Flexibility of Intermittent Fasting

<div>
(nkl @ Mar. 09 2008,21:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for the info, folks! I have two additional questions brewing...
1) Bluejacket, you mentioned using a weekly caloric deficit when doing IF. Shouldn't fat loss be possible also eating at maintenance or above, due to fat loss during fast?
My rationale is that the protein sparing effect keeps the LBM the same during IF. Then eating in abundance after workouts would lead to gains in both fat and LBM. As long as we can balance the loss-gain ratio we can adjust for more fat loss, or more LBM gain over time.
2) There seems to be a concensus on the Internet that the energy content in one pound of fat is 3500 kcal, and 600 kcal/lb for muscle, which would make packing on more LBM an easy task, while loosing fat a nuisance, at least in theory. Of course this is not the whole truth. But to make it somewhat useful, I'm curious as to what the rate-limiting pace for adding LBM is? Do we have an 'scientific' estimate on what growth rate we can expect on a weekly basis, for example doing regular 3-days-a-week HST (the norm - not on the juice - not a teenager or elderly)?</div>
1)The issue being that in studies looking at the refeed period post fasting the subjects ate more but not enough to overcompensate for the negative energy balance from the previous fast period. Those that had the longer fasting period tended to eat more than those with the shorter fasting periods but still did not &quot;overcompensate&quot;. In light of that, what Bluejacket is saying is correct; in essence you will be in a negative energy balance when looking at energy balance over a specified period.

Will eating above maintanence for a period post training improve the immediate post training deposition of protein, well of course it will. Training and feeding have been shown to be additive to the total PS response.

2) To date there are very scant studies looking at what amount of protein accrual occurs post training. In one that I am aware of the researchers mathematically quantified that one subject gained about 26 grams of skeletal muscle during the post workout PS elevation period after 1 workout. Which isn't very much at all.

If you take into account that 1 gm of lean tissue has about 1.6 kcal of metabolizable energy then 1 lb of lean tissue = 727 kcal. In the case of the above, it would take about 18 workouts, all producing this same amount of skeletal muscle, to gain 1 lb. Now since the cost of depostiing protein is about 3 Kcal per gram and some speculate that in order to store 1 gram of protein an additional .5 gram must be synthesized we can say the total cost for depostiing 1 gram of protein is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-11 kcal (cost of sysnthesizing the 1 gram = 3 Kcal + the additional .5 gram = 1.5 Kcal + the cost of the protein itself = 6 Kcal). So again in this case, using the 26 grams of muscle tissue accrued, it cost about 36 kcal to make it. So to gain one pound of muscle it would take about 820 kcal to actually make it. Yet it's metabolizable energy is only about 727 Kcal.

This does not take in account the energy used during the exercise or the daily energy used in maintaining it.

disclaimer: these numbers are based on several pieces of research and not all agree with each so please don't send me a PM or reply with &quot;but I read where X=X&quot; so therefore the cost of one lb of muscle = X.

And in theory then, it would take 18/3 = 6 weeks on HST to gain one lbs of LBM, which seems a little bit low. During one year constant gaining, it amounts to 26gram*3days-a-week*52weeks = 4 kgs (8,9 lbs).

I may be taking the wrong turn here, but if that lean muscle was measured as dry LBM (just pure muscle protein), we are excluding the other wet content, like water, glycogen and such. If protein content in muscle is roughly 15-20% then the wet muscle gain would be approx. 5 times greater, like 20 kg (44 lbs).

The weekly wet LBM gain would ideally then be in the order of 0,4 kg (0,85 lb). Of course this is speculative but I sense its not that far from the truth.

We are not gaining 52 weeks a year, so 20 kgs (44 lbs) might be out of reach... then we have RBE...

Which is why I said <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">one subject gained about 26 grams of skeletal muscle </div> not 26 grams of muscle protein. In essence the protein content of this 26 grams was about 70-80% lower, in the realm of 7-8 grams.

The anabolic potential curve would absolutely make a difference as this shifts leftwards during training. The time that PS elevations are risen diminishes changing the AUC and hence the accumulative amount of synthesis. That's why I said <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">all producing this same amount of skeletal muscle</div>. Now since this study only looked at one body part it is more than feasible to say, if applied to the whole body and all peripheral muscles were able to acheive this same rate of synthesis, gaining a sizable amount of whole body muscle is very possible.

