Do I need a belt?

GothicSerpent

I've been using 3 rep sets for my deadlifts recently and I realized that maybe I should be using a belt for these heavy sets.  Is a belt necessary when deadlifting or squating heavy?  I've never used one and haven't had any problems with my back (knock on wood) but it popped into my head recently whether it would be wise to get some support from a belt.  What is the consensus on this?

No, it is not necessary... but you can use one if you want. It's a matter of personal preference. I don't use one, but many guys do use them.

the only time I feel a belt is necessary is maxing out on the squat...and not for the back, but for preventing a hernia of the abs. I have one of those retarded bodybuilding belts that is thinner in the front and wider in the back, it sucks because I have to wear it backwards to hold the abdominal wall in...I need to get one of those belts that it is wide all the way around. I don't get much from the belt deadlifting, but I still wear it when maxing out for extra support.

I like to laugh at the morons who wear a belt throughout their entire workout, like it was part of their outfit....
laugh.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 01 2007,16:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like to laugh at the morons who wear a belt throughout their entire workout, like it was part of their outfit....
laugh.gif
</div>
Didn't you see the new Ronnie Coleman interview? His trainers told him to wear his belt all the time, it slims your waistline. That's the secret of how he is going to get rid of his turtle belly so he can return to beat Jay at the next O.

biggrin.gif
Funny.

I agree, don't use a belt, it's not necessary. If you screw up your form, then only a back brace would offer any protection. I'm no stevejones, but I've pulled 500+ without a belt and pull 400+ every week without a belt.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 01 2007,16:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ronnie Coleman interview?  His trainers told him to wear his belt all the time, it slims your waistline.  That's the secret of how he is going to get rid of his turtle belly so he can return to beat Jay at the next O.</div>
Yeah, if he removes a few of those overgrown organs too.

in the past i used a belt for yrs on squat and over head presses. more recently (last 6-7yrs) ive never used a belt for anything. im lifting way more now then i ever did with better form and no real need for a belt.

in hindsight its clear that the belt was just a mental crutch. i wore it b/c everyone wore one to squat and press. if you think you need it to protect your back or abs etc its probably more of a mental need. physically youd be fine without it.

perhaps when you get to serious power lifting wgt (many times over body wgt.) there is a need for a belt but that is beyond my experience level.

good luck

I use a belt only for my heaviest squats and deads as a way to make sure I am set-up right before I lift. I keep my belt done up a notch looser than where I could do it and then, before a lift, I take a deep diaphragmatic breath, tightening my core muscle groups with the result that my belt feels tight.

As blue says, it's really a mental crutch but it does ensure that I am consistent before I attempt each heavy lift. Oh, and of course, I use it to slim my waistline.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary, but I began using one again recently &amp; enjoy it. it does slip a bit on deadlifts, though. maybe a lever-style belt would help w/ that.

Actually, I have to admit... I do use a belt.

For chins and dips, that is. It's a neat belt, with a chain to hang weights from.

Strangely enough, I had to order mine online. I scoured the fitness/sporting goods stores in my area for six months and only found one store that had one. The one they had was like, extra small. Wtf? I thought they only made one size. I'm not very big around, only a 34 inch waist most of the year, and this belt would be been too small for me to hang anything but maybe a 10 lb plate.

So I got one of ebay...

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 04 2007,02:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually, I have to admit...  I do use a belt.

For chins and dips, that is.  It's a neat belt, with a chain to hang weights from.

Strangely enough, I had to order mine online.  I scoured the fitness/sporting goods stores in my area for six months and only found one store that had one.  The one they had was like, extra small.  Wtf?  I thought they only made one size.  I'm not very big around, only a 34 inch waist most of the year, and this belt would be been too small for me to hang anything but maybe a 10 lb plate.

So I got one of ebay...</div>
I am going to have to get one too as my gym still hasn't gotten around to it yet, despite promises to that effect. I am fed up with having to tie weights to my lifting belt each time I do dips.

The chain and spring clip I use make it easy to hang weights from the belt buckle, and setting the weights in a stack on top of my weight tree lets me loop the chain through at waist height. I had more trouble using the professional one at the gym.

Like Tot, I had trouble locating any PL-type equipment, even over the internet! I wanted a singlet, but only knew of it as a unitard, and my searches mostly brought me the bicycle type with pads on the butt (walk around wearing that !) or the dance type that look like yoga people's or ballet stuff. I gave up in favor of baggy jeans and a cutoff flannel shirt.
Some stuff can be found at the Play it Again Sports stores though. I got all my cable handles and such there.

Previously, I was just wrapping a chain with a couple clips around my waist, then hanging the weights from that. Needless to say... that sucked.

I have a dipping belt too. I'd say if you have to just get one belt, that's the more important.

I don't use a regular back belt....I use a dipping belt for chins &amp; dips, tho....but I don't think that's really what you're asking.

About 6 months ago, I was a big proponent of belts, because I felt it added stability to the big lifts. In reality, it made me weaker and more vulnerable to injury because I was able to lift heavier weights than I could have otherwise. In other words, the belt helped compensate for a weaker lower back.

So, I ditched the belt, and spent the last few months gaining strength in the lower back, and now, short of injury, I can't see myself ever using one again.

Also, I think there's a common misnomer about what the back belt was actually designed to do. The back belt was never designed to be a support system, per se. It was merely a method of keeping the lower back muscles warm &amp; loose during exercise, especially those with manual labor jobs who have to hump it for 8-plus hours per day in colder temperatures.

IMHO, using a back belt as a means of added support will do more harm than good in the long run. If you feel you need a belt to do your big lifts (aka, your low back gives way), then I would add some good mornings &amp; hyperextensions to your routine, and work those low back muscles until they feel like two pieces of rebar sticking out of your buttocks!
laugh.gif

Actually, a few of the newer studies are showing that lifting belts are increasing strength in trained athletes. Don't knock them just because everyone else does.

Like any piece of equipment they serve their purpose if used properly with the correct knowledge.

Are you sure? I was unable to find any studies that concluded that lifting belts increase strength. Can you post the references?

yeah, i would like to see that reference as well.
it could be related to what i mentioned initially about them serving a real purpose (other then pyschological) once the wgt lifted got to bwX2 or 3. perhaps that is whats considered &quot;trained athlete&quot;.

actually, i find the &quot;herd mentality&quot; to lean more towards wearing a belt rather then knocking its use.

With regards to the herd, the opinions that I am aware of are anti-belt. I use one, but I am also concentrating on bringing my lower back / core strength up as well. Hedging my bets you could say.

Back