Getting lean without losing beef

<div>
(colby2152 @ Aug. 22 2008,9:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">GFH diet? Is that a derivative of the ABCDE diet?</div>
LOL

get f*cking huge diet...

I guess thats an anabolic burst cycle yeah
smile.gif

Friday August 22nd

Weight: 157

Routine: 3 min warm up cycling

10 minutes of suicidal ideation inducing intervals

3 minute pee break

20 min of SS cardio just below lactate threshold (HR=150)

Calories:1355
Protein:173
Fat:27
Carb:60
30z vodka (stoli vanilla and diet coke...delicious)=180 calories

weight's not done what I wanted it to do this week, yet. I'm still waiting for the woooooosh drop! Grrr

Saturday August 23rd

Weight: 156.6

Routine: HST felt like crap today. lack of sleep. don't care to remember the workout in detail.

Calories: HS reunion. Ate freely, but exercised portion control.

All the girls I used to salivate over were loving the physique
smile.gif
!!!!

Beats any mirror/scale/caliper/tape measurement any day!

Sunday August 24th

Weight: 155.6

Need to do something today to prevent spill over from yesterday. haven't decided yet.

Gotta love the diuresis from the alcohol leading to a new low in weight though hahaha

Routine: Full Body Depletion (abbreviated, only 4 sets per body part)

25 mins incline treadmill (HR ~150)

Calories: ~1350

<div>
(BAX67 @ Aug. 24 2008,11:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How were the girls you used to salivate over looking?</div>
pretty lame actually!

except for one of them. my god she really developed nicely after HS. absolutely gorgeous. masseuse no less.

we hit it off and were attached at the hip the entire night, yet she has a live in BF. very confusing situation BAX!

Speculations for new routine.

I'm going to stop cutting very soon. I'm thinking Sept 1st.

I will SD for a week and eat at maintenance.

Then the program will be HST with an attempt at recomp. Depending on how this goes, I may shift into a slow bulk.

Layne Norton's method of 4-6 weeks bulking + 2-4 weeks cutting is very attractive to me. I'll keep this close in mind depending on how thing go.

Calories will be maintenance + on WO days, maintenance - on off days, and one day of the week at maintenance pure and simple. This is for starters only.

Cardio will be greatly reduced. This may mean 1-2 cardio sessions, or no formal cardio sessions, but a few hour long walks with the doggie every week.

I want the routine to be compound focused, with an attempt to really grow and gain strength in the basic movements.

Isos will be there, but lowered volume.

I may avoid all shoulder presses for a cycle, as I think they're getting agitated.

Instead on my off days or WO days at home I'll be doing light self rehab should work to keep things loose.

I don't know if I can squat honestly, because of knee issues. Deadlifts don't seem to aggravate this at all. We'll see.

Preliminary ideas:

A B

Flat Bench Dip
Dead lift Squat (maybe)
Yates Row Chin
Leg curl BB curl
Calf Raise Close grip bench
Abs Shrug

The majority of my energy and volume will be centered around the big three under each letter.

Yates Row/Chins will hammer the biceps.

Close grip bench/bench will beat up the triceps and anterior deltoids.

Deads and Squats should beat up ...well...everything!

So the isos are just to give an extra little push to the growth stimulus.

So during 5's I imagine the compounds would get 3-4 X 5 per workout, and the isos 1-2 X 5 per workout.

Still a work in progress.

Criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a winning plan. I don't know how heavy you've been going lately but a 2 week SD although difficult would be very productive.
Make an effort of doing squats. Even if you have to go light. DO break parallel and if possible go ATG. I have found out by experience that it is much better on the knee (at least for me). I started doing parallel squats and the knees started to hurt. The people at the gym told me to drop squats. After reading this forum I decided to try them again but going ATG. The pain is gone.

excuse my ignorance electric...

but does parallel just mean your hammies are parallel to the floor at the bottom of the rep?

and ATG means what?

Parallel is hips around knee height what should make your hams parallel to the floor. That position is where the most force is applied at the knee, so stopping there and returning is putting undue force on the knee. Going as low as possible (ATG), with proper form, will transfer the force to the hams and glutes besides the quads. I was amazed at the first time I went ATG of how sore I was on the glutes and hams the other day.
Just watch out when going ATG because due to flexibility issues you might round your lower back when you are in the hole and that's to be avoided.

will do. I'm gonna go bang a few out now.