Purely pulling this out of my anus but.......let's say you are able to gain a pound of muscle in 18 workouts in your torso, legs, shoulders and arms thats about 4 to 5 lbs in 6 weeks. Over a year this would equate too ~35-40 lbs. Now anecdotally has this ever been seen? I would venture to say yes it has in a newb or those who are heavily supplemented albeit slightly on the higher side of things. It appears that many are very able to gain 20 lbs + in a year.

Now the question becomes would they acheive this during some sort of dieting, IF, CKD, PSMF or anything else? Not likely in my opinion.

I guessed I was going the wrong way...

Here is another study of LBM gain:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hormonal response to overfeeding
Gilbert B Forbes, Marilyn R Brown, Stephen L Welle, and Louis E Underwood

ABSTRACT We assessed the hormonal status of adult female volunteers before and during a 3-wk period of weight gain induced by mixed diet overfeeding. Forty-six percent of the 4.3-kg average weight gain experienced by these subjects consisted of lean body mass (LBM) and it is of interest that there were also increases in plasma Somatomedin-C/Insulin-like Growth Factor (SM-C/IGF-l) and testosterone concentrations as well as insulin. We suggest that it was the combined anabolic effect of these three hormones that facilitated the increase in LBM. Of the other assays done, increases were recorded for urinary 17-ketosteroids, 17-hydroxysteroids, epinephrine, and creatinine, whereas there were no changes in serum cortisol or thiodothyronine (T3), or urine norepinephrine; serum thyroxine (T4) fell slightly. Thus it appears that energy surfeit as well as energy deficit (reported by others) has an effect on blood hormone concentrations. Am J C/in Nutr 1989;49:608-1 1.
The total excess energy consumed during the overfeeding period ranged from 18 900 to 35 400 kcal.
During the first week of hospitalization the subjects were given a mixed diet (15% of energy from protein, 35-40% from fat, and 45-50% from carbohydrate) in amounts designed to maintain body weight. They were then given an additional 700 kcal/d (2.93 Mi/d) for 2 d, followed by an extra 1200-1600 kcal/d (5.02-6.69 Mi/d) for the next 19 d, which consisted of a total of 21 d of overfeeding. The excess food provided 6% of energy from nonmeat protein, 45-50% from fat, and 45-50% from carbohydrates. Sodium intake was held constant at 170 mmol/d for the entire 28 d. All meals were consumed at the Clinical Research Center.</div>
3 weeks - 4,3 kg average = 1,43 kg/w. And 46% of 1,43 kg is 0,66 kg [1,45 lb]. 0,66 kg/w equals a roughly 94 grams a day. It is possible to gain at least this much simply by overfeeding. From the graph in the study there was a linear gain of both body weight (fat?) and LBM.

BTW Dan, I'm looking forward to get my hands on your to-be-released book about fasting!  
wink.gif

<div>
(nkl @ Mar. 14 2008,17:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">BTW Dan, I'm looking forward to get my hands on your to-be-released book about fasting!</div>
Yeah, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...
laugh.gif

nkl: I just wanted to mention that the study you posted was done on women. Since they partition differently from men (I assume due to their different composition), I'm not so sure the same results would apply to men.

Yes, I'm aware of the difference. But then, women usually have less anabolic potential for muscle growth than men, so if they can grow LBM at 94 grams a day just from overfeeding, how much can a man grow?  
rock.gif
I would not expect it to be any less. Men have a better partitioning ratio, but since this ratio is individual, we can only hope we are on the LBM side. It was mentioned in one study that this ratio can be adjusted during intense bodybuilding (favoring LBM gain), so we are the lucky ones... it think...
wink.gif

Eventually, I found this old thread on muscle gains. Link. Sorry for reinventing the wheel...  
blush.gif

27 lbs (12,3 kg) gain during one year on HST is really nice progress (slow bulk/bulk) for none-novices.

