Getting Massive

5s DAY 11

IncBenchDB 38*8, 44*5, 52.5 Fail, 50*5, 50*5 - couldnt get the 52.5s, had to try tho...
Chins BW*5,BW10*5 BW25*5, BW25*4+1 - PB v hard. clustered last rep
ShldrPrsDB 26*8, 36*5, 36*5 - v hard - felt solid tho
Squats 80*5, 100*5, 120*5, 120*5 -PB v hard - still not getting parallel, but felt better.

i couldnt get the 52.5s to a starting position by myself. i rekon if i had a spot i could have nailed them. i got a spot for the last set of 50s and it felt pretty solid. didnt need any help really. chins felt good too, clustered the last rep but that was expected. good finish to my A routine.

just looking over the notes of my last cycle - looks like chins and squats are PBs. although still not happy with form for squats. need to get lower!

Last edited:
5s DAY 12

LegPress 200*5, 240*5, 280*5, 320*5, 320*5 - v hard PB
Dips BW*5, BW20*5, BW40*5, BW40*5 - v hard PB
RowsDB 36*5, 40*5, 44*5, 44*5 - v hard
MilPress 50*5, 60*5, 60*5 - very hard
Deads 100*5, 120*5, 140*3+1, 140*4 - PB

got some good PBs today. especially happy with deads - last set felt really solid. it was good to finally load 6 plates on! couldnt quite get the last rep out but not too bothered. getting a new set of scales so will weigh myself next week. but for now thats it! SD for 3 weeks while i go to South Africa for some much needed sun and surf!

Great looking sets Oz! Nice to see you getting so many PBs.

Do you Surf? I haven’t been Surfing for about a year and really miss it. Not that I could manage doing it regularly while lifting like I am now but it’s one hell of a way to stay in shape.

haha not for a long time, used to do a bit growing up in OZ. over here across the pond i have limited myself to snowboarding in europe, but i plan on taking up surfing soon, and where better to start than SA! just gotta watch out for the sharks

When I I was briefly stationed in Australia I was able to surf Manly, Dee Why and North North Narrabeen. About the only thing I had a problem with was some of the locals. ;)

Best surfing I ever had was in Accra Ghana. Unfortunately it was mostly a beach break but I was almost the only person who surfed there at the time. Met one other guy, a Canadian, passing through.

thats so cool! my mum lives in manly. i grew up about an hour west - pennant hills. it was a bit of a mission to get to the beach so i didnt surf as much as i wanted to, but when i get back to sydney i'll definitely take it up again. northern beaches are awesome, but yeah the locals can get a bit narky. i'm getting married at the newport arms in august. did you ever go there? best beer garden!

bit bummed tonight, i bought a good set of scales today and weighed myself - 75KGs. thats a loss of 1KG. dont know how that happened. i'm going to take some measurements to see if its accurate or not because i feel and look bigger. the only thing i can think of is i didnt track cals this cycle. also all the beers last night probably didnt help as i am pretty dehydrated, but i was hoping to nudge 80KGs...

I never made it to Newport Arms, only had a little time off and I spent almost all of it at the Beach. It was nice to get into water where I didn’t need a 5/3/2 wetsuit to keep from getting hypothermia in Wellington’s Lyall Bay or Titahi bay near Porirua in New Zealand where I was actually living at the time.

I wouldn’t worry about the weight loss with a new scale. I always go buy the change measured by the same scale since they are all calibrated a little differently. Even standing on the scale differently can change the readings of some. Also my body weight can vary anywhere around +/- 2 lbs just based on hydration level.

i'm trying not to. gonna get some measurements this week then take a well deserved break. start again fresh in 3 weeks. i'll start cal counting again - i feel that really helped me 1st cycle.

thanks for the support guys! see you in a few weeks

10s DAY 1 - weight 76.5KGs, BF% 23.5

back to gloomy london after 2.5 weeks in sunny cape town. anyway its good to be back throwing the iron around! i have a new gym and i bought a set of expensive tanita scales so i'm going to keep a closer eye on my weight and body fat% i dont think its entirely accurate on the bf, but i may as well monitor it. i want to cut down a fair bit - starting to look pretty smooth and my work pants dont fit. i'll do some light cardio on my off days and cut my cals down to about 2400.

