Gallon of Milk a day?

I should just stay out of the diet and nutrition section because I hate people preaching about what foods are appropiate or not.

We have vegans, lactose intolerance, paleo-diet, even raw meat guy!
biggrin.gif
It islike a religious debate only with food.

I am in the 'eat whatever you want and shut up crowd' so I will just stay out of this from now on.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 18 2007,19:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I should just stay out of the diet and nutrition section because I hate people preaching about what foods are appropiate or not.

We have vegans, lactose intolerance, paleo-diet, even raw meat guy!
biggrin.gif
It islike a religious debate only with food.

I am in the 'eat whatever you want and shut up crowd' so I will just stay out of this from now on.</div>
Same reason I try not to comment on a lot of that stuff, but being a jerk, it's hard not to open my mouth... er, move my fingers? Whatever, you get the point.

Which reminds me, I need to go to the store and get more milk.

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Apr. 19 2007,01:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Art de Vany and Cordain.</div>
neitehr of those idiots should be part of a normal diet either.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I should just stay out of the diet and nutrition section because I hate people preaching about what foods are appropiate or not.</div>

Yes, the better choice.  It just seemed rather silly, so I decided to yank some chains.

laugh.gif

(now I see I accidently deleted a bunch of my last post while trying to edit it on my Treo -- PDAs are not the best for this sort of thing! Oh well, best left alone)

<div>
(Ruthenian @ Apr. 19 2007,13:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Problems with this comment:

- What makes them part of a normal diet is that humans developed using them as a food source.  If early humans ever had access to milk after childhood it was  in extremely limited quantities.</div>
Which makes milk a more suitable food than most available cultivars today. They were not available to our ancestors any more than bovine (ovine or whatever) milks were available.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">- Further, milk is explicitly produced as a food, so it is appropriate to ask how it is best used as a food.</div>

Except the rebuttle of &quot;its for calves&quot; does not provide a suitable arguement for its validity as a human food.
Flour (any grain) is a product from the energy stores of plant reproduction.

Why should it be food?

legumes? why should they be food.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">- In a sense, it is true that &quot;...reproductive products of plants ... are not intended for anything other than supporting the growth of new plants.&quot; Â However, the adaptive strategy of some plants means that the fruit was palatable to some animals so that the seeds would be carried elsewhere or disseminated in their feces.</div>

Now, heres where it gets fun, you cant confuse a fruit, which is an interaction with the enviroment, from the reproductive agent, seed. We can harvest the seed to allow us to harvest the fruit. But we can also take the seed, pulse, grain etc and consume it directly.

what makes those 'normal' foods?

They are not meant to be digested, milk is.

The rabid part ... sorry .. I'm having fun with this thread, not meaning to come off so gruff. Sorry. Don't take anything personally.

I've been reflecting on the intolerence thing. You know, lots of people are allergic to peanuts. Deathly allergic. Maybe people should not eat them either -- except for body builders, that is.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am in the 'eat whatever you want and shut up crowd' so I will just stay out of this from now on. </div>

I here you Sci, but I just stay out of it. My main focus is the diet &amp; nutrition section is the analysis of nutrients and caloric balance.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The rabid part ... sorry .. I'm having fun with this thread, not meaning to come off so gruff. Sorry. Don't take anything personally.</div>
I'm not offended, just surprised at the response!  The whole thing about what is &quot;natural&quot; really isn't an issue for me.  That was just a sort of sideline,  so I was just having some fun, too.  
wink.gif
Apologies if I was also too gruff.

The real point I was trying to get at was whether it really matters if something is &quot;natural.&quot;  Heck, clothes aren't really &quot;natural&quot; either, but they are a good thing in most northern climates, never-the-less.

There are folks like the Unibomber who think that a whole slew of humanity's ills are due to technologies that aren't &quot;natural.&quot;  Try reading a newspaper called Fifth Estate some time and you are likely to find articles arguing that the invention of agriculture and language were the beginning of all our woes.  Raw wild food grunting nudists, unite!!
laugh.gif

Back