DO U GUYS TAKE GLUTAMINE?

LFROG17

Hey guys, I was wondering if yall supplement with glutamine? In another forum that I go to, they're pretty enthusiastic about the stuff. I dont get the same feeling here tho. Anyways I was just wondering if yall thought it was a waste of money or not..........Hey Brian, what do u know about Terry Giles? He strongly supports the use of glutamine.

Here are the reasons to take glutamine.

1) Immune support. Supplemental use of glutamine, either in oral, enteral, or parenteral form, increases intestinal villous height, stimulates gut mucosal cellular proliferation, and maintains mucosal integrity. It also prevents intestinal hyperpermeability and bacterial translocation, which may be involved in sepsis and the development of multiple organ failure. One study reported that athletes reported fewer incedences of upper respiratory tract infections while supplementing with glutamine (2 grams) after they ran.

2) Gastrointestinal support. 70-80% of orally administered glutamine is absorbed into the cells of your GI tract. It remains there and is metabolised by those cells without ever reaching the blood stream (see second image). In sicknesses such as sepsis it has been shown to help improve survival because of improved GI tract function.

Thats pretty much it.

There is no real benefit for someone looking to build bigger muscles. That 10% of dietary glutamine that gets past the GI tract is taken up by the liver where it is converted into sugar (gluconeogenesis) and stored as glycogen in the liver.

Don't let in-vitro research fool you into thinking oral glutamine will have an effect on a healthy individuals muscle mass. Yes, glutamine does regulate protein synthesis to a certain extent under some situations. However, you can't make it happen by taking it orally. Don't let ads with some pro-bodybuilder holding a bottle of glutamine fool you. Even if that pro-bodybuilder is taking it...it isn't doing anything for him either.

L-glutamine.GIF

4-4-glut-fig2.jpg

Thanks alot Bryan (sorry i mispelled your name earlier
blush.gif
). Looks like Ill be saving my money for something else (your new creatine). I appreciate the quick response.

For what it's worth, I took glutamine diligently for a couple months (like 5-10g daily) and didn't notice any differences in size, strength or soreness.

I seem to get colds every month, since working out... (I'm sure because of the GERMS on the bars etC).. So i'm going to take Glutamine to help me not get resperatory infects
tounge.gif

I've read several times that Glutamine is supposed to aid in muscle recovery and keep soreness to a minimum. After taking it faithfully for 3 mths, (10 gms/day), I gave it up for a bad job. It did absolutely nothing for me...except take my money...again. :mad:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jmchldogg @ April 04 2002,07:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've read several times that Glutamine is supposed to aid in muscle recovery and keep soreness to a minimum.  After taking it faithfully for 3 mths, (10 gms/day), I gave it up for a bad job.  It did absolutely nothing for me...except take my money...again. :mad:[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've read several times that Glutamine is supposed to aid in muscle recovery and keep soreness to a minimum.  After taking it faithfully for 3 mths, (10 gms/day), I gave it up for a bad job.  It did absolutely nothing for me...except take my money...again. :mad:[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hey, now...You have to give glutamine credit where it's due. I, for one, got results. I got the results that it ¤%&amp;/&amp; up the taste of my shakes and made me gag. That's why I gave it to my boss and told him it was good for him to take it a couple of times a day mixed in water.  :D

I like your idea, Lars. However, instead of plain Glutamine mixed with water, I think I'll throw in a real nasty, fast acting laxative(sp?) as well. Instead of just constantly running at the mouth all day, he will be running else where also.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2) Gastrointestinal support. 70-80% of orally administered glutamine is absorbed into the cells of your GI tract. It remains there and is metabolised by those cells without ever reaching the blood stream (see second image). In sicknesses such as sepsis it has been shown to help improve survival because of improved GI tract function.
Thats pretty much it.
There is no real benefit for someone looking to build bigger muscles. That 10% of dietary glutamine that gets past the GI tract is taken up by the liver where it is converted into sugar (gluconeogenesis) and stored as glycogen in the liver.
I can't find any data to confirm this statement, please help
blush.gif

This study talks about 40% uptake of glutamine in the GI:

Rowbottom, D., et.al., The Emerging Role of Glutamine as an Indicator of Exercise Stress and Overtraining, Sports Med, 21(2); pp. 80-97