I wonder how the stats have improved over the last year? colby? (old stats) sci? (old stats) matty19? (old stats)

<div>
(nkl @ Mar. 15 2008,19:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Eventually, I found this old thread on muscle gains. Link. Sorry for reinventing the wheel...
blush.gif

27 lbs (12,3 kg) gain during one year on HST is really nice progress (slow bulk/bulk) for none-novices.

I wonder how the stats have improved over the last year? colby? (old stats) sci? (old stats) matty19? (old stats)</div>
I posted in that thread for ya...

+11 lbs LBM from 1/31/07 to 1/31/08

Approximately -2 lbs LBM in the last two months, but bf% has dropped about two points. I will sacrifice one pound of LBM for a whole 1% drop in bf%!

Just a fasting update. Its Monday morning @ 10am, and I have not eaten since Wednesday night. I've been lifting every 3 days, and supplementing with Purple Wraath every few hours (I switched over to Xtend yesterday, since it is considerably cheaper).

Purple Wraath was providing EAA's, and Xtend only provides the BCAA's, which I believe are really the only ones needed during a fast. Taking them every 4-5 hours, along with vitamin C. I've been mixing this in a generic crystal lite from Walmart.

Interestingly, hunger has not been a real issue, I feel fine, have dropped well over 10lbs (will check scale at my gym later), any my arm circumference is the same size.

Still have fat to lose, but the difference in my face and abs is night and day, never lost fat like this in my life, and have been on every low carb diet (on/off dieting, bulking) for 8 years.

<div>
(pete69 @ Mar. 17 2008,09:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Still have fat to lose, but the difference in my face and abs is night and day, never lost fat like this in my life,</div>
Take care to keep your protein up to 1 gram per pound of body weight, or you're gonna lose a lot of muscle along with that fat.
sad.gif

I myself had an involuntary fast (IF) last week. I got an allergic reaction from some nut I ate and become sick to the bone. I couldn't keep any food so I had to wait a couple of days for the illness to subside. Lost 1,8 kg in four days (surely a lot of water I think). But I did not felt defeated, so I dragged myself to the gym today, and guess what, I managed to do the entire rutine except abs - those were still sore from the cramps (and squats gave them enough stim anyways). No loss of strength nor overly fatigued, but hey I'm in the middle of my 10s...  
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

I think I got some smiley-sickness... they seem to appear in almost all my posts.  
laugh.gif

<div>
(pete69 @ Mar. 17 2008,9:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just a fasting update. Its Monday morning @ 10am, and I have not eaten since Wednesday night. I've been lifting every 3 days, and supplementing with Purple Wraath every few hours (I switched over to Xtend yesterday, since it is considerably cheaper).

Purple Wraath was providing EAA's, and Xtend only provides the BCAA's, which I believe are really the only ones needed during a fast. Taking them every 4-5 hours, along with vitamin C. I've been mixing this in a generic crystal lite from Walmart.

Interestingly, hunger has not been a real issue, I feel fine, have dropped well over 10lbs (will check scale at my gym later), any my arm circumference is the same size.

Still have fat to lose, but the difference in my face and abs is night and day, never lost fat like this in my life, and have been on every low carb diet (on/off dieting, bulking) for 8 years.</div>
Are you still doing this or if not what were the end results. If posted somewhere just point me there instead of re-writing it all.

Dan,

I wish you all the best with your new book and we all here should buy it....if for nothing else just b/c of all the FREE advice you have given over the years!
So again good luck with the book!

<div>
(pete69 @ May 02 2008,7:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It wasn't planned ahead of time so i didn't keep strict tabs on things, but I posted all the info that I could in this thread.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31113</div>
Interesting experiment, Pete. Not IF though. More like a LyleMcD-rapid-fat-loss-handbook diet. Good results!  
smile.gif
How has it been going since then?

I read the above mentioned booklet yesterday, and I think that it was a good read. Just do protein (1,5-2g/lbs/day), some omega-3s (6 capsules/day) and veggies for some 10-12 days while training moderately heavy = loose loads of fat while maintaining muscle. Then go off diet, or die...  well, not really, but the diet has health risks if you continue to long... the leaner you are, the shorter time you should do it. For those with a lot of fat to lose, eat at maintenance for 1-2 weeks, then continue doing the crash diet (need to get the metabolism running). 
wow.gif

Back