I've honestly been thinking of going even more abbreviated with the September routine.

As in Flat Bench/Dead lift alternate with Squat/Rows only. Some Isos to fill in holes.

I see no real reason to alternate chest/back exercises if volume is controlled.

Lemme know what you think!

I think I would at least add a chin or pullup for the lats. I personally also do OHPs and Upright Rows though you said your shoulder has been bothering you, right? OHPs are good not only to get triceps and front delts direct work but from all the stabilization needed to put the bar above your head.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 25 2008,12:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">will do. I'm gonna go bang a few out now.

I've honestly been thinking of going even more abbreviated with the September routine.

As in Flat Bench/Dead lift alternate with Squat/Rows only. Some Isos to fill in holes.

I see no real reason to alternate chest/back exercises if volume is controlled.

Lemme know what you think!</div>
Go for it man. Your body is probally primed for some serious mass building after a nice cut. In my own experience, in the spring of '07 I had cut down to 150#. I used the 5x5 and HST with just basic compounds and had great success. I'm still using the same setup because it's to convenient and still getting results although not as nice as when I started. I think you'll be pleased with the simplicity and the results.
Oh yeah, when I was at 150#, I had to eat like crazy to put on any weight. I know you have a plan for your bulk diet, but I was suprisingly having to put down between 3300 and 3800 cals/day to put on a 1/2 pound a week. Anyways, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Good luck and enjoy stuffing yourself. Drink lots of milk!!

Monday August 25th

Weight: 156

Routine: Back Squats ATG as per electric

Flat Bench

Yates Row

BB curl

Close Grip Bench

Leg Curl

Ab Crunch machine

Calf Raise Seated

Compounds were all 3X5 working sets

Isos 1X5 working set

Calories:
I did a refeed today. kept fat low (under 40-50) and chowed down on carbs. Didn't count much. Don't think I got any spillover.

I needed this bad, along with 10+ hours of sleep.

Can't wait to finish this cut in a few days.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 26 2008,6:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can't wait to finish this cut in a few days.</div>
I was one impressive cut!!
smile.gif

Tuesday August 26th:

Weight: 157.4

Routine: SFP 1.0

5 min warm up
6 intervals of death
3 min cool down
3 min walk to car, got water and cell phone, cursed myself off for wanting to go home, and
walked back in gym

43 min incline treadmill (average HR 144-150)
10 min cool down

Lyle's right about using a machine you're not familiar with and catecholamine response. I used one of those eliptical jammies that the fat chicks love with the adjustable whatever you call it (plane of motion for the feet)

My heart was pounding in ways it hasn't for months

calories
Protein 191
Carb 65
Fat 30

being,

What's your take on cardio AFTER lifting as opposed to cardio on OFF days? Is there any research to support which may burn more fat? I always thought that the best time was after lifting due to depleted glycogen, but I guess we know that glycogen is hardly depleted after 1 workout.

Sof

I think post workout is good, because you've probably begun to mobilize FFAs to some extent (I think it takes about 20 mins of cardio to get that going at a near maximum? Dunno)

But then again, it hampers recovery (perhaps not significantly so, but it must to some extent).

If you're bulking, you could make an argument that even cardio on an off day hampers recovery, though obviously keeps fat gain at bay.

According to Lyle's account of his EOD days, he would do light cardio (brisk walking) on off days, and then an hour of more intense incline treadmill the morning of his workout days, and then lift in the evening and refeed.

The implication I suppose is again, it will impede anabolism somewhat (on a refeed system especially)

As such it depends on your goals.

Layne Norton, for one, thinks cardio while bulking is pointless according to an article of his I read a while back.

Others

Weds August 27th

Weight 154.8 new valley. wow.

Waist:
Measured just above the belly button: just over 28
Measured just below the belly button: just over 29

Routine. work sets unless indicated as WU

Over grip shoulder width cable row
         4X5X135

Flat Bench
         4X5X100

Deadlift