Here's a take from an article by David Greenwalt that differs from the aforementioned:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In addition to the potential benefits for the immune system and anabolism as a whole with respect to proper glutamine status within the body, one study reported a 4.3 times greater growth hormone (GH) release at 90 minutes postingestion of a glutamine formula containing only 2 grams of glutamine mixed in a soft drink (6). Eight of nine subjects tested responded favorably with respect to increases in GH status. As important was the finding that an oral load of only 2 grams of glutamine significantly elevated plasma glutamine levels indicating that the glutamine, taken by mouth, did reach the periphery (past the gut and into circulation). The authors speculated that larger amounts of glutamine would be expected to raise glutamine levels higher, however, large amounts (unspecified but less than 20 grams) carry the risk of activating liver uptake. Remember, liver is a consumer (after feeding), and a producer (during fasting). If the liver saw too much glutamine upon first pass, a good portion may be consumed by the liver, never allowing it to reach the periphery (muscles). Finally, the researchers indicated that a rise in plasma glutamine would be expected to drive up muscle cellular glutamine content, thereby slowing protein breakdown, a process accelerated under acidonegic conditions (during intense exercise). The rise in GH may also accelerate kidney acid secretion and thereby facilitate elimination of acid from the body fluids, a potentially important role during strenuous exercise when acidogenesis may limit performance (6).

...where (6) is:

6. Welbourne, T., Increased Plasma Bicarbonate and Growth Hormone After an Oral Glutamine Load, Am J Clin Nutr, 61 (1995); pp. 1058-61

That said, I would suggest a try-and-see approach :)

I read somewhere that glutamine was a good anti-catabolic supplement in that it would reduce coritsol levels so is a good supplement to take before bedtime when cortisol levels are at their highest.

Randy

Here's a quote from a Rehan Jalali article posted at thinkmuscle:

L-Glutamine: This is the most abundant free amino acid in muscle tissue. (12) It seems to play a very important role in protein synthesis and is very important to weight-training athletes. Some research suggests that glutamine levels may be a good indicator of overtraining or overreaching. (12) In other words, athletes who were overtrained generally had low levels of glutamine along with high levels of cortisol. One study actually showed that glutamine directly prevents the cortisol-induced degradation of muscle contractile proteins.(13) Some of its positive effects include enhancing protein synthesis; increasing GH levels, which can counteract some of the catabolic effects of cortisol; potent cell-volumizing effects, which can create an anabolic environment in muscle cells; and partially determining the rate of protein turnover in the muscle. An oral glutamine supplement can help athletes prevent some of the symptoms of overtraining. It may also enhance glycogen synthesis through an unknown mechanism. It also helps provide a source of fuel for the small intestine and may enhance anti-inflammatory function. It has been shown to boost immune function. I hope you get the point -Glutamine is a vital nutrient for weight-training athletes.

Pity that in the available research, glutamine offers no advantage over using nothing. Any GH rise is miniscule at best (and considering even exogenous GH in huge doses makes little difference, the little gained by administration of glutamine is of little benifit.)

I used to find that I got colds regularly when working out vigorously. Since taking 5g of glutamine per day, the colds have stopped and I've been able to keep on training. Thats the big benefit for me. Diet was pretty much the same as before, so I guess I'd like to believe the glutamine has made some difference. As always, this is only anecdotal so take it for what its worth. :)

Regards,
Richard.

Now here's a different glutamine question....

For someone who has a 7 month old in daycare (dang germs he brings home) and a significant history of GERD would glutamine be a good idea?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve McDermott @ April 16 2003,11:43)]Now here's a different glutamine question....
For someone who has a 7 month old in daycare (dang germs he brings home) and a significant history of GERD would glutamine be a good idea?
I used to break open capsules of glutamine and stir it into my kids yogurt. It seemed to help them when they got sick(GI problems) from daycare...

I felt like resurrecting this thread with a question...

Glutamine ingested is wasted on your GI tract, but on one container, the recommendation was to absorb it under your tongue. I'm sure this would taste nasty, but could this get it into your bloodstream where it could have some sort of effect on growth?

Dear Insane_Man,

Has the substance been designed for sublingual use? Or is it just plain old glutamine put under the tongue? If this is the case, you'd be swallowing it bit by bit with the flow of saliva and reflex swallowing....

I've yet to hear of a sublingual L-glutamine though :)

Is there a link you can put up that we might see this product?

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

It was just the webber crap they have at Costco, but it says you can dissolve it on your tongue or mix with water. I'm guessing that it's not specifically designed for sublingual use.

Back