Gator's Training Log

So I went into the gym this morning (couldn't keep out for my ENTIRE SD  
wink.gif
), and found my max for flat bench and military press.  I was actually pretty nervous, as muscle memory is big for me and not having done flat bench in so long... I thought my numbers would be much lower than my PB.

Ended up with 235 on flat bench and 135 on military press.  Yeah, not the greatest.. no need to tell me.  I'm hoping to get that number up on flat bench to around 275 by the end of summer, while weighing around 165.  

I'm almost deadset on switching out uprights with shrugs.. in which case I'll need to find a max for those too.  I'll get it this weekend, as my cycle starts Monday.

***Quick question. On militaries, is the correct form for your legs to be together like a push press, or split like a jerk? I did them really strict and my legs were split.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 29 2007,09:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">***Quick question.  On militaries, is the correct form for your legs to be together like a push press, or split like a jerk?  I did them really strict and my legs were split.</div>
I had this exact question today as well!

Did mine w/ feet parallel and a little wider than shoulder width...felt like I was going to go over backwards, lol!

Anyone answering , please discuss preferred hand position as well.

I did my 1st set moderately wider than shoulder width while 2nd two sets were slightly wider than shoulder width.

fyi: 2nd two sets felt better and I could lift for more reps.

Training M-W-F

Alternating: A-B-A B-A-B

Workout A:
Flat Bench Press
Standing Military Press
Pendlay Rows
Squats

Workout B:
Dips
Shrugs
Chins
Deadlift

Auxillery:
1 set of BB curls
1 set of Tricep Pushdowns
Abs

Week 1: 2 x 15 (Start @ 80% 15RM)
Weeks 2 and 3: 3 x 10 (Start @ 80% 10RM)
Weeks 4 and 5: 3 x 8 (Start @ 80% 8RM)
Weeks 6 and 7: 3 x 5 (Start @ 80% 5RM)
Week 8: Max Out Week

Ok so here is the final blueprint... for now.
wink.gif

I took advice and dropped uprights for shrugs, and decided to start at 80% of each of the given RM's instead of 100. So tommorrow morning I'm back to the gym for another solid 8 weeks. My joints are feeling great and the lower back has been feeling better than usual.

Workout #1

Version A - 15 Rep Mesocycle

First weights used are 80% of my 15RM

Bench Press 125 x 15, 135 x 15
Pendlays 105 x 15, 115 x 10(+5 MS)
Military Press 80 x 15, 85 x 10(+5 MS)
Squats 140 x 15, 150 x 15

BB Curls 45 x 15
Tricep Pushdowns 40 x 15
Ab Machine 60 x 15

Whew... I came an inch away from puking.  I'm definitely deconditioned.  Not that the weight seemed hard, as I feel like I could still put up the same 1RM's, but my endurance for 15 reps was definitely non-existant  
wow.gif
.  As you can see from what I posted, if I accomplished all 15 reps I put more weight on the next set.  Obviously, I managed to do that for all my first sets of each exercise... but I didn't get all 15 for 2 of my 2nd sets.  On Pendlays and militaries, I had to use max-stim to get all 15 on the second set... so on the next workout I do these, I will still use the weight I couldn't get all 15 times.  Yeah, I know Pendlays are inherently MS, but I only used M-time of about a second for them.  Getting those last 5, I had to use much longer m-times... which is why I don't credit myself for finishing the set.

I can see where a lot of this routine may be hard to explain to anyone who actually reads this.  But, I really think this one will be superior to my previous... as I put in some better exercises, added a tad bit of volume, and am giving the 15's a try.

On a further note, so I don't look so retarded for doing the &quot;ab machine&quot;, I am really doing it to simply build core strength. I'm not sure how well it will work, but I'd rather do something with pure resistance that I can keep track of, than say, doing 100 crunches. Abs are one thing I've always had because I'm so skinny, so I don't really concern myself with keeping a 6-pack... especially since I'm trying to pack on weight.

Don't apologize for doing ab work, my friend. Some believe in it, others don't. If it works for you, that's all that matters.

Great start to the new cycle, Gator!! I hope this one truly is better than your last!

So I decided to do a rough count of my nutrient intake today.. and to say the least, ouch. I'm almost suprised I've gained any muscle at all over the last cycle. I ate today as I typically have all summer, and used fitday.com to get some estimates of my intake. I know the foods aren't exactly the same, but I knew they'd give me a general idea. Colby helped me calculate my level of 2200 calories, and a bulk at 2700.

I'm stuffed full after dinner and I'm currently sitting at:
1743g Calories
70g Fat
200g Carbs
86g Protein

I think the protein is actually closer to 120, as the sushi on fitday.com didn't have tuna in it, which mine did.
And I'm downing another shake later which will give me another 20. With my BW at around 150, my protein intake should be good by sleeptime. But... ouch on the other stuff.

