Gator's Training Log

UFGatorDude30

Alright, so I decided to ditch my old log.. and will try to keep this one going for awhile so I don't spam the board with new log threads every month.  So I'm currently SD'in... training will pick back up on Monday.  I think one of the most interesting things about HST (or working out in general), is tweaking your workout.  It's the constant evolution of my routine that keeps me interested in doing this (mirror results as well)... almost as if I'm my own experiment.

There are many things I was pleased with during my first cycle, and others I would like to change.  I really have a very easy job and I have nothing better to do than read almost everything on this site.  After seeing a lot of different ideas, a big portion of it from Sci, I am going to construct my plan of attack this week.  

Things I DO plan on implementing that I didn't before:
1)15's: I can't decide whether to do them for only a week, or stick with them for two.  But regardless of any lactic acid benefit, or success of highly sub-maximal growth, I really want to strive for perfection with my form... mainly DL's and squats.

2)Arm Iso's: I'm not trying to say that what I did last cycle did nothing for my arms.  It's just that, I went from working out arms a good bit, to doing next to none at all.  Last cycle really maintained well what I had considering the drop in work they had.  I'm talking about maybe putting in 1-2 sets at the END of each workout.

3)Abs: Enough said really.  My goal isn't to look like John Basedow but I think training abs for core strength is important.  Again, nothing major and it'd be at the end with arm iso's.

Here's what I have sketched out for my routine:

Training M-W-F

Alternating: A-B-A    B-A-B

Workout A:
Flat Bench Press
Standing Military Press
Pendlay Rows
Squats

Workout B:
Dips
Upright Rows
Chins
Deadlift

Auxillery:
1 set of BB curls
1 set of Skullcrushers
Abs

Week 1: 2 x 15 (15RM)
Weeks 2 and 3: 3 x 10 (10RM)
Weeks 4 and 5: 3 x 8 (8RM)
Weeks 6 and 7: 3 x 5 (5RM)
Week 8: Max Out Week

Answers to possible questions:

Why flat bench and not incline?
As much as I loved doing incline last cycle, the gym I will be working out at in about a month doesn't have one.  I'm working with Quad to possibly build an attachment to let me do it in the future, but I am just going to plan on sticking with flat the entire cycle.

Explain the rep/set scheme?
I will use a rep calculator to determine what my 15, 10, 8, and 5 rep maxes are, based off of the 1RM I ended with last cycle.  I will start off with the appropriate RM when I get to each rep range, and add weight whenver I successfully complete the necessary reps.  Here is an example:

Let's say my 15RM on bench is 150.  My first workout on the 15's will use this weight.  If I don't get it 15 times, I'll stay at that weight until I can do a full set of 15.  If I do complete all 15 reps, I will add weight... so basically getting new 15RM PB's every time I do.  Then when I get to the 10's, I will start with my calculated 10RM (off the ORIGINAL 1RM), and do the same.  There may or may not be zizag.

The rep scheme was based off many ideas I've seen floating around lately... and as I said earlier, mainly sci's.  It may sound complicated, as I am bad at explaining things online, but it really is an easy concept.  Basically, it should give me more strength gains than last cycle, and hopefully that will lead to more hypertrophy.

This looks really, really good, Gator! I've too have been reading sci's thread in the general forum and found quite a few points he made to be rather interesting. From what you've outlined, this cycle should yield nice strength gains, and with the conditionally progressive nature of the loads you'll be maintaining, hypertrophy as well.

Cool stuff! Enjoy the rest of your SD!

I like it. As you know my current beliefs about training, I think you will get better results doing it this way, and training near your maxes while progressing load throughout the cycle.

I have only one criticism: 'normal' HST starts at submax weights and only maxes out at the end of each mini-cycle, so three times/week is fine. If you are going to try this approach of training at your maxes, you might want to consider dropping frequency to twice/week whole body. Something like Monday A, Thursday B.
Not many guys could handle training close to maxes full-body three times/week! If you can handle it though, more power to you!

I echo sci's thoughts...training full body 3x per week with near maxes may burn you out incredibly fast. I'm training heavy, but it's MS style, and the reps are very limited so that I can extend a cycle to perhaps 4 or 5 months b/4 a true SD is needed. I'm hitting the big muscle groupes 4 to 5 times per week, too.

I might suggest a week on/week off type thing. Week one, do deads; week two, do squats; week three, back to deads. Spread the loads/exercises around. When you're training light, it's not such an issue, but when going heavy, it may be an option.

Very good points indeed. I love input
smile.gif
. Because this is my first attempt at doing something like this... I might use my intuition as to when I need to drop the frequency. I think I should be able to handle 3x all the way until the 5's. Maybe then I will drop it down to 2x a week like sci suggested to keep up with the volume. Will be interesting to see... only time will tell.

