight up about 25ish. I'm not sure how much more I can deadlift than romanian deadlift, but we'll see next cycle.

The problem is that you can employ bad form on deadlifts, if you try the same with squats you get crushed!!!

I started doing full olympic squats the last few weeks of my last cycle (Feb.) so the weight is lower, but climbing fast.

My 5RM for squats is only 340.

My 5RM for deadlifts last cycle was 465, this cycle is going pretty good and I pulled 435x13 on Wed. (last cycle my 10RM was 425). I would estimate my 5RM is probably about 500.

I started doing full olympic squats the last few weeks of my last cycle (Feb.) so the weight is lower, but climbing fast.

My 5RM for squats is only 340.

My 5RM for deadlifts last cycle was 465, this cycle is going pretty good and I pulled 435x13 on Wed. (last cycle my 10RM was 425). I would estimate my 5RM is probably about 500.

Back