Gator, I never did find out your weight and approximate bodyfat%? Height and age play in as a small factor as well.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 02 2007,09:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">On a further note, so I don't look so retarded for doing the &quot;ab machine&quot;, I am really doing it to simply build core strength.</div>
If you really want to look retarded while building core strength in a fitness club, then do some OH squats. Guaranteed to draw stares and have at least one person instructing you to stop: &quot;I don't know what you're doing but you better stop before you hurt yourself.&quot;

Workout #2

Version B - 15 Rep Mesocycle

First weights used are 80% of my 15RM

Dips BW + 52.5 x 15, 15 (Oops, forgot to add weight on the second set)
Chins BW + 35 x 8, 8 (Dunno what happened here... couldn't even get more with MS)
Shrugs 145 x 15, 155 x 15
Deadlift 135 x 15, 145 x 15

BB Curls 55 x 15
Tricep Pushdowns 50 x 15
Ab Machine 70 x 15

Not sure what happened there with the chins... they were extremely hard. After 8, I would have to use an m-time of over a minute to even get another rep with MS. I was pleased with the other exercises though. DL's felt really good actually. Form seemed perfect, and I really think I might get pretty close to 300 this go around. I'm realy liking the arm iso's at the end... don't think they are too much to handle.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 03 2007,09:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">150'ish BW, ~10% BF

20 years old, 5'10</div>
Using my UGW assumption, your BMR should be almost 2000* calories/day. Add in your average calories burned/day through workout &amp; walking, and it may go above 2200. You may want to go with that figure depending on how picky you are in regards to how much adipose tissue you may put on.

For the assumption, I just take the rounded up maximum (since it's a bulk) of three different BMR calculations:

Katch-McArdle (my personal favorite): 1865
Harris-Benedict: 1929
HST Bulk: 1950

Workout #3

Version A - 15 Rep Mesocycle

Flat Bench 145 x 15, 155 x 15
Pendlays 115 x 15, 125 x 15
Military Press 85 x 10, 85 x 4 (Will Explain Below)
Squats 160 x 15, 170 x 15

BB Curls 65 x 11
Tricep Pushdowns 60 x 5
Ab Machine 80 x 15

So I wasn't exactly even close to getting 15 on militaries.. I did some math and realized I miscalculated what 80% of my 15RM was... in fact I'm already higher than 100% of my 15RM lol. This was my last workout of the 15's. I can now say I've given them a try and honestly, they are definitely no extended SD. I would say it is more physically challenging than the 5's... simply because of the long sets.

I think I had the right idea of only doing the 15's for a week, but I went way to heavy on them. By no means was I really able to focus on form because by the latter reps I was heaving so bad I just wanted to get it over with. I think next cycle, I'll do them for a week again, but go much, much lighter. I only want to do it for a week so my muscle memory doesn't get used to the puny weights, but I want to go extra light so I can actually get out of the 15's what I'm supposed to - loosen up my joints, and form perfection.

Enough of the negative stuff though, I'm in the 10's next week. Everything else has been going as planned though. By not having a certain weight &quot;locked in&quot; for a workout, I am able to progress as I need to, and stay put with a certain weight if I need to as well.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can now say I've given them a try and honestly, they are definitely no extended SD. I would say it is more physically challenging than the 5's... simply because of the long sets. </div>

It's a lesson that is always learned. The 15's are a tough mesocycle even with the low weights.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think next cycle, I'll do them for a week again, but go much, much lighter. I only want to do it for a week so my muscle memory doesn't get used to the puny weights, but I want to go extra light so I can actually get out of the 15's what I'm supposed to - loosen up my joints, and form perfection.</div>

You could do it for week, but start at 70% of your 15RM. Muscle memory is the ability to gain muscle very quickly after a point in which you lost muscle. As far as RBE is concerned, another week will not hurt. It will be beneficial to you since you are doing linear progression anyways.

Good points Colby. Although, I am not really doing linear progression anymore. Or well, I can't really tell at this point.

Next week, the first weights I will use will be 80% of my 10RM.. whatever that is. And two weeks later, 80% of my 8RM, and so on. I am still debating the volume drops. Regardless, if some of these 80% weights happen to be less than what I stopped progressing at on the previous mesocycle, I might have some built in zig-zagging.

Basically what I've come to realize, is that my routine is a lot like a vanilla routine, except that if I can go beyond the mesocycle's RM's, I will.. instead of stopping at them.

Looks like a good start regardless of the miscalculations, Gator. At least you're learning as you go, and probably getting some incredible pumps in with the higher volume, higher-than-expected weight.

Good stuff, man.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 06 2007,10:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Basically what I've come to realize, is that my routine is a lot like a vanilla routine, except that if I can go beyond the mesocycle's RM's, I will.. instead of stopping at them.</div>
awesome routine. your focus on nutrition should help you to new levels.

I'll be rooting for you to pull 300!

Workout #4

Version B - 10 Rep Mesocycle

First weights used are 80% of my 10RM

Dips BW + 60 x 10, 65 x 10, 70 x 10
Chins BW + 40 x 10, 45 x 7, 45 x 5  
sad.gif

Shrugs 165 x 10, 175 x 10, 185 x 10
Deadlift 145 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10

BB Curls 65 x 10
Tricep Pushdown 60 x 10
Ab Machine 90 x 10

Other than those frekkin chins, I thought this was a very successful workout.  In the 10's now, and managed to progress in every set except with the chins.  I am blaming it on the fact that it is my lowest max weight-wise, so a 5 pound gain on that is like a 20 pound gain on my deads.  So maybe it really wasn't such a disappointment after all.  My dips have really seen some progress.  My final set of 10 today, was my original 1RM from last cycle.  

My goal this week is good food, food, food.

Back