Foggers first hst cycle , let's see the results!!

First of all I would like to thank Grunt11 for all the help :) I have now read more on the web about myo-reps and your very good explanation aswell and not to mention watching youtube videos on the topic just so I am 100% sure how it works. I have now devised my new exercises for my second HST cycle and I am sure these will be optimal for my personal goals, they are:

Sumo deadlift
Pullups
Dumbbell incline chest press / incline dumbbell flyes
Pushups
Barbell Shoulder press / Dumbbell shoulder press
Barbell shrugs
One arm Side lateral raises/ reverse flyes
Decline sit ups
Decline barbell tricep extensions
Barbell bicep curls

I have decided to get rid of calf raises as I do not have the right machinery or the adequate load to stimulate much muscle hypertrophy for them.Thanks Tunnel rat :) I would love to include a squat of some sort but I don't think it would be safe as I have no barbell rack and I train alone, I do not want to cause myself injury so I will stick to sumo dead lifts as I was just getting better form and stronger lifts I would really like to push myself. I have now bought more weight plates as well as an incline/decline bench which will come very handy. On some exercises I have included different variations of exercise which I will do on different days eg, Mon: dumbbell incline chest press, Wed: incline dumbbell flyes, Fri: dumbbell incline chest press. I want to experiment with other exercises now that I have a bench and see what my weaknesses and strengths are.

I will be doing HST but with 12,8,5,5 instead of the traditional method. I will also be doing myo reps but from what I have read it is better to do it on isolation exercises predominantly. At the moment I am thinking of using Myo reps for these exercises:

Dumbbell incline chest press / incline dumbbell flyes
Barbell Shoulder press / Dumbbell shoulder press
Barbell shrugs
One arm Side lateral raises/ reverse flyes
Decline sit ups
Barbell bicep curls

Doing sumo with the myo rep method might be pushing it a bit so I will have a feel and try and see what I can handle. I will be using this as a guide line for myo reps:

"20-25 reps – 5 reps on Myo-reps series, 2-5 breathing pause – notation 20-25 5 x
15-20 reps – 5 reps on Myo-reps range, 5-10 breath pause – notation 15-20 5 x
12-15 reps – 4 reps on Myo-reps range, 5-10 breath pause – notation 12-15 4 x
9-12 reps – 3 reps on Myo-reps range, 10-15 breaths break – notation 9.12 x 3
6-9 reps – 1 or 2 reps on Myo-reps range, 15-20 breaths break – Notation 6.9 or 2 x 9.6 x"

The 12-15 i will follow in the 2 week hst format first then 9-12 then for 4 weeks I will do 6-9 reps of myo to end my second hst cycle.

On a side note when it comes to barbell exercises I will be using a towel around the bar during lifts to hopefully work my forearms a bit better as I hear this can help without doing and specific forearm exercises.

I will be starting my maxes again on monday so I have a better understanding of all the exercises as well as how I can incorporate myo sets in. with the HST exercises I will be doing 2 sets in my 8's and tiring to do three sets in my 5's to keep volume constant throughout rep ranges as for myo reps I will only be obviously doing one set. I am determine to get bigger and i will work very hard on my reps and using correct form.

Please comment and let me know if there's something you would change or something that can be done differentley as I am still learning and any advice and help would be much appreciated :)

I don’t see any Lat exercises, except Deadlift, which really doesn’t give them a full range of motion. At a minimum I would get rid of the Reverse Flyes and use some sort of bent over row, Supported DB Row is my favorite, done with the head higher than the butt which places the back angling upward. That will not only hit your lats but also your rear deltoid getting rid of the need for reverse flyes while giving you lat work at the same time. Also I would do these every workout not every other one.

I agree I wouldn’t Deadlift using Myo-reps. IMO Max Stim or singles is the way to Deadlift though reps can be helpful I think Myo-reps is just asking for trouble.

Although recovery ability might be your main factor keep in mind that using Myo-reps will speed up your workout compared to traditional sets/reps. You may also find that you recover faster when using Myo-reps since you don’t need to do the same volume to get the same amount of muscle stimulation, but better to start conservative.

Thanks grunt, so would this be a more adequate way to perform my next cycle:
Workout a:
Sumo deadlift
Pullups
Dumbbell incline rows
Dumbbell incline chest press
Pushups
Barbell Shoulder press
Barbell shrugs
One arm Side lateral raises
Decline sit ups
Barbell bicep curls

Workout b:
Sumo deadlift
Pullups
Dumbbell incline rows
incline dumbbell flyes
Pushups
Dumbbell shoulder press
Barbell shrugs
One arm Side lateral raises
Decline sit ups
barbell bicep curls

I think this would be slightly better wouldn't you say so and please note that this will not be entirely the correct order that i will perform these exercises. Deadlifts I will probably do singles and doing myo reps will definitely help in my case as time is very valuable to me and I have very little to spare so doing it right as quickly as I can so I can recover is a high priority. I will also jog/run for like 10-20 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday nights to assist the lower half of my body as I do not want to completely neglect them. Thanks again, your a life saver.

Last edited:
It looks like it will be more productive now. However I’m not sure I would Deadlift 3 times per week. I think you would be better off by either alternating between Deadlifts and Squat each workout or Squat on Monday and Friday and Deadlift on Wednesday regardless of which workout falls on that day.

Also, unless you have a reason for needing to do them I would ditch the Push Ups or just use them as a warm up or cool down exercise and use Dips for hypertrophy instead. The combination of Incline Press and Dips is great for hypertrophy while Push Ups are just as poor as Bench Press is.

ok the pushups are gone and only to be used for warm ups. As for the squats I have looked for alternatives and I have found the dumbbell squat. I think this would be ideal as i do not have a barbell rack to assist with this. I just have to play around with the weights to get optimal results during my 12, 8, 5 and 5 maxes. I will do squats in workout A and deadlifts in workout B and alternate as the weeks go by so they are both used evenly. As for the dips Grunt, I would love to do them but I do not have the right equipment and there is nothing stable I can support myself on at home, trust me I have looked as this is one of my favorite chest and tri exercise :). I will see if I can fix this in later workouts but so far with this cycle I will have to leave them out as money is getting tight with Christmas just around the corner. Thanks for all your help with this Grunt I already feel like I am going to get a lot out of this next cycle thanks to your guidance. Anyway I'm off to create a spreadsheet to print off with all the exercises for my own use. Take care everyone.

Hey everyone first of all happy new year! I know I havent posted on here for awhile but things have been not too good so my training had to come to a stop temporarily. I did however manage to do 1 week solid of my second cycle using myo reps and what I found is they are quite fun and challenging it gives you motivation to push harder then the previous workout. The reason I had to end so quickly is because at the beginning of my second week I was becoming sick again so I didn't push myself hard during that first workout. Then on Christmas eve I suffered 2nd/3rd degree burns to the top of my right foot as a result of cleaning at work ( boiling water) since then I have been bed ridden the entire time and as I am slowly recovering but the longer im off my feet the faster I heal so most of my days have been in bed doing nothing just in taking a high protein diet to minimize muscle loss and also help aid recovery time quicker. I am hoping to start my 2nd cycle with myo reps again from the start using my previous weeks recordings too grasp where I am with strength. I will be back on here soon so don't panic :p take care everyone.

Back