I like the standing military press (that's w/ the bar coming down in front, right?)...I'm going to be picking up that lift next time around too. dropping seated DB Shldr Press.

Props on adjusting to the Pendlay Rows as well. That's another lift I'd like to give a go. dropping 1 Arm DB Rows.

<div>
(liegelord @ Jun. 28 2007,00:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ditch the upright rows and you've got a real solid program.</div>
Why? If they hurt his shoulders then I agree. But if not they work great for deltoid hypertrophy.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I echo sci's thoughts...training full body 3x per week with near maxes may burn you out incredibly fast. </div>

That's a very good point. You're not utilizing a key HST principle by starting at your RM. That's a feature of HIT, and you may not gain as much muscle. You'll probably get burned out by the high frequency of heavy weight as Slapz mentioned.

If you consider changing that up, a possibility is to start at sub-maximal weight but only 80-90% instead of the recommended 60-70%.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like the standing military press (that's w/ the bar coming down in front, right?)...I'm going to be picking up that lift next time around too.  dropping seated DB Shldr Press.</div>
That's exactly the transition I'm going to do this routine.  DB's just didn't seem to do too much.  I'm giving militaries a try so I can say I've given both a chance.

<div></div><div id="CODEHEAD">CODE</div><div id="CODE">Ditch the upright rows and you've got a real solid program.</div>
I know people that hate uprights too.  Is this because you think they aren't worth it, or are they bad on the shoulders?  Because my DL's really aren't anything right now, these are the only thing I feel in my traps.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You're not utilizing a key HST principle by starting at your RM.</div>
Good call... definitely something I didn't think about.  However, as long as I am still progressing the load, then I am still following the principle, no?  If I can't achieve that lifting 3 times a week, I'll drop the frequency to 2x.  If I still can't achieve that, I will drop the routine altogether.  The only reason I thought I could hold my own for this, at least for the start, is I did a similar set/rep scheme about 2 years ago... and was able to progress.  I just wasn't knowledgable about what lifts to do or frequency  
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good call... definitely something I didn't think about. However, as long as I am still progressing the load, then I am still following the principle, no?</div>

If you can increase the load nearly every workout, then you are abiding by HST rules. However, I don't see how long that can be done unless you workout MS style and have a spotter for given exercises. As I said, try starting at 80 or 90% and progress from there. If not, you'll probably plateau very quickly.

Your old log was great to read!!!

Your new routine is just about like mine (but I bet you're lifting a lot heavier than me!!!)

I see it as an A and a B exercise for each of the big four groups. I throw in iso's at the end of each workout too. 1 or two sets, maybe 3 in the 5s, or maybe none at all. Who cares?

Good luck!

Thanks a lot man. Glad someone was interested in reading it
biggrin.gif

I've been thinking about it today, and I think I'm going to take Colby's advice and start at 80 or 90% and apply it to this routine. I will decide which percent to start with by Monday. I'm going to go in the gym tommorrow morning and get some maxes in on lifts I didn't do last cycle... namely flat bench and militaries.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 27 2007,11:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Training M-W-F

Alternating: A-B-A B-A-B

Workout A:
Flat Bench Press
Standing Military Press
Pendlay Rows
Squats

Workout B:
Dips
Upright Rows
Chins
Deadlift</div>
That's much like I'm doing on my new cycle. Except that I substitute a Lying Bench Row for the Pendlays in your A workout. I figure my lower back is getting plenty of stress from the Squats and the Deads.

In the B workout I substitute Shrugs for the Upright Rows. I like to work my traps (besides, I use the same amount of weight for my shrugs as I do for my Deads, so the bar is already loaded...).

[I'm still hoping that the entire University of Florida and its faculty will be taken down alive into hell, but am content to wait until next football season...
wow.gif
]

2 reasons not to do upright rows. First, they're not a good exercise because they cause shoulder and wrist problems. Second is the lighter loads used compared to other lifts that hit the traps. The deadlift is the absolute king for traps, but it can't be worked frequently. Next are clean pulls and then power or squat cleans. Shrugs are good also.

You should be using much heavier loads in those lifts than you can use for upright rows.

<div>
(liegelord @ Jun. 29 2007,01:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2 reasons not to do upright rows.  First, they're not a good exercise because they cause shoulder and wrist problems.  Second is the lighter loads used compared to other lifts that hit the traps.  The deadlift is the absolute king for traps, but it can't be worked frequently.  Next are clean pulls and then power or squat cleans.  Shrugs are good also.

You should be using much heavier loads in those lifts than you can use for upright rows.</div>
Wholeheartedly agree...ditch the upright rows
smile.gif

Interesting guys.... I think I just may switch it out with shrugs. I really do miss those... as I love traps. Even though one of mine is bigger than the other lol.

Back