Bench 50*10, 65*10, 65*10 - easy. made the switch from DB to BB.
legCurl 40*10, 55*10, 55*10 - good
Chins A33*10, A12*10, A12*10 - hard. bit of a worry...
CalfRaise 30*12, 30*12 - easy. switched to seated calf raise
ShldrPrsDB 24*10, 24*10 - good
Squats 60*10, 75*10, 75*10 - good
DBCurls 14*10, 14*10 - easy
Skulls 25*10, 25*10 - easy

good first day. i think i might have a slight abdominal tear under my ribcage. it gets pretty sore when i sit hunched over, especially when i drink something. gonna go to the doc to get it checked out, but i need to ease up on anything that stretches my abs too much. very happy with squats, was able to get parallel without too much difficulty.

10s DAY 2 - weight 75.5KGs, BF% 21.7

LegPress 100*10, 180*10, 180*10 - good
Dips BW*10, BW5*10, BW5*10 - good, burned!
RowsDB 32*10, 32*10 - easy
MilPress 37.5*10, 37.5*10 - good
CR 35*10, 35*10 - easy
Deads 60*10, 90*10, 90*10 - good (almost easy!)
Skulls 27.5*10, 27.5*10 - easy
DBCurls 16*10, 16*10 - good

felt really good today, bit of CNS death on the second set for some exercises but i have come to expect this after SD. Deads felt really good. i am really happy with my progress. just need to get the fat down to see some definition. i have cut carbs down a bit more - see how it goes.

Nice to see you back at it Oz. I take it you skipped the 15s and started right off with the 10s? How’s that feel to you?

I accelerated the 15s weight so it only took 1 week, but didn’t skip them completely.

Better watch the weight loss mate, I’m up to 74.5Kg and gonna catch you . . . assuming that’s a good thing?

hey man, yeah i skipped the 15s, trying to cut up a bit and i read it was probably better not to do them. my joints feel great so far. this is the first time i have measured my weight every day. it has fluctuated by about 1KG, i'm not sure if i'm happy or not - probably too early to tell. trying to stick to 2300-2400 cals and doing some low impact cardio on off days. i'll give it about 2 weeks and see. the main test is if i can wear my 32 inch work pants! at the moment they are uncomfortably tight. my 34s are loose so i have to stick with them for the time being. i have never been so fat in my life! its a bit scary.

original measurements:
Weight - 71.2Kgs
BF% - 15
Bicep (r) - 13.5 inches
Bicep flexed (r) - 14.5
Chest - 39.5
Waist - 32.5
Hips - 34.5
Thigh (r) - 21.5

new measurements:
Weight - 75.6Kgs
BF% - ?
Bicep (r) - 14.25 inches
Bicep flexed (r) - 15
Chest - 41
Waist - 34
Hips - 36
Thigh (r) - 22.5

just took some measurements compared to when i started. looking good! especially the bicep. cant believe that.

Nice improvement Oz! Wish I could get my arms to grow faster.

Are you measuring both arms and legs and only posting the right side? If not I suggest you do measure both since asymmetrical development can sneak up on you.

thanks mate biceps were a surprise. just measuring the right. not too worried about symmetry. what would you do if one side was bigger than the other?

I’d probably add more isolation exercises at the end of a workout to try and help beef up the smaller arm. I’d also stay away from machine exercises can allow a dominant arm to do more of the work.

Probably not a huge deal and not likely noticeable unless you flex and pose but sometimes then it can look distracting. Like my arms which both measure the same but my left biceps peak is higher than my right. Every once and a while I throw in some concentration curls for my right biceps which seems to be helping.

10s DAY 3 - weight 75.5KGs, BF% 23.2

really dont trust this body fat measurement on my scales. how can i stay the same weight but jump up 1.5% BF? i'm going to ignore it from now on. i'm trying intermittent fasting, so basically i eat all my food between 12 and 8pm. it's a struggle in the morning - i'm starving, but lets see how it goes. i used a different gym yesterday so some of the machines were a bit different.

Bench 50*10, 75*10, 75*10 - good.
legCurl 35*10, 60*10, 60*7 - too hard, different machine
Chins BW*10, BW*10 - good
CalfRaise 40*10, 40*10 - good - different machine
ShldrPrsDB 18*10, 26*10, 26*8 - good, although CNS died on the 2nd set
Squats 60*10, 90*10, 90*10 - hard - was supposed to do 85 - oops.
DBCurls 16*10, 16*10 - good
Skulls 30*10, 30*10 - easy

quick question. i had to do a spin class this morning (my missus teaches so she made me go) after doing squats yesterday. is this too much? my legs feel like absolute jelly and i'm worried i'm going to lose muscle as spinning is pretty intense.

Back