For those who like to lift heavy

Well i went and found my maxes.

65lb dumbbells for flys for my 5rm. I tried doing a LS after the set, oh my lord. That was so painful on my shoulders, and i didn't even come close to touching the floor with the DB's.

For the pulsing exercises, i found a 15rm. How much lower should i go with the weight? 20%? This is 15rm of pulses, not full range repetitions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Feb. 25 2005,5:07)]I would normally agree with the DC experts.  

The problem is, general BB boards like bodybuilding.com (and even elitefitness), have exposed a lot of kids to some really advanced programs, stuff that they shouldn't try without nailing down the fundamentals.  They don't have the conceptual background; they obviously don't have the practical experience to master high-fatigue failure training while counting and mantaining good form.  I wouldn't even recommend HST or Max-OT to somebody with less than one year of practical training experience and learning.  And DC is harder than both.

But I think you're the exception that proves the rule.  You've done 20-rep.  You know how to train heavy without sacrificing form.  I assume you also are familiar with rep cadence.  You've read McRoberts.  You can do DC.  :)
cheers,
Jules
Ok, thanks for the confirmation. Yeah I'd say I'm a bit better of a trainer than the average teen at bb.com :D. Form importance is something that is overlooked by so many people. After reading Beyond Brawn twice, I think I got it nailed in my head. A lot of parallels can be drawn from BB and DC training.

So all systems go for DC (after lacrosse season)
thumbs-up.gif

Going to repeat my last post:
"Well i went and found my maxes.

65lb dumbbells for flys for my 5rm. I tried doing a LS after the set, oh my lord. That was so painful on my shoulders, and i didn't even come close to touching the floor with the DB's.

For the pulsing exercises, i found a 15rm. How much lower should i go with the weight? 20%? This is 15rm of pulses, not full range repetitions."

Also,

Incline curls. Supinate (hands facing in at bottom) or not?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]65lb dumbbells for flys for my 5rm. I tried doing a LS after the set, oh my lord. That was so painful on my shoulders, and i didn't even come close to touching the floor with the DB's.

Yeah, the DBs on the floor is more of an ideal. All you're looking for is the stretch. Be mindful about how your shoulders feel. You don't want to aggravate the cuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For the pulsing exercises, i found a 15rm. How much lower should i go with the weight? 20%? This is 15rm of pulses, not full range repetitions."

Really no need to find a 15RM for pulses. It's really just an arbitrary number so you can create a good burn with 15 pulses. Every once in awhile, you increase that load a little in order to increase the burn. But there's not a real need to make that progressive. In your case, since you actually did find out your 15RM for pulses, I would probably start at about 70% of that 15RM value. Again, this is more of a feel technique.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Incline curls. Supinate (hands facing in at bottom) or not?

I prefer palms up and a little away from the body. But if causes problem for your shoulders, a parallel, supinated grip works fine too.

cheers,
Jules

Thanks Vicious, i'm almost there bud! Have the rest of this week to SD (DOH!) and then i get to start.

Provided the increase in load continues, extending the heavy part of HST is beneficial correct?

So would it be beneficial to extend the 5s phase with clusters @ around 2-3RM before moving onto the negs?

Back