Getting lean without losing beef

being, what carb type/source did you feel that worked best on your UD2.0 carb load days? Frutose, pasta, rice, bread...? What's your take on maltodextrin as carb source?

<div>
(electric @ Aug. 29 2008,7:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">being, what carb type/source did you feel that worked best on your UD2.0 carb load days? Frutose, pasta, rice, bread...? What's your take on maltodextrin as carb source?</div>
It seems to work best when you limit fructose to ~50 grams (which is equivalent to 100gr sucrose). Its not as fun of course, but seems to avoid fat spillover.

Other than that, maltodextrin, dextrose, and tons of starches and lactose seem to work great. I haven't noticed any real issue with high GI carbs (white rice vs brown rice, etc)

When I was fatter, btw, I could reload with WAY high fructose and not have a problem. Doesn't work anymore!

I figure GI won't matter much when doing a carb load. When glycogen stores are full, they shut the doors.

I believe you did learn of the fructose issues earlier than I did (my log). What is your reaction to too much fructose?

Saturday August 30th

Weight: 157.8

Routine: SFP
             5 Intervals
             30 min SS cardio
             50 min walk with doggie

Calories: ~1250

Sunday August 31st

Weight: 155.6

Routine: 40 min SS cardio

Calories: ~1400

THE CUT ENDS!!! WOOHOOO

New maintenance level: BW X 10-12

157ish X 12=1884 calories on the top end.

I don't think it'd be wise to eat at this level tomorrow. I'll treat Monday as belonging to my 'old maintenance' as I'm coming out of two low cal days and a crap load of intervals and cardio.

I'll shoot for 2400 for monday.

Then drop down to 1900/ day for the week.

I do walk my dog, and will be doing so more regularly, quite fast and long, so figure another 5-7 hrs of brisk walking may raise things a bit.

So I may eat at 2-2100 to stay safe. Worse case scenario, I gain a lb of fat. no biggie. I'm assuming glycogen will be normalizing as well, so I would be shocked if the scale didn't go up a lb or two anyway.

I'm not sure if I should keep my protein so high though, for the week. May be wise to 'cycle it' down for a week.

<div>
(nkl @ Aug. 30 2008,5:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I figure GI won't matter much when doing a carb load. When glycogen stores are full, they shut the doors.

I believe you did learn of the fructose issues earlier than I did (my log). What is your reaction to too much fructose?</div>
Thermodynamically impossible fat gain and a lot of gas!

Uncontrollable hunger as well. Obviously fructose doesn't raise insulin, so I think this is just my childhood sweet tooth acting up vis-a-vis psychological triggers.

But like I said, its strange, it doesn't always happen. Could be variations in initial liver glycogen levels.

And my fat loss is so non linear in general...well, who knows!.

But I'm relatively sure its an issue.

It sounds like you have developed some sort of malabsorbtion of fructose. It's common in europe and america. I believe roughly 30-40% of the population have this issue (read about it the other day - only do not know where...). I did dig up this one that explains a lot: www.answers.com/fructose. Read the part on health effects (at the end of the article).

Edit: Ah, found a reference to fructose malabsorption on wikipedia

Back